1. lacrossegoalie4 macrumors member

Oct 18, 2004
    Missouri and Chicago
    I'm considering buying a Wacom tablet (thanks to an earlier thread), to supplement my ability to diagram and take notes in med. school. Does anyone have experience with one?

What are they good for/ What do you use yours for?

What are the limitations?

Are they easy to use and carry around?

Can I easily add onto Powerpoint images?

Any specific user testimonials would be helpful. Thanks!
  2. pubwvj macrumors 68000

Oct 1, 2004
    Mountains of Vermont
    I have seven of them starting back in the early '90s.
    (I'm an octopus and need one more! :)

They are great. The newer medium size ones are a good trade off and the pen with the multi-click and eraser is wonderful. Excellent customization too.
  3. RAS admin macrumors regular

RAS admin

Sep 4, 2004
    Berkshires, Mass.
    I use my old Wacom Intuos 9x12 tablet every day, it comes with the wireless 4D mouse which I use as my main mouse. It just glides so smoothly across the surface... :)

I have used it as necessary 3-button mouse in Maya, the scroll wheel is awsome, and I use the mouse for Photoshop touch-up, supercloning (video), and drawing...

I used the Inkwell for handwriting recognition a few times and it works, but I am a faster at typing on the keyboard. Oh yeah, I used to carry it in my backpack when I used to go over to a friend's house to collaborate on video projects.

I definitly recommend the 9x12 since it is perfect size for drawing and it comes with that awsome mouse. One thing about the mouse: it is completely wireless uses no batteries. How cool is that? And the tablet draws power from a USB port!
  4. JDar macrumors 6502a

Dec 7, 2003
    Wacom tablet/pen/mouse

The Wacom tablets with their customizable pen and mouse are valuable accessories for drawing, editing, retouching images, and as fond as I am of using one, I don't see how it would be useful in taking notes (probably on a laptop during lectures?)

The tablet is thin and flat but there is an eight foot usb cord on these things. That's nice for desktop use but cumbersome if you are carting it around for use with a laptop. The pen is a good device for making drawing and diagrams, but I can't see managing that in a lecture unless you have a lot of space to spread out.

Forget about handwriting recognition on the tablet for taking notes.

If you want to take your handwritten notes from class and enter them after class and embellish them with drawings at your leisure, then the tablet would be useful. Take my cautions with 0.1 gram of NaCl--after all there was no such thing as a Wacom tablet when I went to med school.