1. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

just had a chat with a lecturer today and he talked about an old mate of his (Luke Whittaker, good designer and artist) using a Wacom tablet to do all his work. but he didn't know what machine he uses, be it PC or Mac.

so im just wondering... before i toddle off and buy a Wacom tablet... how well do they run with OSX? i've tried cheaper brands but with no avail. and i hear Wacom make some of the best tablets out there. so yea. any good?

2. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Wacom is the undisputed king of tablets - when thinking about tablets, nothing else should even come to mind.

That being said, Wacom makes excellent tablets. I own a Graphire3 6x8 tablet and it's really great - tons of pressure sensitivity levels, smooth drawing and writing, and a really awesome wireless, battery-less three-button mouse. I use it all the time and it's great.

As for how well OS X works with it, I'll have to say it couldn't be more excellent. There's even built-in handwriting recognition support (Ink) if you want to use it for writing.

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Yeah, "Wacom" is ALMOST synonymous with "graphics tablet" much in the way we say Xerox (even though we may mean photocopier), Kleenex (facial tissue), and Q-tip (cotton swab). I have one here at work, and like the previous poster said, they work great.

4. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Plymouthbreezer

Happy Wacom Tablet use here!

Overall, it's a wonderful product.

5. qzak macrumors 6502

same here.. i have the 6x8 Intuos3 tablet. i took it out of the box and started using it, fell in love with it that second. the things are awesome. i highly recommend it.

6. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

wow thanks for the response :D

looks like ill have to get one then :) glad to hear it works fine with OSX too. probably get an A4/5 depending on how much i can scrape together over the next few weeks.

7. Mudbug Administrator emeritus

Mudbug

I have this same tablet - it is, hands down, the best peripheral device I own, save for my iPod. Works flawlessly.

8. stevep macrumors 6502a

stevep

I bought a little Wacom ArtPad years ago and its been really good - it still works but it has a serial connector, which makes it a bit tricky (but not impossible) with the iBook. I'm now waiting for some Bluetooth models to come out - there's a little Graphire out at the moment but I think they will extend the range soon to include the Intuos models.
    As iindigo says, and others have echoed

9. tuartboy macrumors 6502a

tuartboy

anyone here want to help clear this up (especially you english folk, with your oh-so-proper grammar)?

Way-cahm

or

Wah-come

I'm leaning to the former, but I have heard both from knowledgable people.

10. iindigo macrumors 6502a

iindigo

Well I'm an American and I say Wah-cahm, a sort of cross between the two...

11. 7on macrumors 601

7on

Way-come...

Anyway, Wacom is definitely the king of everything. I have an old Graphire 2. Oh, and use the Intous 3 drivers from their site when you upgrade the drivers. Their drivers are pretty much universal - they just stop updating the older links (the graphire 2 drivers don't work in Panther that I know of - so I have been using Intous 3 drivers since then).

Attached Files:

12. RAS admin macrumors regular

RAS admin

I have been using the Intuos2 9x12 for about 4 years. I don't know how I could ever get some of my work done without it. The wireless 4D mouse is the only mouse I use. It glides effortlessly across the surface of the tablet.

13. Spaceboy macrumors newbie

Wacom's mouse? Bluetooth?

New Apple user here (about to convert...waiting for my PB), i have had wacom before long ago, love them.

Curious if anyone can tell me whether the mouse that comes with the new tablets must be used in conjunction with the tablet connected to the computer? Or can the mouse be used on its own like any other bluetooth/wireless mouse?

Considering getting the tablet, just don't want to get a bluetooth mouse for on the road if the wacom mouse works by itself? I don't think i want to take the tablet everywhere i go!

Thanks! :D

14. FFTT macrumors 68030

FFTT

Wow thanks for the great gift idea for my daughter!

How are the Graphire models for an advanced novice user?

What would you mostly use the smaller 4X5 models for?

15. pulsewidth947 macrumors 65816

pulsewidth947

I have a Graphire 2 4x5 (thats A6) usb tablet. Its awesome, I only really use it with Photoshop when I've got a long session ahead (it reduces the risk of RSI).

You might want to play around and find the right size for you. I tend to draw small things on the corner of paper, and so the smaller tablet suits me fine. Using the mouse with it is a bit rubbish as its only got a small moving space, so I usually use my trackpad for mousing.

The first time you are in photoshop and make a mistake, then flip over the pen to erase is one of the best experiences I know of :D as sad as that is!

I just discovered Wacom have already updated their drivers to work with Tiger. Good work Wacom!

Oh and I've always pronounced it Wah-com :)

:EDIT:
    No it doesnt work standalone. It will only work on the pad, which is why it tends to get annoying using the mouse as a mouse.

I've just seen the Bluetooth Graphire, and my god I want it!!!! Shame theres no way I can afford it!

16. nagromme macrumors G5

nagromme

1. Wacom is great. I love the new customizable controls they've added to the corners. If I could have that, and 4x5 size, and rechargeable BT, I'd be in heaven.

2. I recommend the 4x5 size for most people: more than that makes for long, tiring arm motions. I find it easier to draw small, and much easier to use menus small. So I use only a portion of my 6x8! (Look at how far the tip of your mouse moved during normal use--not far at all! Mouse pads have a lot of wasted space in a sense.)

3. "Way-Comm" sounds good to me... but I'm pretty sure on the phone they actually say "Wockum!"

17. Dagless thread starter macrumors Core

Dagless

18. neut macrumors 68000

neut

Not that it's necessary now, but i'll add in my 2 bits. ;)

Wacom tablets are the ****! My wrist feel so much better after getting one. I bring mine to work because i hate my mouse now and my bosses are a bit to stingy right now to get me a 6x8 Intous 3. :mad: I use dual monitors so the 6x8 is perfect (not too much distortion if you use the whole surface). Great customizable drivers. the buttons and sliders on the tablet can be changed per app; which is a great option.

A 4x5 would be fine for a single monitor setup. Enjoy you tablet! :D

peace | neut

19. RAS admin macrumors regular

RAS admin

No, the mouse needs to be used with the tablet. No batteries required!

20. Artful Dodger macrumors 68020

Artful Dodger

I have the 6x8 Intuos3 tablet and the extra buttons on the sides are very nice to zoom in and out with. This is much better than my 4x5 just due to the extras so enjoy :p

21. iMeowbot macrumors G3

iMeowbot

According to Wacom: "The company name is derived from wa = harmony (from Japanese); com = computer." Hopefully that helps in the pronunciation attempts :D Anyway, yeah, they work super nifty keen with OS X.

22. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

My wife has been interested in a Wacom tablet. It would allow her to draw much easier. Allows for finer control that trying to use the mouse or tough pad. Hopefully someday it will work out.

23. javiercr macrumors 6502

javiercr

the mouse needs the tablet, it uses the same battery-less tech as the pen

24. derboy macrumors regular

What kind of design work are you gonna use it for?

I've got the intuos 3, which is proper good. But it also depends on the program you use it with as well. I think that corel painter 9 is the only program that lives up to the wacoms spec. Photoshop is good, but i find it slower to bash out speedy loose concepts.

Also the more 'artistic' you get with the tablet, and resolutions increase in your work, you'll appreciate a mac with a bit of grunt. ;)