Wait a second... 'It's Showtime'?

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by J@ffa, Sep 9, 2006.

1. J@ffa macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

I just had a thought. Looking at the invitations Apple sent out for the press conference on September 12th, the tagline just struck me. What if, instead of building a movie store and the viewing mechanism into iTunes (as has been the assumption thus far), Apple split this functionality into a new application named 'Showtime'? Thinking about it that way makes a lot of sense. iTunes is a music jukebox, and obviously having the iTunes music store as a part of it makes perfect sense. An application called 'Showtime', though, would serve all kinds of useful purposes. Firstly, it would make things more logical in terms of storing your content. Secondly, it could become literally THE central hub of the iLife suite. Say you have the device Apple is rumoured to be releasing to stream downloaded movies to your TV. There's no reason why you'd necesarily be restricted to just streaming DRMed movies to your TV; why not use it to show your slideshows from iPhoto, watch your iMovies, and movie trailers even? There's no end to the uses of it! Just a thought...

2. NATO macrumors 68000

NATO

I think it would make sense to have a seperate App for movie downloads. Right now iTunes kinda copes with small movies, but its hard to have them organised in the same way as you organise your music tracks but it's OK because there's not that many movie downloads.

However, if Apple intends to launch movie downloads, clearly they're going to have a pretty big catalogue and I think it might make sense to have a seperate App to organise and play them.

Good idea, I didn't really think of it myself!

3. Josias macrumors 68000

Josias

Perhaps Quicktime 8 could be used for so?;)

4. andrew050703 macrumors regular

andrew050703

aka front row renamed - more functionality so it can do movie downloads with 1-click / TV from a tuner usb dongle? who knows (apart from steve) - we'll all find out on tuesday ;)

5. J@ffa thread starter macrumors 6502a

J@ffa

Could be! Hell, maybe they'll bump the organising of the files into iMovie or something and put the viewing side of things into Front Row? But that wouldn't be the tightest solution, so some kind of backend to Front Row is more likely. That, though, obviously means Apple will need to extend Front Row to all Macs, as obviously at the moment you can only get it preinstalled on new Macs... unless you use the workaround to install it on an unsupported Mac :D.

6. mduser63 macrumors 68040

mduser63

Apple has already said that Front Row will be builtin to Leopard and will be avaialble on any Mac running Leopard. It wouldn't be inconceivable for them to release Front Row to everyone even before Leopard comes out.

7. Rapmastac1 macrumors 65816

Rapmastac1

Whoa, hold on, it's this upcoming Tuesday, OMG! I hope they release a new ipod (Not that I'm getting it right away, my iPod video is doing just awesome). But no way, I have been waiting for this moment since they said it was going to be released during an Apple Press conference back in April. Well, heres to what's to come! :D And that ShowTime app seems perfect, like iShow or sumthin, iVid would make sense too. And you could use it to organize all ur video content, what else does that (And only that, not iTunes, not WMP, and Front Row doesn't really count, cuz you can't really do anything in that cept watch em, like a DVD Player).

8. Killyp macrumors 68040

Killyp

I think they should use a separate app too. iTunes means TUNES, not MOVIES.

iTunes sucks when it comes to video organisation too...

9. Chris Bangle macrumors 6502a

10. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

This is a good thought. Apple is steering away from the All-in-one approach (iCal, Address Book, Mail, are separate apps) so it makes sense to do the same with iTunes. At the end of the day, it's more convenient to use one program for both features, but then again iTunes may become too cluttered, and not everyone wants the added features, right? It'll eat up unnecessary system resources.

Good idea, I hope it happens!

11. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

If they do make a seperate app, it would have to be called something else, since the name "Showtime" is already in use (as a movie channel on cable & satellite) to avoid any patent/copyright lawsuits :p

12. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

13. nitynate macrumors 6502a

No, iShowtime would just sound dumb.

Showtime is perfectly apple.

Ay?

14. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Yeah, hence the use of a certain smily in my post.

:rolleyes:

15. Paulhammer macrumors newbie

they should just call the new app iMovie :rolleyes: :cool:

Honestly though, Showtime is completely apple.

16. jrk07 macrumors regular

I'm all for a separate application to be the movie store/video hub on your computer. I would be happy with iTunes as a video hub if it felt like it should actually be there. To me it just feels like videos playing from a jukebox (which it is).