wait for 10.3.2? or will I pay for it?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X 10.3 (Panther) Discussion' started by sjcaguy, Dec 2, 2003.

1. sjcaguy macrumors regular

so there are lots of delays in ordering my new iBook, and now I'm wondering if I should wait to get it until Panther 10.3.2 is released?

or, if i get my iBook now, will I be able to get the update for free from Apple? At what point do I start having to purchase upgrades? Are they ever free?

Thanks for your help.

2. FredAkbar macrumors 6502a

FredAkbar

You don't need to wait until 10.3.2 is released. It will be a free upgrade. Only Panther (10.3) itself costs money, but you'd get some version of it with the iBook (probably 10.3.1) in any case.

3. bcleland macrumors member

4. caveman_uk Guest

caveman_uk

Mac OS X 10.2 (Jaguar) cost money at 10.2.0 then had free upgrades until 10.2.8 although the downloads got pretty big. These upgrades were generally bug/security fixes. 10.3 added new functionality and internal changes that couldn't be made to 10.2 without breaking stuff. At that point it became a paid-for upgrade. Presumably all the 10.3.x upgrades willl also be free.

5. Powerbook G5 macrumors 68040

Powerbook G5

All updates are free, the only upgrades you pay for are the major point releases such as .1 (Puma) .2 (Jaguar) .3 (Panther), etc. 10.3 could go up to 10.3.50 and it'll still be free until Apple releases 10.4.

6. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

The point upgrades are free to download. But if you have a slow connection they will take a long time. I think you can also buy the upgrades on a CD for $20 "shipping charge" but that's quite a lot of money for something that is free.

Having said that, there's no reason to wait as you could wait and still get a 10.3.0 machine anyway...

7. Horrortaxi macrumors 68020

Horrortaxi

Where'd you get that from?

EDIT: My bad. I don't know where my head was when I read but I somehow read that as 10.3.4. You're right--10.4 would be the next major revision and will probably cost another $130.

8. johnnyjibbs macrumors 68030

johnnyjibbs

History tells us the minor updates will be free. After all, they are mainly performance enhancers and bug fixes, not new features.

10.4 will not necessarily cost, but history tells us...

9. Noiseboy macrumors regular

All I would recommend is that you get an airport card with your iBook. The OS updates are free but as posted they can get quite big so if you don't have high speed internet you could find a hotspot to download files much quicker.