Wait for 10.5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by merrymoon, Jun 2, 2006.

  1. merrymoon macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 2, 2006
    #1
    Hi,
    I have almost enough money to buy a Macbook, and I was wondering, (I don't specifically NEED it now, the main problem with my current PC is artifacting issues with my Radeon 9800 pro.. ugh) if it would be worth it to wait for Leopard.

    Thanks!
     
  2. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 15, 2005
    Location:
    Tacoma WA
    #2
    I have decided to wait for Leopard to make my next mac purchase. My reasoning is it will save me some cash from upgrading the OS in a few months time or whenever it is released, plus that will allow any bugs to be worked out with the newer rev A machines.
     
  3. matticus008 macrumors 68040

    matticus008

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2005
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #3
    We don't have any idea yet what Leopard will include in terms of new and exciting features or even a firm availability date. Rather than wait for Leopard, I would wait for new processors if I were to wait at all. You can always upgrade to Leopard later on...but if you're prepared to wait 6-8 months for the new OS, by all means, go for it. You'll get a faster computer with Leopard on it at that time. It's a long wait, though. :)
     
  4. BlizzardBomb macrumors 68030

    BlizzardBomb

    Joined:
    Jun 15, 2005
    Location:
    England
    #4
    If you're happy to wait for another year, wait for Leopard. It'll save you a bundle rather than having to buy an update.
     
  5. munckee macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Oct 27, 2005
    #5
    I'm holding out for CS3 (I use CS daily) and will probably go ahead and wait for Leopard at the same time. Figure most of the MBP bugs should be worked out by then as well.
     
  6. Willis macrumors 68020

    Willis

    Joined:
    Apr 23, 2006
    Location:
    What feels like the middle of nowhere
    #6
    If you want a Macbook, i'd say wait. Leopard is 'said' to be out end of 06/start of 07, most likely Macworld if not before.

    AND, hopefully the Macbook may get a speed bump if not Merom chips. :)
     
  7. matticus008 macrumors 68040

    matticus008

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2005
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #7
    The bugs will just move from hardware to software. Leopard will be "rev. A" when released. ;)
     
  8. Caitlyn macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Jun 30, 2005
    #8
    It depends on what Jobs says at WWDC. I'm expecting he'll give us a date for Leopard. If it's by January, then I'm waiting. I mean, why pay the extra money to upgrade the OS when if you wait a few months, you can get it basically "free" aka included? But I am saying this from the perspective of someone who already owns a computer and isn't in desperate need of one. You may have a different situation.
     
  9. Zman5225 macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    May 15, 2005
    Location:
    Tacoma WA
    #9
    I agree, but software bugs get patched for free, hardware bugs unless defects don't get fixed, and even if they are defects, takes to much time out of my productivity with all the downtime of not having a machine.

    I'll take Leopard rev A hehe
     

Share This Page