Wait for a G5?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by themadchemist, Nov 11, 2003.

  1. themadchemist macrumors 68030

    themadchemist

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2003
    Location:
    Chi Town
    #1
    Do you guys think there will be a G5 update in January? I was thinking about buying a Dual 2, but if there's a likelihood of a Jan. update, then I'll wait.

    I thought it might be within the realm of possibility to see speed bumps to between 2.2 and 2.5 per processor in January. What do you guys think?
     
  2. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

    Kwyjibo

    Joined:
    Nov 5, 2002
    #2
    umm wrong category ... try a buying tips, and advice section ... If you want to wait and think you'll actually use the extra power then january seems about right. But also keep in mind the machine might not ship until like feb or march in theory if there was a problem with the new chips .. .thats like 6 months for a new mac
     
  3. mactastic macrumors 68040

    mactastic

    Joined:
    Apr 24, 2003
    Location:
    Colly-fornia
    #3
    Ah but it would be a revB product. Might be nice even if the speed bump isn't that great. Would be nice to see 2.4 - 2.6 Ghz chips though.
     
  4. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

    themadchemist

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2003
    Location:
    Chi Town
    #4
    thanks for the advice, thus far, guys. keep it comin'!

    As far as the wrong category--you're absolutely right, I don't know why I didn't think of that...Maybe it was my three exams & 450 pages of reading in the last five days...I dunno.

    but I'm too lazy to move it now. If a mod feels it's a huge deal, then please do move it for me.
     
  5. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #5
    I also expect the the Power Mac G5 Rev. B will be announced at MWSF. Shipping will probably not be till February at the earliest. Also by that time there should be greater compatability with software.
     
  6. manitoubalck macrumors 6502a

    manitoubalck

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2003
    Location:
    Adelaide, Australia
    #6
    What about a second 5 1/2" bay, for a second optical drive, or whatever...???
     
  7. Genie macrumors 6502a

    Genie

    Joined:
    May 25, 2003
    Location:
    heaven
  8. yamabushi macrumors 65816

    yamabushi

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2003
    #8
    I would like to see an all dual Powermac lineup at 2.4/2.6/2.8 or better. A G5 iMac at 2.0 or better would also be nice to see. Drool.:p
     
  9. themadchemist thread starter macrumors 68030

    themadchemist

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2003
    Location:
    Chi Town
    #9
    dual 2.8's would be nice, to be sure. I'm not quite that optimistic, though.

    Good point! I didn't even think about the extra expandability options that might be available. People did complain a lot about the second 5 1/4" bay.

    And then there's the (slim) possibility of faster RAM, too. I hope Apple decides to keep up on the RAM & bus game this time around.

    What I'd also really like to see is a catch-up in the graphics card dept., the only place where the Macintosh world is lagging right now. That's not Apple's fault though...Get on the ball, nVIDIA & ATI!!!!!
     
  10. Genie macrumors 6502a

    Genie

    Joined:
    May 25, 2003
    Location:
    heaven
    #10
    Yeah- me too, but I think that's more like the summer 2004 announcement.
     
  11. Lain.v2 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 6, 2003
    #11
    Re: Wait for a G5?

    If u can wait I say wait! Even if it does not get upgraded it will probably get cheaper.
     

Share This Page