Wait for iMac or Powerbook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by chameeeleon, Aug 15, 2004.

1. chameeeleon macrumors 6502

Alright, so I've been planning to switch to a Mac since I bought my iPod last summer, and the time to replace my PC is now, since my wifi card is broken, and both of my harddrives are reportedly "corrupt" (the PC repairman who came out to check out the wifi card's words, not mine - I haven't had any hard drive problems). Anyways, I'd been planning on getting an iMac G5 after WWDC, but after convincing a friend whose heading off to University to get a Mac (15" Powerbook - she loves it), I've become envious of the portability of her new purchase.
    I don't NEED a laptop, although it would be a great benefit to have a portable computer. However I'm not sure how well it would hold up in the future, given that it's just a G4, and has no FW800 port (the next time I'd be replacing my computer would be exactly three years from now).
    On the otherside, as cool as I'm sure the new iMacs will look, the specs ThinkSecret's published aren't that great, and since they're not thought to ship until September 15th, I wouldn't have my hands on it until close to October, provided that Apple can a) Keep up with the demands and b) Ship to Canada at the same time they ship to the States (which I'm expecting, but you never know). Alternatively, I could have my hands on my Powerbook in a week, much more convenient for the start of school.

My Planned Powerbook Specs (BTO): 1.33Ghz G4 12" Superdrive (4x) w/ 512 MB of RAM, 80GB, Dual-Screening with an already-owned 15" screen
    iMac Specs (guesses): 1.6Ghz G5 17" Superdrive (8x) w/ 512 MB of RAM, 160GB

I'd mostly be doing just word processing, internet cruising and chatting with some casual (meaning hobby, starting with iMovie and possibly going up to FCE) video editing and DVD burning. I've been using Pinnacle Studio 7 and a 1x DVD Burner on my PC though, so anything'll be a step up.

Advice greatly appreciated! Thanks!

2. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

3. kerb macrumors regular

you'd get a computer when you don't know for certain the specs, price or styling?

4. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

I have faith in Apple. The video card is really the only weak link in the iMac G5, and the PowerBook doesn't have a great video card either.

5. quagmire macrumors 603

quagmire

I would wait intill Paris. There were 2 new Powerbooks numbers(7,1 and 7,2 which might indicate a new chipset)found in the latest mac update. If these machines were going to be introed it would be at Paris. Even if pbook doesn't get updated at Paris I would get the pbook. The 15" pbook does come with FW800.

6. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Can't say that till the official announcement, now can we?

7. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

We know it will have a G5 processor. We know the HD will be at least as good as the G4 iMac. I think it's pretty safe to say the only big performance uncertainty is the video card.

8. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

The Mobility 9700 is the strongest in the portable market, aside from the Mobility 9800... especially if you upgrade the memory. Good stuff.

I really think the next revision will use the 9800M anyway.

9. Chip NoVaMac macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Sorry I was taking that you felt that the VRAM and card were going to be sub-par.

10. jefhatfield Retired

jefhatfield

i don't think the wait is too long if you want a new imac...in two months, you will have g5 power at your fingertips

i think it's worth the wait

11. starcrossed macrumors regular

I think the decision is going to lie solely on if you do or do not care or need for portability. I bought the Rev.A of the iMac G4 when they were released, and that computer did me justice, but after two years its now is showing its age since I wanted to get my hands on Motion but the iMac specs weren't good enough so I decided to get a new machine. So I was left with the decision of waiting for an iMac G5 or getting the newly announced Powerbooks. I ended up choosing the Powerbook because there was many time I would feel uncomfortable just sitting at my desk for long periods of time, and I would love to take my computer while I watch tv in the living room, or to work, or wherever to get stuff done away from home as well. After over a month with my Powerbook I'm glad I have it, and with my Airport Express, its really neat working from anywhere in the house and stuff. So since the latest Powerbook and possibly leaked iMac G5 specs are very comparable, if you don't mind computing at one place, go for the iMac, but if you crave portability, go for the Powerbook. But just do yourself and just wait out till the 31st to make your decision and see what these new new iMacs really have to offer.

12. Chaszmyr macrumors 601

Chaszmyr

The mobility 9700 has been the best on the mobile market for a long time, but it's still not a very good video card by today's standards. The mobility 9800 that is out now is a substantial improvement from the mobility 9700, but as you pointed out, theyre not out in macs yet.