Wait for Leopard before buying?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by stabby, Mar 21, 2007.

  1. stabby macrumors newbie

    Mar 21, 2007
    Hey all!

    So I'm in the market for a new MacBook Pro, (after wanting one for months). But now I read here about Leopard... what do you think? Should I WAIT for Leopard to be released, assuming it will then come pre-installed on all macs? Or am I safe to buy now? How much do you think it would cost to upgrade in a few months when it's released if i buy now?
    I could wait (i guess) if it's only a few weeks away and will come on all future macs.. but I also want, no NEED, a new laptop... What to do...
    What do you guys recommend?


    (sorry for all the annoying questions.. but who else am I to ask? ;) )
  2. Turkish macrumors 6502

    Jan 12, 2007
    What would be the advantage to waiting?

    $129.00 for the upgrade later?

    Small chips.
  3. synth3tik macrumors 68040


    Oct 11, 2006
    Minneapolis, MN

    Well it's really up in the air about when exactly 10.5 will be out. It is going to be a great upgrade that most people will want. So it really depends on how bad you want/need to MBP. I myself would probably buy now, but depending on if you have the money together now and really want it now would be up to you. Apple will sell 10.5 for $129 like they have with all other versions.
  4. lancestraz macrumors 6502a


    Nov 27, 2005
    1. Leopard will come pre-installed on all Mac as soon as it's out.
    2. Leopard will probable cost $130.
    3. You'll have to wait awhile for Leopard, 1-3 months.
    4. If you NEED a laptop now, GET ONE!
  5. Aniej macrumors 68000


    Oct 17, 2006
    if you "NEED" a laptop, then get it now. I personally do not need one right now, but will be making significant upgrades with the release of updated 15'' MBP come summer. If you can wait a few months for the new laptop, then hold off, but it sounds like you should just get it now, learn it well and enjoy it and then spend a little extra, not much and pick up leopard when its out.
  6. stabby thread starter macrumors newbie

    Mar 21, 2007
    Hmm Thanks everyone. I didn't know the price range of the Mac OS as this is going to be my first mac. Thats a pretty decent price so I'll probably buy now then upgrade when Leopard comes out. I was just trying to gauge whether it would be worth the wait.
  7. quigleybc macrumors 68030


    Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    i didn't wait,

    just got a MB

    my theory was,

    -when a major OS update comes out, I'll usually wait at least a few weeks and read up on it on this site to see how it's working out.

    -I feel like it won't be released to June

    if I were you i'd wait to see what happens at NAB
  8. MaaseyRacer macrumors regular

    Oct 30, 2005
    San Francisco, Ca.
    Buy the computer when you need it, you will be buying software updates no matter when you buy it. There is always something newer on the horizon, why wait, have it in your hands now.
  9. ahriman macrumors member


    Feb 12, 2007
    just to throw another consideration into your decision: the hardware is going to be updated soon as well
  10. MacNut macrumors Core


    Jan 4, 2002
    We don't know what will be upgraded tho, the rule is wait if you can or buy now if you really need it.
  11. djinn macrumors 68000


    Oct 4, 2003
    And if its Rev A Hardware, SCREW THAT!
  12. MBHockey macrumors 68040


    Oct 4, 2003
    New York
    I'd have to echo djinn's sentiments. The C2D MBPs are pretty much tried and true to this point. I just (2 days ago) sold my 24" iMac because i need a laptop now for work. I am going to get a MBP.

    Now, yes i could wait for Leopard to be released and be without a computer for however long that is, or I could wait for NAB to see if there are new MBPs released...however...i don't usually buy Rev.A Apple products, and while the 24" iMac was a good computer, it did not come without its Rev.A quirks.

    I love to be on the bleeding edge of Apple stuff, but not if it is going to hinder my day to day use of the system. I will be buying a C2D MBP in the upcoming week and will not look back...simply because it is a mature system to this point. I plan to own my systems for 3.5 years, so having those Rev.A quirks will surely get tired after 6 months even if it is the latest and greatest thing from Apple.
  13. malolans macrumors member

    Mar 15, 2007
    yeah i couldnt wait. got my macbook (man i cant stand these waits).

    btw this is my first macbook!:apple:
  14. djinn macrumors 68000


    Oct 4, 2003
    In my previous statement about Rev A production I don't want it to sound like I am bad mouthing all Rev As. There are Rev As that nobody has problems with and thats good. I just know from experience that I won't purchase a Rev A. product from any vendor, which does include Apple.
  15. pengu macrumors 6502a

    Mar 20, 2005
    Diddily Daddily...
    there are rules to buying computers?:confused:
  16. wordmunger macrumors 603


    Sep 3, 2003
    North Carolina
    Don't forget that new versions of iLife are also due, so you're talking about more like $210 for upgrades. But if you need a new computer, you need a new computer.
  17. iJawn108 macrumors 65816


    Apr 15, 2006
    That's a tough one but if you need a new computer now... well don't wait.

    I wanted my rev a macbook so I couldnt wait more. I waited till wwdc like a fool thinking leopard was coming out... no... i waited till show time like a fool thinking leopard might come out... no. Imagine if I would have waited :eek: that'd be a half a year of downtime.

    If you can wait till June then wait.
  18. djkny macrumors 6502

    Sep 30, 2003
    Tried and true LCD's that have uneven lighting, bleed on the edges, and are of general inferior quailty. if you want that, buy now; if you want more for the $2K you'll be dishing, wait until Apple gets its act together with new LED's.
  19. j26 macrumors 65832


    Mar 30, 2005
    There are rules about everything.

    Rule 1. Know that there are rules about everything.
    Rule 2. ....

    You've just broken a rule :eek: .
  20. NewbieNerd macrumors 6502a


    Sep 22, 2005
    Chicago, IL
    Yeah, that's a good point. We can probably expect big things from iLife this year because it has been so delayed, presumably to coincide with the Leopard release.
  21. pengu macrumors 6502a

    Mar 20, 2005
    Diddily Daddily...

    but the first rule is dont talk about figh... oh wait.
  22. quigleybc macrumors 68030


    Jun 17, 2005
    Beautiful Vancouver British Columbia, Canada
    no way in hell there will be new portable hardware...updates maybe, but a whole new rev A portable?

    not for a while...

    maybe a new Mini or iMac, iLife or MB/MBP updates,

    but that's it...me thinks anyway
  23. phidauex macrumors member

    Feb 26, 2007
    Rules to buying macs:

    1. Buy something tried and true, and have it be replaced by the latest and greatest in a few weeks.
    2. Buy the latest and greatest, and have it plagued with mysterious problems.

    Pick your poison. :)

    Just buy it when you need it, there will ALWAYS be something to wait for. Macs hold their resale value very well, you can always sell it and buy a new one in 9 months. The C2D Macbooks are good computers, and if you can get a refurbished one, are a great price. After the new hardware revision is released (which may not happen this summer), you're looking for at least 4 months until there are refurbished ones available. Why wait? Enjoy your mac today. :)

  24. ahriman macrumors member


    Feb 12, 2007
    y'know, although completely obvious, this just may be the best advice i have heard. any pointers to good refurb sellers? MacMall?
  25. kolax macrumors G3


    Mar 20, 2007
    Sometimes get really good deals on laptops when a new OS is released.

    I work in John Lewis, and it was like Christmas when Vista was released. We took plenty off the older XP laptops, some pretty good bargains.

Share This Page