Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

PYR0M310N

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
My mum has a iMac G4 at the moment, and it has been getting slower and slower as the updates from apple come out. so she is considering buying a macbook pro or a macbook to replace it.

Should she get one now or wait till Leo comes out. and what are the estimated rumours of when its going to come out?

jsw

Moderator emeritus
Mar 16, 2004
Andover, MA
My mum has a iMac G4 at the moment, and it has been getting slower and slower as the updates from apple come out. so she is considering buying a macbook pro or a macbook to replace it.

Should she get one now or wait till Leo comes out. and what are the estimated rumours of when its going to come out?
It should be out in a month or so. If it were me, I'd wait. It's not that far away, and she'd get iLife '07 as well with a new system.

yojitani

macrumors 68000
Apr 28, 2005
An octopus's garden
Perhaps not entirely helpful, but it shouldn't be getting that much slower. You might try using Onyx, especially make sure and run the scripts. I think that they are programmed in the os to run late late at night (early am) and thus people with laptops don't run them as often as they should. There is a way to change the schedule too..

YT

brop52

macrumors 68000
Feb 26, 2007
Michigan
Perhaps not entirely helpful, but it shouldn't be getting that much slower. You might try using Onyx, especially make sure and run the scripts. I think that they are programmed in the os to run late late at night (early am) and thus people with laptops don't run them as often as they should. There is a way to change the schedule too..

YT

Onyx is good. I'd also recommend you wait on buying a new computer. Why does she want a laptop if it's the imac that wants to be replaced? I'd also say that the G4 is plenty for what will be coming out for at least a few more years. I have an iMac G3 which I do need to upgrade soon, but the G4 is probably sufficient. What exactly is your mother doing with the computer and what is slow? If the hard drive is large enough, there is no need for defragmentation. I would recommend that you run onyx though to clear the caches and other things. Zapping the PRAM can work well too if that's a problem.

jessep28

macrumors 6502
Sep 8, 2006
Omaha, NE
The more Tiger equipped machines you have the more licenses of Leopard you will need to buy when its released.

Since you have a very short time until the release, why not hold off so any new Mac you buy will have it pre-installed.

daneoni

macrumors G4
Mar 24, 2006
Also if you wait, be prepared to deal with some bugs for possibly software compatibility issues associated with new a OS for the first few months.

One of the developers recently said Leopard is still waay too buggy.

I think the G4 could be brought back to snappy snap land with a few tweaks. I agree with the onyx idea. If you want a simple interface then try the app MainMenu.

Also do spring cleaning and delete old files you're no longer using. Also if you wanna go all out, backup your files and simply re-install your OS you'd amazed at the speed improvements this brings BUT try the above suggestions first.

ganjagecko

macrumors newbie
Mar 4, 2007
need a new laptop

Hi, I was wondering if I could get your advice?

I had to travel for 3 months, and I before I left I sold my PowerMac G5 to buy a Macbook Pro when I returned (I needed a laptop). Anyway, I have 3 more weeks left before I return and start college again and I'm out of computer.

Right now I'm using a veeery old sony vaio I borrowed. Should I stick with that until Leopard is released? or should I buy it as soon as I get back? This PC can be a real pain in the neck (more than the rest of them). I didn't want to buy it before I left because I didn't want it to get stolen or anything. A buddy of mine just got his MBP stolen, not a nice experience.

PYR0M310N

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Aug 29, 2006
Well if what people are saying to me is true, then i would hold out, if you think you cope with a pc for that long!

emptyCup

macrumors 65816
Jan 5, 2005
You have two issues here. One is whether you should buy a new machine the other is your mother's G4 which is getting slower. A machine should not get slower with time unless you are running out of disk space or running new, or more, programs which are putting increased demand on the computer. I would check into that.

As for the new machine, either buy it now because you need it now or wait until Leopard is released.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.