Wait for leopard?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by machurdler, Nov 12, 2006.

  1. machurdler macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #1
    I'm thinkin about asking my parents to get me a MacBook for Christmas, but with Leopard coming out in spring, I'm not sure to wait to get one when Leopard comes out so I don't have to go out and buy Leopard when I can buy it with my MacBook
     
  2. gr8tfly macrumors 603

    gr8tfly

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2006
    Location:
    ~119W 34N
    #2
    Tiger is very capable. You'd most likely be missing several months of usage, not to mention a cool xmas gift. IMHO

    Just depends on whether those months of enjoying your Mac are worth $129 (which has been the going single user price).
     
  3. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #3
    seems like you made up your mind if you don't want to go out and buy leopard. what exactly were you asking?

    tiger isnt bad and to upgrade is 130ish
     
  4. puckhead193 macrumors G3

    puckhead193

    Joined:
    May 25, 2004
    Location:
    NY
    #4
    Tiger is great, but leopard is/will be better :p ;)
     
  5. youthpastor macrumors newbie

    youthpastor

    Joined:
    Feb 13, 2006
    #5
    Unless you absoloutely need the computer to get critical tasks completed--which I doubt since you are getting this as a possible Christmas gift...I would say just wait for Leopard to come out and then purchase a Mac with Leopard on it.
     
  6. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

    adrianblaine

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2006
    Location:
    Pasadena, CA
    #6
    I don't know if you qualify for the Apple student discount, but Tiger is only $69.00. Even $130 isn't too bad when you think about it. I'm going to miss the student discount when I graduate in 6 months...

    If you are able to have your parents to buy you a $1,000+ laptop, I'm sure you could afford to shell out a little bit to upgrade later on. But if for some reason you don't need one right away, then it doesn't hurt to at least wait for the new iLife in January.
     
  7. Josias macrumors 68000

    Josias

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2006
    #7
    Just keep in mind, that if you get it before Jan. 10th, you'll also miss out on iLife '07. So $129+79= 210 dollars for a few months.

    I know it's not the same, but my mom and dad just gave me a homemade giftcard for an "Apple compiter of your choice". I wanted an iBook thingy, but from reading MR, I could see the MacBook was about to be announced (I was confirmed on May 12th 2006). The 16th of May, Apple announced the MB, and I got mine on the 23rd. Not as big a wait as yours, but if I were you, I'd wait.

    Though people tell you not to wait for new hardware/software, since you'll be waiting forever, you should look relatively on every situation.

    If you buy now, instead of waiting till spring for iLife '07, Leopard, and a new revision of MBP's, you'll miss out on:
    Leopard
    iLife '07
    802.11n
    GPU upgrade (they won't keep the same GPU for 3 generations)
    Higher screen res. (15 and 17" may be jacked to 1680x1050 and 1920x1200 due to Leopards res. independence)
    Possible MagLatch and user replacable HDD
    Santa Rosa (flashbooting. from powerbutton press to fully loaded desktop is around 10 seconds)

    plus many additional features Apple may have up its sleeve.

    After that revision, the only thing you'll miss out on from waiting is currently Blu-Ray/HD drives, and possible prices drops and ExpressCard/54, which both are probable in next revision.

    I'd say, wait for the next revision. In this case, it is worth the wait.;)
     
  8. Manic Mouse macrumors 6502a

    Manic Mouse

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2006
    #8
    You should wait, the Macbooks will get an upgraded GPU (X3000), new processor, flash booting and more around April. I'm holding off until then.
     
  9. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

    Grakkle

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2006
    Location:
    Earth
    #9
    But what about nanotech bioprocessors and mind-reading software.:eek: ;)

    I guess it all depends on how much you need the computer. I'm an impatient fellow myself, and if someone was offering to buy me a computer I'd probably do it. But waiting definitely has some benefits, especially since Leopard will be coming out soon-ish.
     
  10. Maxwell Smart macrumors 6502a

    Maxwell Smart

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2006
    #10
    Going By Josias's logic, I'd say to wait too. Just makes more sense unless they absolutely need it.
     
  11. Josias macrumors 68000

    Josias

    Joined:
    Mar 10, 2006
    #11
    He's getting an MBP FFS!:p
     
  12. adrianblaine macrumors 65816

    adrianblaine

    Joined:
    Oct 12, 2006
    Location:
    Pasadena, CA
    #12
    It just seems like a long time to wait. Of course I'm coming from an "absolutely need it" point of view.

    All the upgrades mentioned by Josias are great updates, but they aren't groundbreaking. I consider the speed bump achieved by leaving the G4's behind and being able to run any OS I want pretty major and that's why I'm upgrading now and not later.

    And I'm pretty sure he has been talking about the MBs and not the MBPs. The only probable updates coming to the MBs are flashbooting, (which the new intel macs boot pretty darn fast already) and official 802.11n.
     
  13. anariel83 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2006
    Location:
    Saint Louis (world champs)
    #13
    seriously... with technology there is ALWAYS going to be something new that you will have to wait for. unless any of the possible updates are something that you cant live without, why wait? think of all the updates that are going to happen over the next few years that you are going to have your macbook... and, if they release leopard within 30 days of your purchase, you will most likely be able to get it for $10 (thats what they did with tiger). get for x-mas and enjoy it... thats what im gonna do.
     
  14. Tymmz macrumors 65816

    Tymmz

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2005
    #14
    I would go for a MacBook at x-mas. Wait till Leopard gets released then wait for a few updates to make sure it's stable and has not too many bugs. Then update your OS. Tiger is a great OS.

    Don't miss out on several month of the so called "Mac Experience".
     
  15. machurdler thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Oct 7, 2006
    Location:
    USA
    #15
    I think I will get it for Christmas. The main thing I was wondering about was buying Leopard. I'll just buy it when it comes out. But if anyone had more to say keep goin... lol. :D
     
  16. Grakkle macrumors 6502a

    Grakkle

    Joined:
    Oct 6, 2006
    Location:
    Earth
    #16
    Which really is worthwhile. Once you've used a mac...you'll have a hard time resisting the urge to walk up to pc users and give them a sermon.

    They're so much better.
     
  17. savanahrose macrumors 6502a

    savanahrose

    Joined:
    Jul 31, 2006
    Location:
    just this side of heaven, CHARLESTON SC
    #17
    gift cards?

    Does Apple have gift cards that your parents can give you in place of the computer? Or maybe they can give you the macbook and a gift card or an IOU for leopard when it comes out.

    This way you will have something to open for christmas.
     
  18. dukebound85 macrumors P6

    dukebound85

    Joined:
    Jul 17, 2005
    Location:
    5045 feet above sea level
    #18
    id get it. i mean it wasnt long ago that people were like "ill get the macbook once it has merom"

    at any rate tiger not bad at all and is alot easier to use than windows in my opinion. need i just mention expose and f11 lol

    waiting for an os is not like waiting for a new computer. they differ by like a factor of 10 or greater in price. just something to consider now that the macbooks just came out and xmas is like a bit over a month from now
     
  19. macg4 macrumors 6502a

    macg4

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2003
    Location:
    Des Moines,Iowa
    #19
    i agree there are some advantages for waiting, but the real choice in the end is up to you my friend
     
  20. tdhurst macrumors 68040

    tdhurst

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2003
    Location:
    Portland, OR
    #20
    Huh?

    Uh...I'm pretty sure you're making that up.
     
  21. anariel83 macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2006
    Location:
    Saint Louis (world champs)
    #21
     
  22. fivetoadsloth macrumors 65816

    fivetoadsloth

    Joined:
    Aug 15, 2006
    #22
    i think it really depends on those criteria. id say go for it and be happ you are getting an amazing machine either way.
     
  23. TequilaBoobs macrumors 6502a

    TequilaBoobs

    Joined:
    Nov 12, 2006
    #23
    hypothetically speaking...

    ... couldn't he purchase the MB now, and when Leopard comes out, just DL it off Limewire or Bearshare? (assuming he lacks morals)
     
  24. AvSRoCkCO1067 macrumors 65816

    AvSRoCkCO1067

    Joined:
    Sep 6, 2005
    Location:
    CO
    #24
    We don't condone that here - he should purchase it now and just plan on picking up the license then. Seriously, for an OS, 130 bucks every few years is not too much to ask.

    PLUS - he doesn't NEED Leopard right away, so he can always wait a while even after its released before he picks it up :)
     
  25. jessep28 macrumors 6502

    jessep28

    Joined:
    Sep 8, 2006
    Location:
    Omaha, NE
    #25
    Agreed. The Mac OS upgrades aren't "as crucial" as the PC upgrades due to them not being as drastic.

    People still run Panther without a problem.
     

Share This Page