Wait for Leopard???

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by macNEWBIEswitch, Dec 13, 2006.

  1. macNEWBIEswitch macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2006
    #1
    In addition to other possible upgrades in (maybe) Springtime, is it worth it to wait for my first MBP because of the Leopard operating system? I hear that some people think MBP could do a lot of upgrading to return it to it's former set-apart aluminum glory.
     
  2. livingfortoday macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 17, 2004
    Location:
    The Msp
    #2
    This has been asked a lot. The best answer is - if you need a new computer now, get it now. If you don't, wait. There'll always be something newer and better at some point down the line.
     
  3. gr8tfly macrumors 603

    gr8tfly

    Joined:
    Oct 29, 2006
    Location:
    ~119W 34N
    #3
    It'll probably be 4 or 5 months (at least) that you could be using the machine. In all likelihood, the upgrade will be $129.

    As for quality, the majority of the machines are fine - no heating or noise problems, if that's what you're referring to. Screens really no different than previous (for example, new C2D 17" light leaking along bottom is very very close to my 17" PBG4 (non-DL)).
     
  4. macNEWBIEswitch thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2006
    #4
    I know it's been asked a lot. However, this will be my first MBP and it's more than just the Leopard. Some people feel that the MBP could do a lot more to return to it's "set-apart aluminum glory" than where it currently stands. This ALL being said, do we "rumor" that the upgrades will be signicant enough (Leopard + other functions) to justify waiting. I can wait but don't necessarily want to wait.
     
  5. Veritas&Equitas macrumors 68000

    Veritas&Equitas

    Joined:
    Oct 31, 2005
    Location:
    Twin Cities, MN
    #5
    My Lord, NEWBIE is right! LOL. You've posted like 7 topics asking various questions all within a day or so...welcome my friend.
     
  6. ChrisA macrumors G4

    Joined:
    Jan 5, 2006
    Location:
    Redondo Beach, California
    #6
    No matter how long you wait to buy, if you wait just a little longer they come out with something else. If you need a computer buy a computer if you don't need a computer then what will change in march to make you need one?

    Maybe I can make that more clear..."If you need a computer, buy one. If you don't, don't buy one." or
    "If you need a computer buy one, if you don't need a computer, wait until you do need one then buy it."

    Seems silly to wait for Apple to announce something new and then buy it then unless there is a huge coincidence of you needing a new computer at that exact same time.
     
  7. suneohair macrumors 68020

    suneohair

    Joined:
    Aug 27, 2006
    #7
    I don't think waiting for Leopard qualifies for the same answer always given.

    "There is always something better around the corner."

    Yes there is blu-ray, new intel cpus, better gpu, 802.11n blah blah blah. Those things are forever changing. You can't stay ahead of the curve.

    With an OS, you have a little more time. We have had Tiger for awhile now. With Leopord so close, it makes sense to wait. Especially considering I think Apple will drop some surprises on us for MWSF. An earlier shipping date to lay it down on Vista is very likely.

    Of course if you NEED a computer RIGHT NOW. Then yes, you have no chance. But if you have the ability to ask if you should wait, my guess is that you can and you may as well.

    Waiting for hardware is silly. Waiting for the OS is a smart move as it saves you money on the upgrade. Wait for MWSF at the very least for more Leopard information.
     
  8. iW00t macrumors 68040

    iW00t

    Joined:
    Nov 7, 2006
    Location:
    Defenders of Apple Guild
    #8
    What is this set apart aluminum glory that you are talking about? Aluminum is always crap, if they come up with new carbon fibre casings, perhaps then we can start talking :)

    Since you said you can wait, then you have made the choice for yourself.
     
  9. jholzner macrumors 65816

    jholzner

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2002
    Location:
    Champaign, IL
    #9
    I'm in the market for a new Mac but I'm waiting for Leopard and iLife 07. Sure, I could use the computer now but I'd rather wait and get all that software preinstalled and save about $210.00 in upgrade fees.
     
  10. AppleIntelRock macrumors 65816

    AppleIntelRock

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2006
    #10
    If you own a mac: might as well wait

    If you don't own a mac: SWITCH NOW- AND NEVER LOOK BACK
     
  11. j26 macrumors 65832

    j26

    Joined:
    Mar 30, 2005
    Location:
    Paddyland
    #11
    Pick a point in time, and stick to it, otherwise you will just torture yourself. Now, January, after Leopard comes out, whatever time suits you, but just remember the longer you hold out the more impatient you'll get.

    And OSX is great. The longer you wait, the longer you do without it.
     
  12. macNEWBIEswitch thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Dec 13, 2006
    #12
    Now I've really confirmed my NEWBIE status by NOT returning to the forums for almost a week after my machine gun threads. Thanks for the welcome and thanks to all whose posts I just read. Very helpful!:)
     

Share This Page