Wait for new ipod or buy now?

Discussion in 'iPod' started by MacintochAddict, Jun 13, 2006.

1. MacintochAddict macrumors newbie

Two months ago my brand new video ipod was stolen on a plane. It sucks. I have an old old old ipod but it doenst hold battery but it doest hold my songs. I have money to get a new one. When I went to the appple store in dallas i was told to wait for the next generation. The guy working told me that it will either be a full screen video ipod (which many people think is fake) or an ipod with bluetooth head phones (I havent heard anything about this). I am wondering if i should wait for the next generation to come out, or go ahead and buy the new ipod before i go to school in a month.
    Thanks
    corry

2. sjpetry macrumors 65816

sjpetry

You could replace the battery of the old one. That'll cost you $20 if you do it yourself. Or you could buy a used iPod video on eBay for under $200. By the way, if you replace the battery on your old iPod then sell it, you'll most likely make a profit which can go towards your new iPod.:)

3. thejadedmonkey macrumors 604

thejadedmonkey

I'd wait a little while, it's about time the ipod gets updated I think...

buyers guide says this:

Last Release: October 12, 2005
    Days Since Update: 245 (Average = 145)
    Recommendation: Don't Buy - Updates soon

4. conditionals macrumors regular

Firstly, worst apple store employee ever.

Also, replacing the battery wouldn't help, because, as his iPod is not "holding songs," it sounds like a much more serious HD problem.

Lastly, the buyer's guide is stupid. The average iPod update time is NOT 145 days. Indeed, I'm surprised it didn't reset with the launch of the new U2 iPod.

5. luckylisp macrumors 6502

If it was me, I'd just buy one now. The full screen video doesn't matter much to me as I mainly only use my iPod for music. But if the full video screen really appeals to you, then in that case I'd wait and see. Although the full screen is not a guaranteed thing, of course.

6. conditionals macrumors regular

Yeah I would wait for a month or two. I mean, it may not be a full screen version which is finally released, but if not, it will def. have a higher capactity HD and hopefully better battery life.

7. ezekielrage_99 macrumors 68040

ezekielrage_99

My iPod died a few weeks ago and I have tried to fill that empty space in my life with friends, family and even religon.....

If there's a newer model coming out soon I'll wait till then :D

8. kjr39 macrumors 6502

FWIW, I'm waiting for a new model to come out...

9. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

i figure i still don't have enough money saved up... sooo... while i'm waiting for the money to come, i might as well wait for the new ipods too. hopefully they'll both come around the same time :)

10. chairguru22 macrumors 6502a

ask yourself whether you really want an ipod video? are you gonna watch a lot of shows on it? i got a new one because my old one died and it does have the video capability for the off-chance i want to watch a tv show or something

11. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

but, just remember that these are all just rumors. no one truly knows what the new ipods will be. knowing apple, they've got some tricks up their sleeves that no one has thought of yet...

12. billchase2 macrumors 68000

billchase2

i know this is bringing back an old topic of mine, but i figured it was better than starting a new one.

i'm still stuck. i've STILL been waiting. since i recently graduated from college, i have some money saved up. sooo... do i buy the 80gig version? or keep waiting for this rumored widescreen video ipod to come out. any opinions?

13. mdickson macrumors regular

My opinion is that if you really want an iPod just buy a current model. If a "true video" one comes out whenever so what? Just enjoy yours.

14. bill4588 macrumors 6502a

bill4588

yeah i would get the 80GB. iPods were just updated so I wouldn't expect an update within the next 6 months (but who knows for sure?). And the battery life has been improved along with a lower price point.

15. LillieDesigns macrumors 6502

LillieDesigns

I was going to go for the 80gb, but I decided to get a 2gb refurb nano for $99 on apple's website to tide me over. I figured I'd use it with the sport kit to get back in shape before the full screen comes out and i sit on my lazy behind watching videos. I'd wait.