Wait for next gen Imac??!!?!!

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by peterhaunted604, May 9, 2006.

1. peterhaunted604 macrumors newbie

I've been reading these forums trying to decide wheter or not it is worth waiting for the next generation of imacs with the new chips (forgive the laman terminology)

so my question is this, should I just get one now or is it worth waiting? and if the upgrades are substantial enough, when will they be in effect?

thanks

2. dukebound85 macrumors P6

dukebound85

Is the current imac too slow for your needs? Do you think anybody has any real idea what the specs will be? We have a hard enough time figuring out the macbook specs and thats going to be released pretty soon. My advice is to get it if you need it and don't if you don't need it.

3. ddrueckhammer macrumors 65816

ddrueckhammer

Personally, I'm waiting to see if there is a Student Union iPod deal this summer. That will put me back to late June/ early July so I might as well wait for a new iMac as well...

If I didn't qualify for student discounts I would probably buy a refurb now as the Merom is supposed to only add 64-bit; which, unless you need it for certain applications won't increase speed. The next iMac might come with a larger HD in the 17", a better video card, or a thinner case (they are still using the same casing from the G5 only with a notebook processor) though so it might be worth it.

Like others have said. Buy when you need it. If you can wait and won't go insane then wait.

4. TheMasin9 macrumors 6502a

TheMasin9

buy now and be happy

get an imac, there have been few problems with the new core duo imacs, and if u do have any problems, from what i understand apple has been replacing the imacs more readily than the mbps..

5. Dont Hurt Me macrumors 603

Dont Hurt Me

There isnt any reason not to get one now, Imac has turned into a nice all in one machine thats got it all for most folks. Good cpu,Good graphics, good screen if you dont mind the stretched screens they use. Go get one.

6. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I would get one now. I got mine 4 weeks ago and it´s a very good machine. I use it for editing and some photo work. I can´t imagine it will be a huge upgrade, but that´s just my speculations though.
    The iMac is more than enough power for most people who don´t make a living off their machines

7. macsrockmysocks macrumors regular

This is a great machine. First mac ever. Got it about 3 weeks ago and love it! All I need to do is install a 1Gb stick. 512Mb is not enough..

8. pinto32 macrumors 6502

The new mobile chips are supposed to be about 20% faster than the current Core Duos, plus have lower power requirements. But, if you want it now, get it now...PPC to intel was the big jump...now its just normal upgrades...

9. count chocula macrumors 6502a

count chocula

just get one now, there will always be something newer, better, and cooler in the future. the current imacs are amazing machines, and i can understand wanting the newest machine, but newer imacs wont change how great the current imacs are. get one now and be happy with it

10. peterhaunted604 thread starter macrumors newbie

thanks again

ya, I am one of those people constantly on the look for the newest and best but in this instance I think you are right and I will just get the latest version. I use my computer for video and music editing although by no means am I a professional.

hmmm, now do I upgrade the memory to 2 GB like they recommend or what

also, anybody here use the wireless keyboard and mouse? any problems with these?

11. j26 macrumors 65832

j26

I use the BT keyboard and have no problems with it at all. It's a very nice keyboard, and I'm used the PowerBook one (which is bloody excellent) I also have a Kensington BT mouse and it's fine, except when waking from sleep, so I have to pop out the battery and pop it back in again, and all's fine. I didn't want the wireless Apple mouse, as it only has one button.

A regards getting one now or waiting, it depends. If you can work away with what you have, you can wait, but it's likely to be another 3-4 months. If you need something now, get it now, and if you're switching from PC, do it now - the change to OSX will be all of the change you need.

Personally I'm waiting, because I have no desperate need to get one at the moment but if you want an iMac now, they're a damned fine machine by all accounts, and you will be happy with what you get.

12. D34th macrumors regular

There are also rumors that you will be able to swap the processors. How true are these statements?

13. yoak macrumors 65816

yoak

I use the BT keyboard and mouse, they work great. I have heard that the mouse is not too precise if working on details in Photoshop etc., but that´s not an issue for me. The clutter free desk is such a treat to the eye (if I only could tidy up the mess all around my iMac;) )
    I got 1 gig of RAM from Apple, will get another in the future from 3rd party.
    1 gig seems to be ok, I usualy keeps alot of programs running