Wait for powerbook intel or buy now?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by ipodrocker, Oct 28, 2005.

1. ipodrocker macrumors member

ipodrocker

hi guys & gals, im in the market for the new powerbooks right and my main question do i wait for the intels or will i get one at christmas

any ideas in what order the intels will roll out? i.e are the powerbooks going to last ??

thanks

2. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Hard to say what order they'll come out, but it would make sense for the PowerMacs to be first as they were with the G5. But, others have mentioned that the MacIntels are going to run much cooler and use less power, thus being perfect for PowerBooks. We may see the PBs at the same time as the PowerMacs.

But the other thing to consider, is that the current PBs are at a great price point right now. Depending on what you'd like to do with your Mac, a 1.67 GHz G4 may be good enough. Remember, support for the Freescale processors isn't going away anytime soon. Universal Binaries will ensure that you'll be able to keep running your programs.

3. munckee macrumors 65816

I was recently in the same quandry. I decided, based on much of what I've read here on macrumors, that the best bet for me is to buy one now and consider replacing it in ~18 months.

The standard thought process for the moment seems to be that the PB's will come out with a lesser intel chip (yonah I think?) first with an upgrade expected somewhere shortly (6-12 months) after. General consensus seems to be that the yonah based PB's will be a short term "fix" and that the best bet is to wait for the second gen. intel PB's.

4. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

If you need a new Power Book right now, I would buy it, if you can wait for the new ones, then do it. It really depends if you really need it right now.

5. smwatson macrumors 6502a

smwatson

i know this is a little off topic, but will all macs bought now with the powerpc chips be made instantly obselete by the introduction of intel chips, or will they remian viable for 2 years+??

6. shane-o-mac macrumors regular

shane-o-mac

Mmm..dunno. The intel powerbooks will most likely have a form factor redesign and be a lot sweeter when it comes to cpu power and battery life. However the first generation intels will likely not be as stable as the current powerbook. Ultimatley it is up to you!

7. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Viable for 2 years from today, or viable for 2 years from when the Intel Macs debut?

I would agree to the former, not sure about the latter.

8. hvfsl macrumors 68000

hvfsl

I am pretty sure Apple said the PowerMacs will be the last Mac line to be upgraded. They already have a decent cpu (the G5).

The Mac mini is meant to be the first to be upgraded to Intel (probably at MacWorld SF in Jan). Then I would expect a PowerBook upgrade around June (because the current G4 ones aren't very good value for money compared to PC laptops).

But what it really comes down to is whether you need a PowerBook now or not. If you do, then go out and get one, otherwise wait for the Intel PowerBooks.

9. plasticparadox macrumors 6502

Just out of curiosity, when did Apple say that? I follow the keynotes and rumors as well, but I don't recall seeing that.

10. ipodrocker thread starter macrumors member

ipodrocker

cool thanks for the info, i dont really need a powerbook right now just an imac g5 for the family house so at least im a postion to say im a switcher to the mac, my main reason for asking i dont want to be waiting too long for the mactels as i would like to use my edu discount to get something off the powerbook.

also what is this yonah people so on about? sorry if im not with the lingo guys

11. wPod macrumors 68000

wPod

yonah is the code name for one of the intel chips. just like calling OS 10.4 tiger. once the chip is released for production it will be given some official name like Pentium M 760 series (thats not the actual name, just an example).

time wise i think the powerbooks will be one of the first to get upgrades, simply because the PB G5 has been so anticipated but never produced. the specs of the iBooks and PBs are very similar, so by upgrading the PBs first, they will be able to finally differentiate the power line of laptops from the regular consumer line (the i line). im deffinitly waiting for an intel PB . . but my PB is only 2 years old so ill at least wait 3 full years, or maybe even till its 4 years old to get a new PB. (though right now i really really want a PB with USB2 so i can get an iPod video!!!)

12. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I don't know if Apple explicitly stated this, but the fact of the matter is that the PowerMacs will be the last Mac to go Intel. ;)

Apple will arm that machine with a Conroe/Woodcrest, and since those are not out until the second half of 2006, we will not being seeing any Intel-based PowerMacs until 2007. :cool:

13. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

This will be interesting. Initially I would have said that the PowerBooks would wait for Merom, later in 2006, but with this realtively mediocre update, this makes me think perhaps they will adopt Yonah instead at a sooner date, as these current offerings will not keep users happy for another entire year. If Apple would have dropped the 7448 into the PowerBooks this go around, sure, that would help tide people over, but with this update, I'm thinking the PowerBook will be going Intel sooner than I initially anticipated. :cool:

14. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Nice to see that you are finally being seduced by the dark side. ;)

Hickman

15. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

Don't expect intel Mac until June '06. Thats the date that has always been mentioned by Apple, and Jobs. Anyone who is sayin MWSF '06 is just pure speculation. If you can't wait till June of next year, then I would buy now.

16. cepler macrumors member

cepler

If you need something now, don't bother waiting. If you can way a year or two, then consider waiting, but remember that the Intel Powerbooks will be first generation products with the usual possible problems. The PPC laptops will not evaporate immediately when the Intel macs come out :)

17. generik macrumors 601

generik

Please don't keep spreading this rumor.

There is nothing that says "till June of next year", what Steve said is that *by* June next year IntelMacs will be in the market. He did *not* say they will come out only then.

Get the difference between a dateline and a starting date? GOoD!

I would strongly recommend the OP wait though. The current G4 processors are even lacking when compared alongside the current PMs (as in Pentium-Ms), when compared to the dual core Yonahs it is going to look so bad you will want to junk your PB 6 months down the road.

And I do foresee you will lose a lot of coin in that upgrade, after all nobody wants to buy into a dying platform and buy a second hand PPC PB then. You might either end up stuck with it, or forced to sell it for dirt cheap.

18. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Ah, but if Apple does go with Yonah in the PowerBooks, the question then is what will they do with that model? Only keep it around for 6-8 months before redesigning it again for Merom? Keep it for a year or longer so it is in the market for a decent amount of time and not adopt Merom right away, even though that is the ultimate solution which Apple has its eyes on? Interesting... :cool:

19. iEdd macrumors 68000

iEdd

I for one am likely to wait for intel for my powerbook 12". I've been waiting awhile for an update.... And still waiting...

20. GroundLoop macrumors 68000

GroundLoop

Even if Yonah is only in the PowerBooks for two revisions, Apple will more than make up their R&D costs. The pent up demand for a "real" notebook from Apple is incredible. Intel doesn't stick with a single chipset/processor combination for any length of time. Apple has to adapt and react unison with their suppliers. While we may not know what is coming after Merom, I wouldn't be surprised if the next chip is introduced around 12 months after Merom.

Hickman

21. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Actually, this is a very good point. The move to Intel is a paradigm shift, and Apple will have to adapt to a faster pace of development in this respect. Utilizing a chip architecture for less than 12 months will have to become the norm, and not just Apple, but us users of Apple products will have to get used to this as well. ;) :cool:

Exciting times ahead!

22. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

i might be selling my pc laptop soon. if i do, and that's a big if, i would want an apple laptop. i like the powerbooks, but the 12" got left out of the upgrades. would it be smart to buy now? is the 15" worth the money to buy over the 12"? i would just hate to spend that kind of money and then see a huge increase in performance or something within a year. (mactels, form change, etc)

23. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

Well, unfortunately, that's the wonderful world of technology. ;) The PowerBooks will most likely move to Intel within a year and will undergo a bit of a redesign as well. When in 2006, I'm not sure, but with the recent less-than significant updates, I'd say sooner rather than later. They may even move to Yonah as a result before Merom.

24. twoodcc macrumors P6

twoodcc

so if you were in my situation, would you buy one now? i do need a laptop for college (i guess i could live without a laptop, but i dunno)

25. ~Shard~ macrumors P6

~Shard~

I say if you need a PowerBook now, and the current PowerBooks will handle all your needs, buy one. There will always be something bigger and better down the road, and your purchase will be obsolete the day you buy it, whether it's now or 6 months from now, so buy what you need, when you need it and you should be happy and have no regrets. The current PowerBooks are definitely great machines, and there is always the possibility that the first batch of Intel-based PowerMacs may have some issues, as with any Rev A machine, so this may be a reason to be cautious when buying one of the first ones.

It's your decision in the end though. :cool: