Wait for Powerbook vs tax free, free ipod mini?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by MacKenzie999, Aug 18, 2005.

  1. MacKenzie999 macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 24, 2002
    Location:
    Boston
    #1
    Ok, here's my dilemma:
    Massachusetts had a tax-free holiday the other day, and I snagged a 15" Powerbook. With this came an iPod mini, so all told I saved about $300.
    Now I hear new PB's are due in a few weeks.

    I'm wondering how many of you would return the PB, giving up the savings, in hopes that the new PB's will be significantly better?

    As far as practicality goes, I could easily get by with a wimpy iBook. I have a beefy G5 for all my heavy lifting (and my lifting is heavy, I animate for a living). I just like the PB's more, I guess it's an aesthetic thing. I'm not poor, but I'm also far from made of money.

    So...this is all very subjective I know, but I'm curious what any of you might do in this situation. Thanks!
     
  2. Superhob macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jan 8, 2004
    #2
    I'm in the same boat. I was about to buy a new pbook to take advantage of the free ipod, but I've decided to wait until I get some solid info about any new pbooks. Since the ipod promo expires on Sept. 24th, I'm hoping there are some leaks/rumors that spill the beans before the actual announcement in Paris.
     
  3. persianpunisher macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 28, 2005
    #3
    you know, if there IS a PB update, it will most certainly be minor, IMO not worth returning your Current PB and get screwed out of a free ipod mini.
     
  4. mobi macrumors 6502

    mobi

    Joined:
    Jul 26, 2004
    Location:
    Penn's Woods
    #4
    My last two PowerBook purchases were mis-timed and a new Rev was released within 1-3 months after purchasing each.

    If you are happy with the purchase - load up your software and stop looking at forum posts about new Powerbook Rev's...It will drive you to insanity..trust me!
     
  5. lfielder06 Guest

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2004
    #5
    I just purchased a new 15" to take advantage of the free ipod deal. I agree that if there are updates which is likely they will only be processor updates and nothing else. Keep what you have it will last you for a long, long time. :)
     
  6. ak004m macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2005
    #6
    I'm waiting to purchase my PowerBook.

    For one, when they do get updated, err, if they do get updated, they will most certainly come with a price drop as well so there's a good chance you'll save $100 or so right there.

    And doesn't the free iPod Mini go untill Sept 24th? Job's keynote will be on the 20th, right? So correct me if I'm wrong but won't you still have an opportunity to pick up a free Mini if they release updates then also?
     
  7. PaRaGoNViCtiM macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Mar 18, 2005
    Location:
    PA
    #7
    If I were you, I would totally keep what you have.
     
  8. matticus008 macrumors 68040

    matticus008

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2005
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #8
    I would NOT expect a price drop. The prices for PowerBooks are fairly stable. They can't drop prices without the consideration that they may have to raise prices again in the future. Raising a price $50 will stop more sales than dropping the price $100 on a product everyone knows is expensive.

    With the Intel switch, we might see PowerBooks come down in pricing, but since the last price drop was less than a year ago, I really, really wouldn't count on it.
     
  9. mpopkin macrumors 6502

    mpopkin

    Joined:
    Nov 14, 2003
    Location:
    Chapel Hill, NC
    #9
    rumors say it will only be an upgrade on the 15" and 17" pbooks and some say it will be big and others small, with apple you cannot tell, what is most important is if you like the laptop you have. North Carolina just had a tax free weekend and i bought an ibook 12" with a iPod photo, because i am happy with that(i have a g5) but more importantly is that i am planning on making my next large laptop purchase on a intel pbook that will be more powerful in a year or two, this laptop could just be a median laptop,
    dont forget that you will lose approx $150 or more when u return your laptop, which is the standard apple policy(read their sales and return policy) that is a lot of money to swallow just to have the same machine, assuming that u like your laptop, greater resolution is great, but why not wait until a new model comes out next year or the year after next. save ur money

     
  10. bammac macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 20, 2005
    Location:
    Melbourne
    #10
    I say take it back and wait for this great revision, I'm putting my machine on eBay now in anticipation for this widely speculated update.

    I am sure it will deliver the 30MHz increase that I desparetly need over soon to be obsolete 1.67GHz machine.

    I can't wait to see the xBench results and see how many m/secs it shaves of my Photoshop Splash screen.

    It may even give me an extra 1 FPS increase in Doom 3.......to take it to 12FPS!!!!

    How dare critics comment that Apple does not deliver on updates. I think that the 1.7GHz machine will surpass our expectations faster than the PowerBooks already blistering FSB.
     
  11. matticus008 macrumors 68040

    matticus008

    Joined:
    Jan 16, 2005
    Location:
    Bay Area, CA
    #11
    But wait now! The 30MHz (I'm secretly holding out for 50MHz, though) might squeak out *2* FPS more in games. Also, the battery life should be stellar with these new, low-power chips. I mean, it's not like the LCD and hard drive are the biggest power munchers or something crazy like that.
     
  12. ak004m macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 17, 2005
    #12
    wow!.... for supposed 'mac fans' you two hold a lot of animosity towards the company
     
  13. lfielder06 Guest

    Joined:
    Dec 5, 2004
    #13
    I dont take it as animosity, just that there is not going to be a huge big powerbook update in september.
     
  14. skubish macrumors 68030

    skubish

    Joined:
    Feb 2, 2005
    Location:
    Ann Arbor, Michigan
    #14
    any update will be minor: processor bumper, HDD capacity up, maybe but the 9700 video card in the 12".
     
  15. BlueT macrumors member

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2005
    #15
    The G5/Dual Core/HD Rumors are Wrong

    There is NO WAY that they'd upgrade the PowerBook to anything more than a simple, incremental step. Look at the iBook, Mac Mini, eMac, and last PowerBook update as evidence.

    Despite all the fanfare, it's obvious that the next big secret will be an iPod release of some kind, or a brand new product. Everyone predicted this at the beginning of the Intel rumors and I'm saying it again: small, barely noticable changes until they wave the Intel wand; then expect some major changes.

    For a bunch of die-hard fanatics, people around here have a really short memory. I remember all the bitching and moaning that was going on when Jobs originally announced the Intel switch; everyone here thought that Apple's stock would tank because no one would buy any computers until the switch, yet here we are now, a few months later, and Apples are still selling like hotcakes.
     
  16. amin macrumors 6502a

    amin

    Joined:
    Aug 17, 2003
    Location:
    Boston, MA
    #16
    I bought the same PB at the same time knowing all the rumors, so you know where I stand on your question. Definitely not worth it at this point for you to return.
     
  17. bammac macrumors member

    Joined:
    May 20, 2005
    Location:
    Melbourne
    #17
    Mate, you totally misunderstood where we are coming from. What we are saying is that he should keep the machine and enjoy it, stop worrying about updates as he has a great deal as is.
     

Share This Page