Wait for santa rosa?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by iBookG4user, Aug 11, 2006.

  1. iBookG4user macrumors 604

    iBookG4user

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #1
    I've decided that my iBook needs an upgrade and I decided I want to sell my gaming desktop to help pay for a MBP. The problem is that I don't know whether I should wait for santa rosa or just buy a merom macbook pro when they come out. I will do a lot of video encoding, all my gaming will be done on it, playing video, running windows and photoshop. (I took out all the nonprocessor intensive things) I've already found a potential buyer of my desktop computer so if I waited til santa rosa then I would be without a gaming computer until then. I would get a fully maxed out MBP either way with 2GB RAM and a 160GB Hard drive. Another question would having someone else put in the 160GB hard drive void my warrenty?
     
  2. LoveMacMini macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 30, 2006
    #2
    Wait for it if you can, if you're too ancy then buy it now.
     
  3. daveL macrumors 68020

    daveL

    Joined:
    Jun 18, 2003
    Location:
    Montana
    #3
    Long Wait

    Santa Rosa is due out until March '07. What is it about Santa Rosa that you need? The rig you are selling now will probably not be worth as much next year.
     
  4. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

    ®îçhå®?

    Joined:
    Mar 7, 2006
    #4
    Ugh, this question has come up on countless occasions but should i wait for Merom?? The answer is, if you need the MBP, then get it ASAP!! If you can afford to wait, wait. Just because Santa Rosa is coming out in Spring, doesnt mean that the SR MBPs will too. No one is going to persuade you to wait or not, just ask yourself if you need it.
    And why would your warrantey change if you someone else put it in instead of you??? It will still be the same.
     
  5. iBookG4user thread starter macrumors 604

    iBookG4user

    Joined:
    Jun 27, 2006
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #5
    I meant like an apple repair tech to put the hard drive in. And I wasn't talking about waiting for merom, I was talking about waiting for Santa Rosa. And about what I need Santa Rosa for is simple, the less time it takes to encode the better. I was also thinking about a better GPU being in the Santa Rosa MBP so more future proof for gaming.
     
  6. WildCowboy Administrator/Editor

    WildCowboy

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Jan 20, 2005
    #6
    Hold off for about ten years...computers will definitely be able to encode video faster then.

    The point is that there's always something bigger, better, faster, or some combination of those things right around the corner. If you always wait for the next thing, you never get anywhere. Will the next generation of machines be better than the current generation? One would certainly hope so, or they're doing something wrong. You need to weigh for yourself at what point you need the computer. You say you've already found a buyer for your gaming rig, so you'll be without something to game on until you decide to pull the trigger on whatever it is you decide to buy. To me, that would argue in favor of buying sooner rather than later.

    Will Santa Rosa be better? Yes. But can you wait that long? That's something only you can answer.
     
  7. ravenvii macrumors 604

    ravenvii

    Joined:
    Mar 17, 2004
    Location:
    Melenkurion Skyweir
    #7
    Santa Rosa isn't worth waiting for, since it's such a long way off. Merom might be worth waiting for though, as it (should) comes very soon.

    Don't wait for tech that's too long ways off. Think about it, once Santa Rosa comes, you'll be like "but NewChipsetX is coming in 6 months, should I wait?!?!!!?!?one!!!eleven?!". Just get it now.
     
  8. mmmcheese macrumors 6502a

    mmmcheese

    Joined:
    Feb 17, 2006
    #8
    I suggest waiting for whatever is "next." So whatever is current on the day you're considering it....wait for whatever is next....of course as soon as next comes out, you should wait for whatever comes after that. Rinse and repeat.
     
  9. Sun Baked macrumors G5

    Sun Baked

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    #9
    Merom gives you the ability to run the 64-bit extensions, the new chipset may get you an extra 2GBs of RAM in the portable.

    Likely the biggest thing to come with the next chipset will likely be a switch to Mini-PCI Express for wireless -- maybe.

    Which may be when we see 802.11n and Airport Express 2 in that and the Mac Pro which just made that switch to that form of Airport.

    Of everything the 64-bit extensions will be the most important, since they get you the next gen apps -- the other stuff everything will work, just slower.
     

Share This Page