Wait for the 2010 MP or BUY USED?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by Murray M, Apr 25, 2010.

  1. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    #1
    OK, so like everyone, I need a MP. And buying a new one with the 2010's just around the corner seems like a bad deal.

    I'm really considering just buying one used. I can get a great used MP for around $1500 with some solid features.

    Should I wait for the 2010 or buy used?
     
  2. Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #2
    That depends on your needs. Will four more cores (six core CPU Gulftown) be worth 3000USD for you?

    And with every of these threads, the question has to be asked (otherwise it's redundant guesswork from our side of the screen): What are your needs?
     
  3. thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    #3
    Good Q.
    I'll use it to edit DVCPRO HD 1080P footage in FCP. That and edit 300-600GB images in PS CS5 when it comes out.

    The money: I'm fine with spending $3K on a new one and I'm also fine with spending half of that on a used one and using the saved money on other stuff. I'm fine both ways.

    The time: I suppose I could wait a couple more weeks, but I REALLY don't want to wait till September, as recently rumored.

    Wait or go used?
     
  4. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2010
    #4
    Let me clear things up a bit. You are NOT going to have to wait until September to purchase an updated Mac Pro. If Apple waits until September, there's going to be a s*%t storm. Believe me, even Apple knows the current Mac Pro is way out of date (for a "professional" product, anyway...).

    I seriously expect the updated Mac Pro anytime in May. It's up to you if waiting another couple of weeks is worth it or not.
     
  5. macrumors 6502a

    tekboi

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    Location:
    New Orleans ✈ WesŦward
    #5
    I would buy used. I doubt it will be much of an upgrade anyways. They'll just slap the gulftown processors in there and that will be that. None of the other requests users have been screaming at apple will be addressed.

    Why waste your time?
     
  6. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Mar 16, 2010
    #6
    I agree I think Between Ipad and Iphone season(May). We will see our Pros.
    June would be to long to wait considering there are many other manufactures making the update to the six cores I think apple knows if they hold out to long it could hurt them.
     
  7. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2010
    #7
    Because the new processors start at about $1,000. The current processors are only about $300. Take into account that the new models will (most likely) be at the same price points, and you have your answer.

    Even if it's only a processor update, at least Apple isn't ripping us off nearly as bad.
     
  8. macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2008
    Location:
    Texas
    #8
    I think Apple will update the GPUs too. The current ones in the Mac Pro are even more outdated than the processors. I'm hoping to see at least a 5870, I think a 5970 would be amazing but I don't think Apple would do that.
     
  9. Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #9
    Do you edit 300 to 600 images or images that are 300 to 600 GB (GigaByte) in size?

    If it is the latter, may I know what kind of images those are?
     
  10. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Mar 22, 2010
    #10
    Purchased late cycle G5 - thought it was a good deal - PPC discontinued weeks later

    Never purchase late cycle again!
     
  11. macrumors 68020

    Kissaragi

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2006
    #11
    I was waiting for the 2010 mac pros, but after finding an ex demo 09 mac pro on ebay at a fantastic price a few weeks ago i went with that.

    I just hope that when apple upgrades the mac pros, the new graphics cards are 09 compatible.
     
  12. thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    #12
    Single images that are 300-600GB. I'm printing at the 40" x 90" (ish) size. I'm thinking that a 2008 or 2009 MP would be fine for this--what do you think?
     
  13. thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    #13
    Excellent point.
     
  14. thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    #14
    Great point.
    You might have convinced me to wait through May. But if the last Tues in May comes and passes, Apple is going to miss my money.
     
  15. Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #15
    You can multi-quote via the [​IMG] button on the right side of the [​IMG] button and then clicking the [​IMG] button, as consecutive posts by one poster in short intervals are not abiding to those rules you signed up to when registering here.


    Btw, how can such a "small image" (90" = 229cm) be such a big file? Do you have hundreds of layers? And how many 100TB HDDs do you have to use to archive those files, or do you split them onto CDs or DVDs for storage?
     
  16. thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    #16
    Thanks for the heads up about multi-quote (I'm new here and other forums I frequent don't use that feature yet). I had no idea I was breaking a rule.

    [Completely embarrased here] I meant mb, not gb. Ha.

    So with that clarified, would you agree that a 08 or 09 MP would be fine?
     
  17. Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #17
    Ah, that would have been a drag with GBs.

    If you can wait until the end of June, when Apple most likely holds its WWDC, a probable time to introduce new products, then I say wait. Even 300MB files are a drag somehow, and why not get as much processing power as you can get. And as one poster said before, the new CPUs are more expensive, and if the Mac Pro prices tay the same, it will not be as much of a rip-off as todays machines. And as far as I have gathered the '08 MPs have much better value for the price than the '09 editions.

    Also take a look at the refurbished section of Apple's Online Store to get better prices on current machines. You might run into trouble with a used one.
     
  18. macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #18
    Given the software usage described, a Quad core would be sufficient, the higher the clock, the better. The upcomming hex SP system will be the W3680, which is 3.33GHz, and the most expensive SP Xeon out there.

    So though it seems great, the additional cores may not be of much use (as PS seems to only be able to use 2x cores, unless I've missed that this has been increased in CS5).

    Go for whatever comes in cheapest, which is likely to be a refurbished system ('09). You can even get a base model and upgrade the CPU (just make sure the math works out first).

    Now with the funds saved, put it towards solving system bottlenecks, such as RAM and disk I/O (which would be noticed on a daily basis).
     
  19. thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 19, 2010
    #19
    1) What's the best bang-for-the-buck amount of ram you would suggest for handling DVCPRO HD 1080P footage in FCP? I was thinking somewhere in the 6 to 8 GB--sound right?

    2) By "disk I/O" you mean the speed of the harddrives--right? If so, for my purposes would you recommend 7200 or 10,000 drives?

    Thanks--this is really helping.
     
  20. macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #20

    If your statement with 300 - 600 GigaByte :)eek:) per image is correct, I'd recommend a serious (external of course) RAID system. I'm pretty sure nanofrog can help you with that. ;)

    I really can't image how PS handles such large files.
     
  21. macrumors G4

    Joined:
    May 6, 2008
    #21
    I'd stuff in as much as possible that's reasonable.

    Using 2GB sticks, you can get 8GB, with 4GB sticks, up to 16GB. CS5 can utilize that memory as well. As per how well it utilizes it, I'm not 100% sure, but I'd think it could use 16GB just fine.

    Yes, but also RAID.

    Ideally, you could run an SSD for the OS/applications drive (fastest at random access reads), and a mechanical RAID (2x disk stripe set) for the file storage (SSD's aren't good for high write conditions, but mechanical is).

    Just make absolutely sure to run a proper backup system, which can consist of a single drive.

    This would only be 4x drives total (1x SSD, 3x HDD's). You'd even have options as to where you can put them (empty optical bay can be utilized).
     
  22. Guest

    spinnerlys

    Joined:
    Sep 7, 2008
    Location:
    forlod bygningen
    #22
    The OP was confusing MB with GB, as stated in one of the earlier posts.
     
  23. macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 30, 2008
    Location:
    UK
    #23
    Oh crap. Didn't see that. :eek:
     
  24. macrumors 6502a

    tekboi

    Joined:
    Aug 9, 2006
    Location:
    New Orleans ✈ WesŦward
    #24
    If they keep the prices the same, then you would have a point. But, that's no guarentee with apple. I do think it would be wise on apples part to NOT increase price. Unless they really want to kill their pro market.
     
  25. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 29, 2010
    #25
    I'm pretty sure they are going to keep the prices the same. If they raise them at all, it is going to be VERY minimal. If they lower the- oh wait, never mind, that won't happen. :p
     

Share This Page