Wait for Tiger 10.4? Will Apple give recent orders free upgrade?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by chan0429, Feb 11, 2005.

1. chan0429 macrumors newbie

This is my first time ordering a Mac; I just ordered a Mac mini and found out that I get to pay for major upgrades (one coming out soon). Do I wait a few months for "Tiger" (I heard end of March) to save $129? Or do you think that Apple would have pitty on me and give me a free upgrade? Anyone have experience with this?

2. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

It's actually posted in about 128 threads, you get a $19.95 upgrade if you get a machine the day of (or after) "The New OS is Shipping on x day/month" announcement.

Anything else costs you $129 to get Apple to have pity on you and cough up the new OS.

3. chan0429 thread starter macrumors newbie

Any idea when they'll be making the announcement?

Just kidding, I know such things are shrowded in secrecy... I heard about the Amazon fiasco where they posted that orders would ship on March 31st (something like that). I hope they make it soon. I've already submitted my plea to customer support via the order status web page... I guess we'll see. I hope they make an announcement soon.

Thanks for the quick response.

4. lsfz88 macrumors newbie

Is the tiger going to be only on eMacs or on thw notebooks too? I am planning to buy a powerbk soon, so shall i wait or not?

5. Demon Hunter macrumors 68020

The tiger will be prowling on all of Apple's current computers. :D

If you can wait, I would. If not, it will be worth the $129.

6. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

Just wait.

Lots of rumors thats its going to be March, But more likley April - May.

What Mac are you buying?

7. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

any ideas on how much tiger will be in the uk?

its not really going to concern me because i am going to get a new comp after it is released, that way it saves me the cost. just thoght others might like to know?

8. madrobby macrumors regular

madrobby

My personal assumption is Tiger (in stores "now") and Powerbook G5s ("august" or so) are announced in June at WWDC. So much for the "recent" orders.

Because I can't image anything special about PowerMac updates, they will be there sooner, maybe February or March?

We'll see eventually.

9. Platform macrumors 68030

Platform

Will the new OS come with all the machines straight away or will it be like iLife that many of them still go with iLife 04 not 05 :confused:

10. madrobby macrumors regular

madrobby

Only if they invented a way to magically alter the contents of harddisks in already packaged products... :rolleyes:

11. stevehaslip macrumors 6502a

stevehaslip

Tiger will probably retail for £99 in the UK, as did Panther when it was released (I think) But I'm hoping that I will be able to get it for £69 with my educational discount. :)

12. BakedBeans macrumors 68040

BakedBeans

thanks steve, i thought as muich

13. benwa02 macrumors 6502

how far in advance does apple normally say for releases? 2 Months before shipping.......?

14. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

If Steve does it the same way as with Panther, then it may just be a matter of weeks. Looking forward to a Tiger release party also. If you purchase Tiger at the retail Apple Store then Mac products are 10% off. Took advantage of this with Panther. I think I would hold off on a purchase at this point until WWDC.

15. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

you know i'm realy looking forward to tiger and i will not mind spending £99 for it either! quicktime 7 looks FANTASTIC does anyone know if this is a seperate app? or is this built into the OS ?

rock on tommy :D

16. Kwyjibo macrumors 68040

Kwyjibo

I think tiger just went from alpha to beta .... recently, I think panther spent a whole summer in beta b4 release so I would be guessing june too

17. chan0429 thread starter macrumors newbie

When is WWDC 2005?

When is WWDC 2005 scheduled? I already have an order in the system. My plea last night (er.. this morning) came back with an automated response, something to do with not commenting on rumors about decisions, products, programs, or promotions that Apple has not officially announced. Yeah... so my new question is does anyone know if I used the 90 days same as cash offer this time (I think I'm going to cancel my order), if I could use it later?

18. mcgarry macrumors 6502a

mcgarry

chan, is there a particular feature of Tiger you feel is critically important in this case? Because I wouldn't count on the March date. Could happen, but so could you waiting a very long time to get the Mini you want.

19. chan0429 thread starter macrumors newbie

There kind of is, the "automator", spotloght, RSS in Safari. And I just don't want to have to spend $129 that I could spend on a USB MIDI keyboard instead or even have done the CPU upgrade (I got the 1.25 because I didn't think the 170 Mhz + 40 GB were worth $100).

20. billystlyes macrumors 6502a

My bet is Tiger first week of May.

My bet is Tiger first week of May. Hey May 6th is my Birthday! Really though my new Mini 1.42 had some coupons in it but I know in the end I'll have to cough out 100 bucks for Tiger. They won't give any deals. If your not a early adopter right now no matter what Mac computer you want you should probably wait for Tiger.

21. Nomad macrumors newbie

i just ordered my mini last thursday from microcenter.. my first mac. ( been using pc's since i was 8)

anyways, i have been reading about tiger a bit, and i am really liking what i see, except for the speculation that i could come out after may 6.

may 7 the school stoe closes, and i dont get an educational discount! :(

heres hoping for an april release. :D

22. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Koodauw

The bottom line

The facts are that no one here really knows when Tiger will be released. Any info we can give you just our own assumptions based on what we have experienced in the past. Trying to play the guessing game that you are playing is a big gamble. If you can wait for Tiger, (and pe prepared to wait untill Summer) then you will get more for your money in the way of computer. If you need it now, then expect to pay the upgrade $$$. The guessing game you're trying to play is like spinning your tires in the mud.

23. Bangpow macrumors member

what's usually the cost to update from the current OS to a new one??

For example, to update Windows 98 to XP was like $100, but i see that OS X is $129 straight up! So, is the update from Panther to Tiger gonna be that much?

24. tdhurst macrumors 68040

tdhurst

Come on...

Jaguar was $129, Panther was $129...see a pattern? I amazes me that people can spend thousands of dollars on an a new mac and than complain about spending an extra $130 (which, to be honest, isn't required because it's not like your panther equipped mac will stop working when Tiger hits the shelves).

So...my point here is...buy a mac now if you need it...and quit worrying about upgrade costs. Think of the fact that you don't have to buy any antivirus software. The cost would be about the same...

25. Bangpow macrumors member

So basically you just have to buy the brand new OS, there's no discounted upgrade cost??

That's fine, $129 for a new OS isn't bad at all considering some of music software is upwards of $300.