Wait on Powerbook or not?

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by broncoball, Sep 21, 2005.

  1. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2005
    Location:
    KC
    #1
    I am going to buy a 12 inch superdrive powerbook, but i hav waited for the last month, intisipating an update at the expo. should i go ahead and just buy it or do you think there will be an update in the mere future?
    On a side note - i was wondering if i hav some songs on my itunes on a pc that might contain viruses could the viruses be transfered to the mac if i upload my songs to it?
     
  2. macrumors 6502a

    bursty

    Joined:
    Jan 31, 2004
    Location:
    STL
    #2
    Since there were no updates at the expo, I wouldnt expect any PBs until Christmas at the earliest. I say go ahead and buy it now.
     
  3. macrumors G4

    dmw007

    Joined:
    May 26, 2005
    Location:
    Working for MI-6
    #3
    No updates so far, the last day of the Paris Expo is Saturday 9/24/2005. Although, I thought that they tried to release "important" things on the first day......

    So there is still a slight chance of new PowerBook G4's. Maybe. :)
     
  4. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2005
    #4
    My vote is buy now.
     
  5. macrumors 68040

    Naimfan

    Joined:
    Jan 15, 2003
    #5
    I would echo the others--if you need one, just buy it. The fact that the Mac Minis are (apparently) in the process of being updated makes me think that Powerbooks won't be in the near future.

    Best,

    Bob
     
  6. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Jun 6, 2005
    #6
    Id say buy it till you actually need it. I mean if you waited out a month, its obvious you dont really need it anytime soon, if even at all. It wont hurt to wait, but it also wont hurt if you buy it now.

    No matter when you buy it, you'll still be very happy with your purchase.

    IMO if you really need to buy it, buy it next wednesday. So if there was to be any updates near the expo, you cant beat yourself saying you didnt wait.

    Again if you really dont need it, dont bother. If you absolutely need it within 2 weeks, quickly get it and get acquinted
     
  7. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2005
    Location:
    OZ
    #7
    i would wait one week or so...does it make any difference to you having it tomorrow or in two weeks time? maybe not....

    i'm waiting myself...com'on! there must be an update!
     
  8. thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2005
    Location:
    KC
    #8
    Thanks i think i will wait till next week and see how things play out.
     
  9. macrumors 68040

    powerbook911

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    #9
    Yes, I would wait a week or two.

    Apple does not make minor speed bumps during the big events. For example, the last Powerbook update came two weeks after MacWorld.
     
  10. macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Sep 15, 2005
    #10
    :cool:
    tic...toc...tic...toc...

    I am waiting for my pb update...
     
  11. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    Location:
    The heart of Europe
    #11
    I'm not going to buy a PB at its current pricepoint. I think there will be an update (nothing revolutionary, though) or a price cut after the end of that "Student Union"-Offer.
     
  12. macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 13, 2005
    Location:
    Uppsala, Sweden
    #12
    I'm going to wait until Tuesday, or perhaps the Tuesday after that, then I will place an order. I’m not in great need of a PowerBook; I have a decent PC, but I'm getting tired of waiting to switch - I just want one, basically.
     
  13. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    Location:
    The heart of Europe
    #13
    In .at the student promo lasts until Oct 8th. This is considerably later than in the U.S. I hope for updates or price drops to be announced in this period. If there's nothing on the way, I'll get an iBook in the beginning of october.
     
  14. thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2005
    Location:
    KC
    #14
    thanks for ur advice.
    does anyone know the answer to my second question?
     
  15. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jun 7, 2004
    Location:
    kc
    #15
    (JMF)
    I guess i would just go for it if your really want it. I am in the same situation as you and i am waiting one or two more weeks then buying. Go with what u want, youll be happy with what you buy.
     
  16. macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Mar 15, 2005
    Location:
    The heart of Europe
    #16
    Viruses in your songs? :confused:
    If that's the case they will be transferred but they won't affect your Mac.
     
  17. macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2005
    #17
    I say wate because the current powerbooks are monstrously overpriced especially when compared to other power laptops and even the ibooks.
     
  18. macrumors 6502a

    i4k20c

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2005
    #18
    Idk, i went ahead and got it and am on it right now, in fact, i just opened in 10 minz ago! hahaha, this thing is amazing and i'm in love, thas for sure! i'm glad i got it, i assume if there is a update, the latest i'd wait is this tues (reason i didnt is cuz my bro wanted a ipod, and we could use a photo printer,=) so i took advantage of both those rebates! if anything, if there is a upgrage, i will ask nicely for the upgrade, or ppl have told me that they got me 100 bux back...
     
  19. macrumors 68000

    Joined:
    Feb 12, 2005
    #19
    i think there is a slim chance of getting an upgrade without having to pay the restocking fee. BUT, there is a good chance you could get $100 back, if not more, depending on how much this discount the previous models like you and i own right now. it'd pretty much be a pricematch.
     
  20. macrumors 6502a

    i4k20c

    Joined:
    Sep 10, 2005
    #20

    yah, 100 bux to me would be fine..jus means i can upgrde in 3.5 yrs rather than 4 ;) idk, i dont think any major update wil happen, only thing i want? I guess compared to my roomate quoismo laptop, the screen could be nicer, and idk..it does get a bit warm.. but i can think of anything id honestly want... :eek:
     
  21. macrumors 601

    generik

    Joined:
    Aug 5, 2005
    Location:
    Minitrue
    #21
    Normally.. when people posts threads like "Should I buy XXX now", it only means one thing.

    Deep down in their hearts, beneath all the fanboism and the mutated brain cells from Steve's RDF, there lies a doubt.. a doubt that the current lines remotely resemble good value for money.

    You'd be better off waiting. Nobody *needs* a computer, especially one that is barely faster than what you currently have. Just wait a few months. The superior Intel architecture will blow your socks off and make you regret your buying decision now.
     
  22. macrumors 6502a

    drake

    Joined:
    Jul 5, 2005
    #22
    Get out there and buy....a Thinkpad. Then wait to add the OS X to it.
     
  23. thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2005
    Location:
    KC
    #23
    will u really be able to do that?
     
  24. macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 24, 2005
    #24
    Saying that you will be able to put OS X on a ThinkPad is no different than saying thew PowerBooks will be here on Tuesday.
     
  25. thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 13, 2005
    Location:
    KC
    #25
    Would I be able to buy the current powerbook and if they do update it be able to return it for the new one? I know there is a restocking fee, but what are the details on that?
     

Share This Page