wait or get now?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by knicksfan58, May 7, 2004.

  1. knicksfan58 macrumors member

    May 6, 2004
    i'm a long time pc user and am looking at powerbooks for school. i need a laptopop by september, but i'm very impatient and would like one now if no improvements will come by then. my question is this - is it likely that, even if no pb g5's come out by september, some updated versions will. and if that's the case, is it worth waiting for?
  2. JzzTrump22 macrumors 65816

    Apr 13, 2004
    New York
    I don't think there will be any more major updates on the powerbooks by then. And I HIGHLY doubt there will be a g5 by then.
  3. Macmaniac macrumors 68040


    The G5 powerbook will not come out until MWSF at the earliest, and I will bet you money on that. Moto's parent chip company recently announced roadmaps for possible 2ghz G4 chips so we could still be on the G4 for awhile!
  4. reaper macrumors 6502

    Apr 9, 2004
    19th Hole
    Yeah, I would get the PB now. The new revs just came out, and it doesn't seem likely that Apple will get a G5 into a PB anytime soon. So, when you think about it, if they update by September it will only be a 3-4 month span between updates, which isn't consistent with Apple's past update record.

    - reaper
  5. Chaszmyr macrumors 601


    Aug 9, 2002
  6. Steven1621 macrumors 6502a


    Apr 10, 2003
    i too needed a PB for school in the fall. now is a great time to buy for there will certainly not be another update before then. i think i can almost ensure you of that one.
  7. jxyama macrumors 68040


    Apr 3, 2003
    are you already in school? make sure to get edu. discount, if you can...
  8. aussie_geek macrumors 65816


    Apr 19, 2004
    Sydney Australia

    Take the plunge now and get a Powerbook G4. As others in this thread have said, Apple has just updated the Powerbook line and now is the best time to buy.

    Check out the Buyers Guide page on this site and make your decisions from there. I doubt Apple will bring out new models for a while..

    aussie_geek :cool:

    Buyers Guide :

  9. aswitcher macrumors 603


    Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ

    No PB G% likely before september imho.

    Do you really need that power increase?
  10. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a


    May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    If you get it now, you'll regret it when Apple does their discount in year end. Why buy it when you don't need it? Once you buy it, you'll be buying a load of stuff to go w/ it. The PB price might not decrease until then, but the other stuff like RAM surely will. Then you'll be kicking yourself. Unless of course it's not your money, then by all means get the jumbo "I need a camping backpack" 17" fully loaded PB w/ 2GB RAM now.
  11. BrianKonarsMac macrumors 65816

    Apr 28, 2004
    if a $100 to $200 savings on extras is worth it to wait 5-6 months for a computer, then maybe you'll regret it.

    the 17" is far smaller than many people make it out to be. a girl at school has one and i mistook it for the 15". a fully loaded 17" with 2GB ram is pointless for a student. even a pro would find a hard time justifying 2GB ram, unless he was using HD or uncompressed content on the road...

    get a nice 12" now, you won't see updates by september, and the G5 PB won't be here before 2005 (add six months to release date before it ships). it's extremely portable, and more than capable as a desktop replacement if you have an extended desktop setup (spare monitor, which youll definitely have at school). and it will always be small (i predict no 12" G5 on first revision, you heard it here first :D).
  12. FuzzyBallz macrumors 6502a


    May 2, 2003
    Home of Al-Qaida
    How do you know he's not majoring in graphic design? Are you a pro? Are you speaking for every pro? Do you know why maxing out the RAM is the 1st thing Mac users do? Hmmm...

Share This Page