Wait or get the DP 1.25ghz G4?

Discussion in 'Macintosh Computers' started by jhall, May 28, 2003.

  1. jhall macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 28, 2003
    #1
    I need to get a new mac to run soft synths and the like for music production. I finally have the moola; but, I am afraid to get a new G4 right now:

    Seems like new Macs are around the corner, although I am not going to wait for those, Apple usually gives the current line one last speed bump to move the remaining inventory. Is the DP 1.25ghz machine of those, or is something coming in say the next two months that I should wait for?

    Thanks in advance!
     
  2. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

    patrick0brien

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2002
    Location:
    The West Loop
    #2
    -jhall

    The next generation PowerMacs based on the PPC970 architecture are rumored to be boxed and staged ready for shipment awaiting an announcement at WWDC next month.

    Wait.
     
  3. Pancake macrumors regular

    Pancake

    Joined:
    Apr 7, 2003
    Location:
    Anchorage, Alaska
  4. jhall thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 28, 2003
    #4
    So you think the current G4 line is the last of the speed bumps before the new machines come out? If I do wait, and the machines are just awaiting for Mr. Jobs to announce their arrival, how do you think before they conceivably start shipping after the announcement?
     
  5. patrick0brien macrumors 68040

    patrick0brien

    Joined:
    Oct 24, 2002
    Location:
    The West Loop
    #5
    -jhall

    Normally I'm one to never advocating waiting, but with the 970's right around the corner - I think we high-end users have waited long enough so that waiting one month will be more than worth it.

    Yes, I think they'll be true to form and be able to be bought the moment Steve Jobs announces their existence. There will be four configurations: "Fast", "Faster", "Fastest", and "Ultimate". Though if they stay truly to form, only the "Fast" and "Faster" configs will be actually headed out the door with a 'delay' of the "Fastest" and "Ultimate" configurations to go about a month or so after that.

    Personally, I can't wait to see the new form factor...
     
  6. ddtlm macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2001
    #6
    jhall:

    It is almost certain that the current PMacs are the last version that will pack G4's. I don't believe all these rumors about stockpiles of shiny new PPC970 systems ready to go, but I say it's likely that such systems will be announced later this summer, or perhaps in the fall.

    Just to live on the edge, I'll hazard to guess that if you wait to buy, I bet your wait will be 4 months at the minimum.
     
  7. Foxer macrumors 65816

    Foxer

    Joined:
    Feb 22, 2003
    Location:
    Washington, DC
    #7
    Don't wait. Buy the DP 1.4 that I'm putting on eBay tomorrow.

    You know you want to...:D
     
  8. jhall thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 28, 2003
    #8
    Thanks all. I guess I'll just go for it. Now, if all of my apps will get ported to OSX. Well, that's another story...
     
  9. ddtlm macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Aug 20, 2001

Share This Page