wait or not?

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by zoran, Nov 7, 2005.

1. zoran macrumors 68020

When are the new power IntelMacs coming out? any rumors on this matter?
    Should i wait for them or shall i just purchase a G5 with the powerpc dual cores?

2. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

The intel PowerMac/PowerBook lines are supposedly coming out in the summer of 2007.

3. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

Whats going to be released in june 2006 then?

4. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Intel-based consumer Macs such as the mini most likely. This is all speculation though as Apple has kept pretty quiet about what's happening. :(

5. Melkor macrumors 6502

6. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

7. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Well, the G4 will be replaced before the G5, that's a pretty safe assumption. So, do you need the G5 now? PPC will continue to be supported for quite a while after the transition. How long do you plan on keeping it? Could you get by with a disposable mini for six months? :)

8. mdavey macrumors 6502a

mdavey

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard.

I think it is pretty unlikely that new machines will be launched at the June 2006 show. Some (like the updated Mac mini) will likely be launched before them and others (probably those that currently have G5 processors) will be updated or superceded after then.

There will be some other minor announcements at the June show too (perhaps updates to the iPod range, accessories, software and incremental upgrades to some of the Mac product line), but they'll need to spend a lot of time going through the new stuff in Leopard.

If you want a Mac mini, Powerbook, PowerMac or iMac, I'd suggest buying now - Apple will be supporting the PowerPC architecture for at least 3 years and likely for the next 5 years. The PowerMac in particular represents incredible value for money. The iBook is looking a little long in the tooth now in my opinion and if I were tinking of one of those, I'd probably wait and see if Apple performs an incremental update or end-of-life's them.

[updated to add last para]

9. w_parietti22 macrumors 68020

Remember, the Rev. 1 intels are going to have lots of problems. (software wise)

10. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Yeah, considering the PowerBooks just had one minor change in their last update and difficulties abound, the Intel switch could get interesting...

11. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

mini? no way im a graphic designer i need the xtra power! unless they can make an imac with dual core!!!

12. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

what does Rev.1 mean?

13. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Just the first ones they make. They'll likely have teething problems. :(

14. munkle macrumors 68030

munkle

Remember, this is all speculation...

15. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

i cant remember apple having any problems with their rev1 machines

do u?

16. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

^^Then I guess you never bought one. *snickers*

Change the display on the 15" PB, and problem after problem is announced.

Change an entire line to another type of cpu architecture and "logic board," and you're talking about numerous massive problems.

And it seems as though Apple doesn't even test their products anymore. All it takes is a few guys at Apple to use their own product for 2 weeks before releasing it. I don't see how so many blatant quality issues were made without anyone noticing. :confused:

17. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

does anyone else second these? i must say the "cpu architecture and "logic board," isnt very specific! at what cpu do u mean Abstract?

18. DarkNetworks macrumors 68000

DarkNetworks

wait....

19. zoran thread starter macrumors 68020

why?

20. Lyle macrumors 68000

Lyle

Historically, there have been at least minor problems whenever Apple has made a change to the hardware configuration. For example, when they changed the display on the 15" PowerBook a few years back, there were numerous problems in the first revision. Apple went back to the drawing board, corrected the problems, and came back with a much more reliable "Revision B" of that model.

Now, the plan is to make a significant change, to a completely different CPU (from PowerPC to Intel processors). They might get it right the first time, but it's not going to be a surprise if the "Revision A" models of the new PowerBooks, etc. have some problems that need to be worked out.