Wait 'til June 6 for a new PowerBook?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by NoCleverSNForMe, May 10, 2005.

  1. NoCleverSNForMe macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2003
    #1
    Well, folks...I've finally raised enough money to buy a 17" PowerBook (this has been a personal 2-year project. It didn't help with my dates: "Sorry, honey. Appetizers only, no entrees. I'm saving up for a laptop.")

    Now I'm wondering whether or not I should wait until June 6 to buy a 17". Or even September (Paris Expo).

    Will the G5 vs. G4 difference make it THAT different? Or am I gambling with time?

    I want to hear your thoughts and comments, please...

    Thanks! :)
     
  2. zach macrumors 65816

    zach

    Joined:
    Feb 14, 2003
    Location:
    Medford
    #2
    Yes, the G4 versus G5 will make a huge difference.

    That being said, I don't think we'll see G5s in powerbooks for a longgg time, and based on that assumption, I just bought a 15" maxed out.

    I'd go for it now.
     
  3. wdlove macrumors P6

    wdlove

    Joined:
    Oct 20, 2002
    #3
    I also don't think that a PowerBook G5 will come out anytime soon. When it comes available, it would be smart to wait for the Rev. B.

    Whether to purchase now somewhat depends on how soon you need a new PowerBook. If you can it wouldn't hurt to wait till WWDC in June. The next revision isn't expected to be any more that a speed bump. You might as well buy soon and enjoy your purchase.
     
  4. iGary Guest

    iGary

    Joined:
    May 26, 2004
    Location:
    Randy's House
    #4
    If I was in the market, I would buy one today. There are no indications of anything significant on the horizon.

    Enjoy!
     
  5. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #5
    aren't there enough threads on this topic already?
     
  6. iGary Guest

    iGary

    Joined:
    May 26, 2004
    Location:
    Randy's House
    #6
    Take your pick:

    Dell and Linux
    RAM Choices
    iBook Updates
    Tiger Bitching

    :D
     
  7. NoCleverSNForMe thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2003
    #7
    Thanks

    Thank you, guys. You've definitely built my confidence in purchasing one today.

    Thanks for your time.
     
  8. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2004
    #8
    i like the contact survey myself ;)
     
  9. iGary Guest

    iGary

    Joined:
    May 26, 2004
    Location:
    Randy's House
    #9
    Go to Baja Fresh across the street to celebrate when you pick it up (if you're going to Clarendon).
     
  10. BKKloppenborg macrumors regular

    Joined:
    May 2, 2005
    Location:
    La Mesa, Ca
    #10
    and mine...

    ibook vs. Powerbook... :D
     
  11. NoCleverSNForMe thread starter macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 12, 2003
    #11

    As a matter in fact, I am going to Clarendon. :-D

    I'll have to drop by...
     
  12. iGary Guest

    iGary

    Joined:
    May 26, 2004
    Location:
    Randy's House
    #12
    :eek:
     
  13. joey4127 macrumors 6502

    joey4127

    Joined:
    Aug 29, 2004
    #13
    Even if it comes out June or September, you would/should wait, I have a feeling that the G5 will have heating problems. You should just get one now ;) I wish I could afford one. I`m hoping of getting an ibook or a 12`` PB by the end of this year :p
     
  14. Trout74 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Feb 3, 2005
    #14
    iGary,

    your funny ;)

    but your right, and you often are.

    trout
     
  15. efoto macrumors 68030

    Joined:
    Nov 16, 2004
    Location:
    Cloud 9 (-6)
    #15
    I did the same 'buy now or wait' game to myself prior to the Rev. D release. Honestly, I could care less about the changes made to the PB line and I would have appreciated it a lot more had I purchased earlier instead of waiting nearly 5 full months on a 'what if'.

    Don't get me wrong, I love having a 12" w/ a 1.5GHz, but I doubt it is THAT much better than a 1.33 would have been, and 5 months is a lot of pleasurable computing.

    I saw buy now, you won't regret it. They are stable, fast, and ripe for the picking. As stated above, G5 will be a beast to tame in heating, so Rev.B on that will probably be a smarter by anyhow.
     

Share This Page