Wait time for 12" G4 ibook

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by Stewdy, Nov 20, 2003.

1. Stewdy macrumors member

Hello (soon to be) fellow Mac users! Well, I finally pulled the string and ordered my first Mac. Now I can't go an hour without checking my order status on the Apple web site. Does anybody know how long it should take for it to get here (eastern US)? I specified 2-3 day shipping so that is pretty self explanatory, but I was wondering how long it takes to get the thing configured at the factory. It's a 12" G4 ibook with 640 RAM, bluetooth, airport extreme and 60GB HD as my options. I ordered it Wednesday at 2:30 AM EST and I think that they're made in Taiwan (is that right?) which means that it's been ordered for two working afternoons. My estimated ship date is on or before Nov 26. Please tell me that it won't take 8 days to build it! The wait is killing me! Anyone have recent experience purchasing a 12" ibook that can tell me how long before I get to watch mine traverse the globe on the fedex web site?

2. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

I ordered that exact same machine except without Airport Extreme (to be bought later)... ordered it.... Nov 3rd... received it Nov 14th. E-mail them a week after you placed your order... for some reason my orders tend to be shipped the day after I e-mail them enquiring about my order. Weird... but it works... for me...

In summary...

I ordered on Nov 3rd... original ship date of Nov 7th... on the 7th got an e-mail stating Nov 14th ship date... e-mailed them on the 10th about it... it shipped on the 11th with 2-3 day shipping from Taiwan. Went Taiwan to Alaska to Iowa and was out for delivery the morning of the 14th.

Good luck! You'll love it! Keep the little piece of wafer thin foam that sits between the keyboard and screen and always put it back in between (free way to keep finger oil off your screen... although it's not supposedly an iBook problem... why bother risking it?)

Also two of the little feet fell off my iBook taking it in and out of my backpack.. I found them easily but just be aware of that.

I'll try to keep tabs on this thread if you have any more questions.

3. Stewdy thread starter macrumors member

It shipped this AM!

It looks like it shipped this AM!!! It left the factory at about 3:00 PM Taiwan time. So I guess that total lead time from order to shipment is about 48 hours right now. Thanks for the earlier reply and the tip about the foam between the keyboard and screen! I'll let you know when it gets here...

4. Stewdy thread starter macrumors member

Still Waiting...

According to the FedEX website my ibook has been sitting in Taiwan for 5 days! What the heck? This is what I'm getting when I track it. Why would it be in Taiwan for 5 days?

Nov 25, 2003 11:30 am

Package status

C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW

Nov 24, 2003 8:06 pm

Left FedEx Ramp

C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW

Nov 23, 2003 2:21 pm

Package status

C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW

Nov 22, 2003 9:47 pm

Package status

C.K.S. INTL AIRPORT TW

Nov 21, 2003 5:21 pm

Arrived at FedEx Ramp

TA YUAN HSIANG TW

4:25 pm

Left FedEx Origin Location

TAOYUAN CITY TW

3:06 pm

Pickup status

TAOYUAN CITY TW

Future pickup/delivery requested

I'll keep you posted... The wait is killing me!

5. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

E-Mail apple. Otherwise you'll go insane waiting... :)

6. Prabz macrumors member

7. Prabz macrumors member

...my FedEx status:( :

Attached Files:

8. SilentPanda Moderator emeritus

SilentPanda

Maybe it's some weird Taiwan holiday or something... my favorite is the listing of Taiwan for a while and then it "looks" like it goes to Alaska and then *back* to Taiwan because of time zone differences... :)

9. kanker macrumors 6502

My 12" PB is sitting in Taiwan with your toys too. Paid the extra for two day shipping, and Fed Ex has had it since Yesterday morning- better be here by tomorrow, the tracking still shows an estimated delivery time of 10:30 tomorrow morning. Fortunately I live in a city with a MAJOR Fed Ex air hub- hopefully the thing will be landing here soon!!!!!!

10. Paenis macrumors newbie

I was under the impression they were constructed in Singapore.

11. Stewdy thread starter macrumors member

called FedEx and Apple today...

Well, I called both companies today... After investigating the Apple web site a little bit I found the following statement: "Some of our products are shipped from our overseas warehouse. All products shipped from overseas are shipped via three-business-day international service. Overnight shipping is not available on products shipped from overseas." So I guess that means that if you order one of the macs that is built in Taiwan (all of them or just the laptops and displays?) that it will be shipped using 3 business day int'l shipping regardless of what shipping method you choose. Possibly something to take into account with next mac purchase since I could have saved $15. Anyway, the Apple guy looked at what I assume was the same info I had available and said that it looked like it would be delivered by Friday AM. I asked him about the 3 day shipping and he said that it was usually 3 days but that it looked like it would be 4 business days b/c of Thanksgiving. I let him slide on the fact that its journey actually began last Friday which means that it's going to take 5 business days (if it makes it). Well, that still didn't satisfy me so I called FedEx. Their guy told me the same thing, but he then added that the computer had yet to leave Taiwan b/c they had "equipment problems" on Monday. Yeah, the plane broke down. He told me that if my ibook makes it through customs without incident that I'll have it by Friday AM. If it gets stuck in customs, it might be delayed by a day. If it gets stuck in another higher level of customs where they do a detailed check of every package in the entire shipment (463 or so packages in the shipment) it could take a bit longer. I took that to mean sometime next week. So that is where it stands now. If any of you are out there suffering with me it looks like we have a broken down airplane to thank for the delay and the fact that it looks like our babies sat in a FedEx shipping facility alone for days. Too bad they couldn't have fired up the Bluetooth so they could have at least talked to each other while they sat waiting to meet us. I'll keep you posted. PS- Sorry this was rather wordy but at least you all know what is going on now.

12. Stewdy thread starter macrumors member

Finally!

My ibook arrived on Friday!!! Unfortunately I had to leave town for the night as soon as I had unpacked her. I'm happy to report that all works well so far out of the box. I did spend about 6 hours trying to get Airport to work with my wireless router and AOL for Broadband. After one call to Apple we determined that Airport was working fine. The wireless router company went over things and they were fine. Finally on my second call to AOL they mentioned that AOL for Broadband doesn't work with macs so it looks like I'll only have dialup at home. Fortunately my cable modem at school will work with Airport. I hope others above have received their comps too!