Wait time on PB

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by TDT, Apr 6, 2004.

1. TDT macrumors member

Hey all,

Well...I bought the powerbook. Below are my stats:
    1.25 ghz 15 inch.
    Combo Drive
    512 megs of RAM
    60 gig HD
    airport extreme

The problem...as annoying as it is, says the estimated ship date is on or before the 20th of this month. That's 14 days for it to just SHIP. Count another week on top of that to actually get it here.

is this estimated ship date even remotely accurate to real life experience? I can't imagine it taking 2 weeks to put together a laptop that's probably on an assembly line and can be done in about 30-40 minutes, then a day for testing and stuff, then a day to box it up...I'm thinking extreme cases here.

Can anyone give me a more realistic date of shipping? The current one I just simply can't believe considering my ipod shipped like the next day and was sent via air mail and was to me within the week.

Thanks,

2. TDT thread starter macrumors member

Well....just called apple, and they said 7-10 business days for it to be made, or up to a full 2 weeks...pfft....dang that's too long :-/ Well, at least they may do some testsing and stuff and I'll get it working perfectly, that will be nice.

*sigh*

3. _pb_boi macrumors 6502

I can say that Apple, like many companies, tend to quote on the conservative side. Although not the same thing, I ordered a case off Apple - it arrived a good bit before its shipping date even came around.

It's just to give them a good margin for error, in case something does happen, or there is a delay - that way, the consumer is already expecting it to take a while. If it comes earlier - as it usually does - then it can only help Apple's image.

peace.

4. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

Everytime I've ordered something from Apple it's arrived earlier than promised... Even most recently an iPod mini, which I actually expected to take longer than the 10 days I was told... It was in my hand in 6 days...

I don't want to get your hopes up, because there could be a reason for the time they qouted you that I don't know of, but in general it appears Apple follows the philosophy of underpromising & over delivering when it comes to time of delivery quotes...

5. belf8st macrumors member

I recently purchased a 12" powerbook from apple. Just stock, not a BTO. They revised the ship date on 3 different occasions. After 14 days, I cancelled the order and placed the 12" order with Amazon. They shipped the item that day and it was in my hands the next.

6. Jeewhizz macrumors regular

It may take longer with the big easter wknd coming up :)

7. TDT thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, I'm not sure if workers in Taiwan get time off, though, hehe. I wouldn't expect many fed ex workers to either, since it's not an official state holiday. *shrug* we'll see though.

8. jemeinc macrumors 6502a

"I recently purchased a 12" powerbook from apple. Just stock, not a BTO. They revised the ship date on 3 different occasions. After 14 days, I cancelled the order and placed the 12" order with Amazon. They shipped the item that day and it was in my hands the next."

Stuff happens... I'm sure that that left a sour taste in your mouth, that's understandable...

Keep in mind my experiences are based on numerous purchases ranging from BTO hardware , to software, to simple accessories... I've never even had anything take as long as I was qouted... I'm sure it happens that they screw up an order, just never mine... I'd like to think that my numerous dealings are more the norm than the exception, but I could be wrong..

9. TDT thread starter macrumors member

Yeah, mine is custom....I really hope it doesn't take too long, lol. I check the site a lot to see when it's revised...hopefully It will be sent soon.

10. TDT thread starter macrumors member

*sigh*

After a few days it's still "open", and no change in the sending time...gah. Shopping via .edu discounts is kinda a pain, I call them and they send me to different depts until I make one huge loop...then I come back in the same section in the end.

pfft....too bad apple can't hurry on the laptop a little more

11. krisjon macrumors regular

Geezus, man...

You order a BTO machine 2 days ago and you're already complaining and making calls? No offense, but get some patience - and while you're at it, a little more of a life!

12. AMASOP macrumors newbie

Sound like the 15" is backordered. I ordered a 12" PB BTO just 24 hrs. ago and the estimated ship date is 1-3 days. Sorry.

13. TDT thread starter macrumors member

Well, actually the calls were done because I never received a confirmation e-mail that the order was even placed. To be honest, I'm glad I called because the college put in the order wrong and Apple didn't even get the notice. It pays to call and check up on stuff, people make mistakes.

As far as about 3 days wait time, most people here it seems said that their stuff shipped within 24 hours or so - so I expected the worst on my order...2 full weeks.

Another thing, that I should note, is that whenever I do something like this something happens fast. In this case, my apple shipped last night :) This happens to me a lot, so I'm glad I post something like this in a public forum.....hehe.

As far as getting a life, oh man I agree with you. I sit behind this box 24/7, doing nothing but playing pong...and nibbles (snake game where your snake gets bigger after 'eating' a number). I sleep...under my desk, on my sub woofer with my cat. um.....oh yes, and I got a microwave, fridge and everything within....2, no make that 1 foot away. I can make anything right at the comforts of my computer! :D

14. MictXP macrumors newbie

Hey, that's the way to live it! I'm right there with you. I order all my groceries online, and when they are delivered, they put it right in my fridge, which is in arms reach. My TV is probably a good 5 feet away, but I have a remote, so it's all right. All my operations actually take place in my bathroom, cause I figured a toilet was just as good as a chair. People always tell me this is strange, but I just tell them that "I haven't moved in 17 days!" That gets 'em!

Back to the original post, if you wanted your laptop sooner, you could get it at the Apple Store. I think you could only get a 40 GB drive, but the rest of it is no problem. That takes care of the 2 week delay. Of course, you'd have to actually leave your house. I don't know how you feel about that, but I know it's against my personal philosophy :cool: