Wait until MWNY to buy Powermac?

Discussion in 'General Mac Discussion' started by puffmarvin, May 18, 2002.

  1. puffmarvin macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2001
    Location:
    NY
    #1
    what does everyone think... should i buy the dual 1 ghz powermac now or wait until mwny to see what the new machines will bring? hmmmm
     
  2. King Cobra macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2002
    #2
    I would say it depends on if you are looking for a faster PowerMac than the dual GHz currently available. From analyzing all of the possible rumors, I would <assume> that:
    There will be no G5s this year.
    There will be updated Powermacs with dual processors.
    There will be 1200 or 1400MHz maximum models.
    There will be DDR-RAM.

    If you are looking for updated PowerMacs with the last three features, then wait. But, then again, these rumors could change at any moment. I would also assume that these faster PowerMacs will top off at maybe a little more than $3000. But you never know.
    __________________

    Any time is a great time for iPod.
     
  3. peterjhill macrumors 65816

    peterjhill

    Joined:
    Apr 25, 2002
    Location:
    Seattle, WA
    #3
    If you have more money than time, I would wait until July. It is so close to the expo, that waiting a couple of months won't be too painful. I doubt that G5's will be released, but there might be some other goodies released that would make the wait worth it. Bluetooth would be cool if it would mean a wireless mouse, or an easy way to sync a palm. DDR ram is always good. Faster procs. I wonder if the next release low end model will be one processor or two.
     
  4. King Cobra macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2002
    #4
    I think that all low end PowerMacs should have one processor, so that Apple can satisfy the extra features that would make the PowerMac faster (DDR-RAM) and upgradable, while maintaining a low cost and basic features (CD-RW). It just makes sense.

    It would not make sense for Apple to have all dual processor models. Otherwise, even the low end would be rather expensive, I'm guessing, $2400, to carry the extra processor. And Apple has recently been basing their PowerMacs with ~$1600, ~$2400, ~$3000-$3400.
    __________________

    Any time is a great time for iPod.
     
  5. 3rdpath macrumors 68000

    3rdpath

    Joined:
    Jan 7, 2002
    Location:
    2nd star on the right and straight till morning
    #5
    wait if you can

    its a win/win situation. it seems pretty certain they'll come out with something new in the powermac series so:

    if its great, fast and affordable-buy it.

    if its not what you want-the dual 1 ghz machines will still be discounted.

    i'm waiting..of course i've been waiting since december.....but i will buy something in july. i don't care if the mythical G5 will be released at mwsf.:)
     
  6. Macmaniac macrumors 68040

    Macmaniac

    #6
    Wait

    I would try and wait, It is only 60 days away, and what comes out is going to be much better then what is out now. DDRAM will be coming out and expect to see speeds of 1.4ghz, I would wait if u can. U won't be sorry.
     
  7. clubmedia macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Apr 12, 2002
    Location:
    delaware
    #7
    patience is a virtue... that i don't have...

    i would definately wait though!!!
     
  8. widget macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 19, 2002
    Location:
    United Kingdom
    #8
    Don't forget though, that there is never really a 'right' time to to buy a computer. If you buy a Power Mac now, it'll be surpassed by something at MWMY. If you buy a Mac after MWN, it'll be surpassed by something released six months later. And anyway, Macs released at MWNY will only a couple of hundred Mhz faster. If you're clever, you could buy a Power Mac from the current line after MWNY for a pretty cheap price, and have a power house with a few hundred bucks left over for software/accessories.

    Its up to you... but just my two ¢.

    Play it cool

    :cool:
     
  9. puffmarvin thread starter macrumors member

    Joined:
    Dec 29, 2001
    Location:
    NY
    #9
    AHHHHHH.....

    ALL THESE CHOICES!! I think my best bet right now is to just flip a coin.
     
  10. King Cobra macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2002
    #10
    Look, you are bound to see new PowerMacs at New York. Now, I am not completely sure what they will house, but they will be more improved. That means that Apple will have to have higher prices for these newer Macs than our current models. This means that these current models will have price drops once new PowerMacs are released. So your best bet is to wait. You can wait for an affordable price drop, or you can wait for a new Mac. If you buy a PowerMac now you will be spending more money than you would after the New York Expo, as previously explained. Once you wait to New York there will be both price drops on the old PowerMacs, and there will be new PowerMacs. What to expect in them is something NOBODY on these forums can officially confirm. Plain and simple.
    __________________

    Any time is a great time for iPod.
    Working on 500 post signature...
     

Share This Page