"Wait! What just happened?! I just plugged it in and...it WORKED!"

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by SRSound, Feb 21, 2007.

1. SRSound macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2005
    A word of encouragement to all you lurkers out there: I just loaned my Powerbook to my girlfriend whose Dell just called it quits. She was hesitant to ask for it because she didn’t feel like having to go through all the setup and configuration; but, as Mac owners are well aware - owning an Apple computer is pure joy. And I quote, "Wait! What just happened?! I just plugged it in and...it WORKED! How did it do that??"

That's a Mac for ya. So if you’re thinking about a purchase, go for it - You wont regret it!
  2. dllavaneras macrumors 68000

Feb 12, 2005
    Caracas, Venezuela
    I hear similar quotes anytime someone uses my mac :) Hopefully this will inspire switchers
  3. Osarkon macrumors 68020

Aug 30, 2006
    I experienced that when i had my external monitor for the first time. I expected it to recognise there was a monitor connected, install drivers, and then ask to be setup. But no, plugged it in, and immediately it was there as if it had been there all it's life. Very impressed.
  4. zephead macrumors 68000

Apr 27, 2006
    in your pants
    This is one of the BIG things that really sold me on a Mac. I went to an Apple Store one day and looked at the MacBooks to see if my flash drive would install on one of them. The thing is, it didn't install - it just right away appeared on the desktop as if it were already installed. Once I got my MacBook, I was plugging in all my stuff to see if it instantly worked. Most of it did (with the exceptions of a usb-serial phone cable and Dell printer) and I still think it's just so cool :D. I even plugged in my mom's Nikon D70, a cheap Argus digital camera that didn't even work with my PC, and a keyboard that was supposedly PC-only, and they all worked as if they were already installed!
  5. nospleen macrumors 68000

Dec 8, 2002
    It is funny you mention that. I have been using macs for 6 years now and I almost 'forget' how easy it is to use a mac. It has just become the norm to expect everything to work. It is nice to be reminded that I did not always have it so easy...
  6. SRSound thread starter macrumors 6502

Jun 7, 2005
    I think we need more threads like this in a place where people gather to discuss their machine's faults! I know there are tons of people lurking these boards trying to make a decision - i used to be one!
  7. 4JNA macrumors 68000

Feb 8, 2006
    looking for trash files
    live in the middle of nowhere, fix/sell computers, and most people out here have windows and dial-up. fun. :eek:

favorite response so far after installing a Mac is 'wow, the modem must work lots better, because the internet is so much faster'. fun to explain that, no, it's still only dial-up, but there is no anti-virus update running, and no anti-spyware update running, and no WGA and windows update running, and no spyware sending out emails or attacking SCO.... not much bandwidth left on a typical windows box!