waiting for g4 1.2 ...

Discussion in 'Hardware Rumors' started by silv, May 20, 2002.

  1. silv macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 20, 2002
    #1
    i want to buy myself a new power-mac... soon... or better: now.
    should i wait for 1.2 / 1.4 GHz processors? is it worth waiting?
    should i better wait? how long?
     
  2. Ensign Paris macrumors 68000

    Ensign Paris

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2001
    Location:
    Europe
    #2
    I would have thought 1.2ghz Macs will be released at MWNY or just after (like MWSF) I personally would not wait, because if you wait then when they come out you may decide to wait again, until G5s are released and its just an on going wait.

    I would buy now unless somebody has very strong evidence that 1.2s (I am pretty sure) will come out at MWNY.

    Ensign
     
  3. Beej macrumors 68020

    Beej

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2002
    Location:
    Buffy's bedroom
    #3
    IMHO, wait until MWNY. If nothing new comes out, which I believe is highly unlikely, buy an existing system. If something new comes out, buy it. I think it's worth the wait until MWNY because from the rumors around the place indicate that we will see big performance boosts, even if we don't see big MHz boosts.
     
  4. Falleron macrumors 68000

    Falleron

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2001
    Location:
    UK
    #4
    However, you should be able to get a good deal on a Dual 1Ghz now!
     
  5. thedude macrumors member

    Joined:
    Sep 22, 2001
    #5
    1.2-1.4

    Waiting is probably a good idea, just in case...

    There has been a lot of talk about either g4 1-1.4 or (wishfull thinking) g5. I was thinking, what if it's BOTH?

    I remember reading a thread a while ago that mentioned the posibility of having a g4 and g5 tower at the same time because of cost restrictions that the g5 poses. Well, what if the rumors of a 1 to 1.4 ghz g4 AND those of a 1.2-1.6ghz g5 are true.

    It would make some sense...Have a g4 based low end workstation...

    1ghz single proc - $1500
    1.2 ghz single proc - $2199
    1.4 dual proc - $2999

    and a couple of higher end O2 killers

    1.4ghz (dual?) g5 - $3999
    1.6ghz (dual?) g5 - $4999

    Oh, and while I'm at it, use the Xserve naming convention for the pro line...

    X-Box...:D

    maybe Xstation or something....

    Whaddaya think?
     
  6. mmmdreg macrumors 65816

    mmmdreg

    Joined:
    Apr 14, 2002
    Location:
    Sydney, Australia
    #6
    In general, unless there's going to be a definite update in the close future, it's better to buy straight away so you get more use out of the computer before you feel it needs upgrading again..
     
  7. spuncan macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 18, 2001
    Location:
    Detroit
    #7
    wait u will be much happier because the MWNY PowerMac will support DDR ram most likely and will have a much needed Mobo upgrade like the Xserve
    Myself I'm holding out w/ this G3233 until the 1st. or second rev. G5/Next Gen. chip because the mobo will be updated even more to allow for some really nice stuff.
    See this link http://e-www.motorola.com/webapp/sps/site/prod_summary.jsp?code=MPC8540&nodeId=03M943030450467M98655
    we may buy a 500mhz G3 powerbook thats used until then just so we can use newer apps.
     
  8. silv thread starter macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 20, 2002
    #8
    thanks!

    thanks!
    i think i wait for mwny and then i'll see...

    btw - g5: if it is a 64bit cpu - where is osX-64? and all the new 64bit programs?
    cause if there is a 64bit processor you also need a operating-system that supports the new chip... and of course also programs... like on pcs with windows XP 64...

    or am i completely wrong?
     
  9. Hemingray macrumors 68030

    Hemingray

    Joined:
    Jan 9, 2002
    Location:
    Ha ha haaa!
    #9
    Definitely wait. At the very least you'll see 1.2 GHz G4's with DDR RAM. That's worth waiting for!
     
  10. King Cobra macrumors 603

    Joined:
    Mar 2, 2002
    #10
    As I recommended to someone else, you are better off to wait. You know that there are going to be new PowerMacs at or around Expo time. Even if they are not what you are expecting, there will still be price drops on the 800, 933 and 1.0G models.

    I know my reply is a little late, but in the end, when it comes down towards a big expo: If you buy something now, and something incredible comes out in just a few month's time, you are going to be kicking yourself.

    Now, who is Murphy? :)
    __________________

    Any time is a great time for iPod.
    Working on avatar and new signature...
    Planning to retire current signature.
     
  11. Kid Red macrumors 65816

    Joined:
    Dec 14, 2001
    #11
    Normally, I'd say buy now, however, being a month and a half away from defeinate new hardware, I'd wait til then. But, you must abosolutely buy something at MWNY, if not, you never will. I waited a year (after deciding to upgrade) because I wanted a G5. I waitied thru last years MWNY and MWSF and then decided to get the daul gig because I couldn't wait till July.

    Get the fastest avaible machine now (or soon) and then it will be strong for a good year or so, then put it up on eBay and use that $ towards the next new fastest release:)
     
  12. arn macrumors god

    arn

    Staff Member

    Joined:
    Apr 9, 2001
    #12
    remember... the current G4's have up to $300 rebates associated with them...

    arn
     
  13. Beej macrumors 68020

    Beej

    Joined:
    Jan 6, 2002
    Location:
    Buffy's bedroom
    #13
    Yes, but the extra money is going to a very good cause!

    All my dollar are belong to Apple!
     
  14. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2001
    #14
    Not to mention that if you wait, your new system might just come with 10.2 installed. That'll save you $100 or so dollars there...
     
  15. britboy macrumors 68030

    britboy

    Joined:
    Nov 4, 2001
    Location:
    Kent, UK
    #15
    I can't see apple charging $100 for an upgrade from 10.1 to 10.2. They might (and probably will) charge up to about $50, but not the full price.
     
  16. blackpeter macrumors 6502a

    Joined:
    Aug 14, 2001
    #16
    True, true... But isn't it nice to have a 1 disc reinstall? That's worth a good $20 to me.
     
  17. tortus macrumors member

    Joined:
    Jan 29, 2002
    Location:
    Los Angeles
    #17
    Hold out for the DDR

    No point in buying a new Powermac with antiquated memory unless you have to or the deal is phenomenal.
     
  18. iGav macrumors G3

    Joined:
    Mar 9, 2002
    #18
    Definitely........ I bought the original OSX, then the Uprgrade to OSX.1, and have aload of upgrades from the net..... it'd be nice to have everything and the latest OSX version on the one CD.......... the time saving on installation would be huge!!
     
  19. Horne macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    May 16, 2002
    Location:
    Glasgow, Scotland
    #19
    64 bit.

    I want to see techies answer the following question asked by silv futher back up the thread please....

    -----------------

    btw - g5: if it is a 64bit cpu - where is osX-64? and all the new 64bit programs?
    cause if there is a 64bit processor you also need a operating-system that supports the new chip... and of course also programs... like on pcs with windows XP 64...

    or am i completely wrong?

    -----------------

    Cheers,

    Horne
     
  20. Falleron macrumors 68000

    Falleron

    Joined:
    Nov 22, 2001
    Location:
    UK
    #20
    Well, we will need a 64bit version of OSX. However, the G5 is supposed to be 32bit compatible as well + therefore would hapilly run on the current OSX version. However, they probably would provide a re-compiled version of OSX at some point.

    Windows XP 64 wont be released until next january will it? Thats what I heard anyway. The AMD 64bit chip is no out for some time! Intel is some way of with its consumer 64bit chip as well.
     

Share This Page