waiting for g5 imacs?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by air23mj, Apr 5, 2004.

1. air23mj macrumors newbie

Apr 5, 2004
    im in line to get an iMac before the fall semester of 2004, but i want a g5 imac, not a g4. will they be available by then, does anyone know?
  2. thehuncamunca macrumors 6502

Jul 9, 2003
    steve knows but with the exception of him, no one does
    personally i think there's a good chance they'll be announced in june with maybe 1.6Ghz or so G5's

3. cubist macrumors 68020

Jul 4, 2002
    Muncie, Indiana
    I gave up and got a refurb 1.6 for $1399. Sure it's huge, and half empty, but it's a good price and fer cryin' out loud, one can only wait so long!!!! :eek:
  4. realityisterror macrumors 65816

Aug 30, 2003
    Snellville, GA
    i don't think apple would/could do that until we get g5 powerbooks... and we know that's not as soon as we want. it wouldn't make sense for the consumer desktop to be better than the top of the line up to $3000 laptop. plus the imac doesn't have that much room in it's little shell. i think g5 imac's might come with a total case redesign.

5. dudeami macrumors regular

Feb 4, 2004
    I would wait as until there is an update to the iMac lineup or until Fall whichever comes first. If you don't need the new computer until this fall, then you might as well play the odds and wait (odds being that the iMac lineup should be updated within 40 days according to the buyers guide averages)
  6. Koodauw macrumors 68040

Nov 17, 2003
    I disagree. I think Apple can have both the pro and consumer desktops running G5's while, both portable models run G4's. Desktops are supposed to have the faster processors in them. When you go mobile, you are sacrificing some performance for portability. It is to be expected. Also its not like there will be any other major/ if any speed bumps the the G4. The iMac is aging as is, I don't think the G4 iMacs can hold out much longer. It should also be easier to get the G5 into an iMac than a PB. I doubt Apple would let the iMac sit and rot simply because the G5 has yet to find its way into the PB. Hopefully there will be many G5 products out soon.
  7. Whotheheck macrumors member

Mar 31, 2004
    My prediction is that the new redesigned G5 iMac will be announced in June. Will it come out in June? Probably not, but when they do come out I'll be first in line. :) I just hope they don't change to aluminum like the powermacs. It doesn't look as nice as the G4 in my opinion.
  8. rdowns macrumors Penryn

Jul 11, 2003
    What doesn't make sense is holding back a line due to another. Just another in a long line of reasons Apple is losing market share. Despite the apologists, market share is important if we are to have companies still develop products and software for the Mac.

Closing in on a year, Apple announced their future, a 64 bit G5 chip. Closing in on a year, Apple had done nothing with this chip aside of the original PMs and adding a dual 1.8. Why would a consumer want to buy a chip that is 3 years old, not 64 bit and will not be able to take advantage of all the great things that will come to the G5?

IMO, it makes no sense for Apple not to get these puppies in as many of their products as possible. I think we should all adopt a new mantra, Rememebr the (original)iMac! Apple sorely needs to be in that place again with their line.