Waiting for iPhone 6

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by Ping Guo, Sep 15, 2012.

1. macrumors 6502

Ping Guo

Is it me or does the hype for iPhone 5 seem muted compared to previous releases? While most would agree that this is an incremental upgrade, the new A6 processor is most welcome. Ives, on the other hand, really phoned it in this time. (Pun intended)

What we're waiting for is a fresh new design. Some have speculated Apple will be making use of their "liquid metal" technology to produce something curved like a 3G. Personally I find that model much more pleasant to hold.

I'm looking forward to being amazed all over again by the iPhone 6. :)

2. Moderator

maflynn

Staff Member

Consider how fast the iPhone sold out and shipping slipped to two weeks and now 2 to 3 weeks. I'd say the hype is in excess of the iPhone 4 and 4s

3. macrumors regular

just wow....you can wait for the 6 all you want...I'll be enjoying my iPhone 5 like i did with all the other iterations.

4. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Incremental upgrade... LOL

5. macrumors demi-god

ChristianJapan

iPhone 6 in 2014. (If the scheme remain). Happy waiting.

6. macrumors 6502a

Just what do you expect the 6 to do? We are reaching the point where getting to get our phone to do more is going to come very slowly.

I am waiting for the iPhone 6, too, but will be enjoying my iPhone 5 in the mean time.

7. macrumors 6502

Other than wishing the screen on the 5 was a 4.3", I'm extremely happy with what I'll have in my hand next Friday. I'm going from a 4 so this is much, much more than an incremental upgrade for me.

8. macrumors regular

You will probably say the same when the 6 comes out.

9. macrumors 601

Every single feature they announced is incremental/catching up. Would you not agree?

Everything about the new iPhone is improved but there's nothing really new there.

10. macrumors 65816

I'm amazed at the people who view this as a minor update. What do you expect? I think this is the biggest update since the original iPhone. Whats changed since then?

New form factor, much thinner, worlds thinnest seems to be true, LTE support is major, larger screen, new aspect ratio for 1st time ever, new small digital connector. Lots of "incremental" improvements in the software. Adding turn by turn navigation is big.

I tend to think you're reaching the limit of what can be done w a phone until some unforeseen new new thing.

The quality is clearly miles above the competition. I had a Galaxy S3 and it is a cheap plastic phone with lipstick. Lots of the software on the S3 is pointless random features thrown in that don't make any sense. Lots of gestures that are random, odd, almost laughable. Double tap down on the top of the phone does some special things in some apps, shake the phone does something totally non-sensical in some other app, list goes on and on. They don't get it.

The iPhone is still the highest quality, best usability phone. But they're all phones so there's not much more you can do with it.

11. macrumors 601

12. macrumors 6502

Apple is LONG overdue for a revolution in both software and hardware. And with such a competitive market then it seems like rehashing the same old design for the 4th year in a row would be unlikely so waiting another year for the iPhone 6 might not be a bad idea.

13. macrumors P6

MacDawg

We have very different definitions of "incremental upgrade"

14. macrumors regular

Gonna wait for all the UK early 4G users to report back on coverage before deciding to upgrade. Can't see 4G coverage being very good in most parts of the UK unless you live in a 4G hotspot.

I would rather wait with my 4S, which can do everything else the 5 can do (maybe not to the exact standard), and then see what the 5S, or whatever it will be called has to offer; when hopefully the 4G coverage in the UK will be as good as 3G coverage is.

15. macrumors 6502

My guess is that it will have fingerprint and NFC

16. macrumors 68030

bunnicula

If Apple stick to current naming conventions, the 6 won't be here for 2 more years.

----------

I agree. I'm amazed that people find the 5 to be such a minor upgrade. I expect many of them want useless gadgets and a flashy new look. :confused:

17. macrumors 6502

The next phone will not be the 5s and here is why.

the "s" in the iphone 4s stands for Speed.

And the next iphone will not get a speed upgrade because 4g is going to "LTE"

LTE stands for LONG TERM EVOLUTION.

Long Term...

That means they are going to be using 4g lte for awhile.

So we will NOT get a speed upgrade on the next Iphone.

Hence they will not call it the 5s

The 4s got a speed upgrade over the 4.

It got 4g over 3g

The Iphone 5 is getting a speed upgrade over the 4s

Its called 4g LTE

4g and 4g LTE are not the same, 4g LTE is Faster.

There wont be a 5s because there wont be a new upgrade to 4g LTE

Its LONG TERM EVOLUTION.

There wont be a 5s

18. macrumors 6502

You seem to be stuttering with your list of improvements so let me consolidate that for you.

Size: Form Factor. Thinner. Worlds Thinnest. Large Screen. Aspect Ratio.
    LTE: LTE support is major

So essentially its a new Size with LTE (I wont even count the digital connector since there are more drawbacks than benefits). While that may be huge for some people, claiming this is "the biggest update since the original" only shows how small their steps have been in a market that they pioneered. (Im not saying thats a bad thing. Im just saying that "incremental" is more accurate than "major update")

19. macrumors 601

It seems we do. I use this definition of incremental:

"increasing gradually by regular degrees or additions"

It seems to me that the iPhone 5 is the iPhone 4S, but it has these improvements: -

- Thinner, redesigned body.
    - Slightly (0.5") longer screen.
    - Improved camera.
    - Improved processor.
    - Improved audio.
    - LTE (improved network connection).
    - The saturation of the screen has been changed.
    - New cable connector (not sure if this is really an improvement, I suspect they only used it because it allows the iPhone to become thinner/smaller).

8 new features, which will certainly improve the existing iOS experience, but don't really bring anything new to the table. That is the very definition of incremental in my opinion.

20. macrumors newbie

Actually, the S in 4S stood for Siri.

21. macrumors regular

I'm honestly really happy with the new design. I loved the iPhone 4/4S which this is very reminiscent of, but the slight difference in the form such as unibody and the crisp lines make it look like an incredibly premium product. Ive and team seemed to take over with this release and I'm impressed by the at-a-glance similarity but in far-reaching detail changes that this phone brought to the market.

22. macrumors P6

MacDawg

Opinions are great aren't they?
    That is why some see the glass as half full and others half empty

23. macrumors 65816

I'm waiting for the iPhone 6 also, because my contract is over when the 6 comes out.

24. macrumors 68040

Isn't the speed referring to the spec upgrades? So the 5s could easily be given a faster processor (maybe finally quad core) and that alone would justify the 's' tag.

25. macrumors 68030

bunnicula

Explain the 3G/3GS. Speed isn't just about the network.