Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Just for the record:

Xeon E5 1620v4 - 294$ - Quad core, 3.5 GHz.
Xeon E5 1630v4 - 406$ - Quad core, 3.7 GHz.
Xeon E5 1650v4 - 617$ - 6 core, 3.6 GHz.
Xeon E5 1660v4 - 11173$ - 8 core(!), 3.2 GHz.
Xeon E5 1680v4 - 1723$ - 8 core, 3.4 GHz.

You see the pattern. Previously, 8 core CPU 3.0 GHz cost 1723$ 6 Core, 3.5 GHz - 583$, currently it is 617$.

I genuinely think, we can expect that Apple might bring down 8 core version price, from 2000$ much lower.

The difference between 6 core CPU and 8 core is 400$.

I know how it will sound, and it will really be based on wishful thinking, however... Offering 2999$ computer without 6 cores, even with two GPUs will be laughable.

6 cores, 16 GB of RAM, 512 GB SSD, Dual GPU setup based on something better than Tahiti, preferably Fiji Pro, for 2999$. That would be worth the money.

ManuelGomes

macrumors 68000
Dec 4, 2014
Aveiro, Portugal
Thing is, the current base model uses the 3.7GHz but at 294$.
Do you really think Apple will offer the same base model with a 6 core (or again a 4 core but at 3.7 instead of now 3.5 for that matter) at the same price point? think again :-(
The 8 core at 3.2 looks sweet, although the mistake in the price you referred :)
But again, the 8 core offered in the current nMP is not the one mentioned, as you know.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
If you put away $5 /£3.50 a day, every day since the the last Mac Pro launch, you'll be covered for the current minimum spec by the time the new one comes out.
Any word on AMD's coherent interconnect fabric - would Apple be willing to wait for something like that for dual GPU rig nMP

Last edited:

koyoot

macrumors 603
Jun 5, 2012
Today only RX 460 and 470 were announced and possibly released. Nothing like CF, unfortunately.

If it will be announced it will be target at server/HPC markets.

I am watching presentation from AMD from today. Pretty much confirmed what I have been telling you for months guys: Metal is derived from Mantle.
Starts at 28:25.

Last edited:

AidenShaw

macrumors P6
Feb 8, 2003
The Peninsula
If you put away $5 /£3.50 a day, very day since the the last Mac Pro launch, you'll be covered for the current minimum spec by the time the new one comes out.
And if you put that money into Apple stock - Dude, you're getting a Dell!

Any word on AMD's coherent interconnect fabric - would Apple be willing to wait for something like that for dual GPU rig nMP
Only on the Ipad Pro!

Patrickhaare

macrumors newbie
Jul 6, 2016
Hi,
Does anyone know when the new mac pro is coming out? My 2016 macbook just broke, had to throw it away lol. Do you also have any recommandations for a screen to go with it ?
Thanks !

kennyisalive

macrumors regular
Feb 29, 2016
Our new self proclaimed insider (Mr. Phil-doc), talks about:

nMP 2016:

• Xeon E5v4 from 6 cores UP (undefined Max Core Count, maybe upto 22).
  • Same Trash Can with TB3 + USB3 + HDMI,
  • DP1.4
  • DUAL SSD (I bet it likely to be PCIE2-NVMe's)
  • GPU Form Factor Unchanged.
  • 50W extra TDP.
  • Two Polaris Based GPU options and a "custom CHIP" Compute oriented GPU (in line with DNG) no cues if a custom Polaris or AMD Vega, but not a dual GPU card.
  • BTW new GPU Compute improved between 20-50% which is dismal IMHO, but maybe Just OK for Apple's Marketing.
  • New Compute-oriented GPU Offer to the nnMP to come in 12months.
This all sounds like garbage specs.
Very apt for the trash can design.

Reactions: ssgbryan

antonis

macrumors 68020
Jun 10, 2011
Yes - but it could be 45 when Phil and his ass retire and a new Mac Pro is announced.

Don't count your eggs when they're chickens.

Even if Phil is retired, I believe apple will keep his ass. You know, to keep the innovations going and all that.

Average Pro

macrumors 6502
Jul 16, 2013
Cali
About 75 in December 2013, 97 now. 8% interest every year ain't all bad.

Back in 2008 I hard the same negative comments.
$12 in December 2008
$97 on 12 July 2015
699% increase => 87% per year since 2008
At the high point, they exceeded a 1000% ROI

Can you search a person's profile comments based on dates? It would be interesting to see if the same nay-sayers have always been the same.
The only day I fretted was Steve's death. Since then, nothing but gains. I can now truly say, "there isn't a day I worry about Apple stock."
[doublepost=1468311917][/doublepost]Just answered my own question. Performed a cursory review of one of the top complainers here.
(1) Click on profile name (complainer)
(2) A new small window opens. Click on Find All Posts
(3) Go to the highest possible page and click on it
(4) At the very bottom of the new page you'll see "find older messages"
(5) Repeat steps 3-4 and you can see what they've posted since first signing on

The wonderful thing is that you don't have to read their diatribe as the subject and first few words can be read. Truly entertaining.

Last edited:

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
That's not how compound interest is calculated - 87% per year would put it at about $1800 today.
... and did you account for splits?
This is correct. The annual compound interest from 12$ to 97$ in 8 years would be 29%. It's still quite spectacular.

Apple is one of the examples I take whenever I'm teaching financial math. The students go crazy when they see the compound interest rates of Apple stock over the last 10-20 years.

Then again, most tech companies have been great investments over the last 10 years, so it's not just Apple.

t0mat0

macrumors 603
Aug 29, 2006
Home
If Project Titan - a vehicle came out in 2019-
What OS does it run and what's the computer behind it?

Do they make a computer and OS just for he car? Or do they merge/subvert/adapt a line already there?
Is this another thing to spread thin Mac design+other teams?

Will an apple vehicle in 3 years need a fair amount of compute power to add some level of automation.

Another few things to spread the Mac design team out... at this rate this could be the last Mac Pro update till post Titan launch.

tuxon86

macrumors 65816
May 22, 2012
It's still something quite recent, it will mature with time I guess. We're moving on too quick.

As much as I'm a fan of new technology, I don't see self driving or assisted driving a really viable solution unless it comes with the help of the local governments and tax payer. In northern climate, roads don't stay pristine very long and road markings even less which is the big problem with the Tesla auto-pilot, it gets confused when lane marking are less than ideal.

filmak

macrumors 65816
Jun 21, 2012
between earth and heaven
If Project Titan - a vehicle came out in 2019-
What OS does it run and what's the computer behind it?

Do they make a computer and OS just for he car? Or do they merge/subvert/adapt a line already there?
Is this another thing to spread thin Mac design+other teams?

Will an apple vehicle in 3 years need a fair amount of compute power to add some level of automation.

Another few things to spread the Mac design team out... at this rate this could be the last Mac Pro update till post Titan launch.
:)
A brand new Apple car...
With only one door to enter, and as an update, the second edition will have two.
Retina mirrors.
Batteries glued inside the chassis.
If the batteries fail, you 'll have to send the car to Apple to replace the whole chassis. (this may be good after all)
Quiet... capable of max. 40 km/h, less when overheat or summertime.
charging cable sold separately, and many adapters available...
Of course in rose gold too...

Just joking...:)

Hope it will be a nice car, not a luxurious crippled edition one.

Reactions: OS6-OSX
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.