Waiting for Mac Pro updates

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by smitha96, Oct 13, 2006.

  1. smitha96 macrumors regular

    Jan 11, 2005
    After much negotiating, my finacial officer (spouse) has approved a purchase of high end mac. We're looking at a MacPro, but I can't help but wonder if it'd be worth it to wait until after MacWorld in January. We aren't in a hurry, and it would be a good guess to assume that the MacPro line will be updated then, right? And perhaps with a lower-end model?

    And what's the controversy over the MacPro ram?

  2. Unorthodox macrumors 65816


    Mar 3, 2006
    Not at the beach...
  3. ricgnzlzcr macrumors 6502a


    Jun 7, 2005
    I would buy now because the product was just released and there is always something better on the horizon. The wait though would make it impossible since you're going a long time banking on a computer you don't know when is going to be released. It's just like those people waiting for merom macbooks. They expected them earlier and haven't gotten it yet. The wait would at least be killing me. If you're happy with your system though then I guess there is no hurt in waiting.
  4. suneohair macrumors 68020


    Aug 27, 2006
    Buy now.

    There is quad core intel chips on the Horizon, which may bring about a Octo-Core Mac Pro. However, I imagine the cost of this machine would be through the roof. I don't think we will see an octo-core MP at under $3500-4000 until the end of 2007.

    Plus, you can upgrade the Mac Pro yourself with quad cores later on. This is ideal because not many apps will take advantage of multi core systems.

    The multi core revolution is just picking up speed, even though they have been around for awhile now. So once apps actually catch up andcan utilize 8 cores effectively the cost will be much much lower.

    Buy now. :D
  5. bearbo macrumors 68000


    Jul 20, 2006
    it might not be a good guess to assume that mac pro line would be updated in jan. altho new chip might be out by then, but it's hard to say when apple will incorporate it... and even at that point, there will be another chip coming in few months, you'll have another decision to make..

    so depend on how bad you need this..

    if you are in absolutely no hurry, you probably don't need to buy one... maybe wait til you are absolutely in need of it (or absolutely running out of patient), then buy one, that will last you a long time
  6. ChickenSwartz macrumors 6502a

    Jul 27, 2006
    Buy now before your finacial officer changes his/her mind.
  7. daneoni macrumors G4


    Mar 24, 2006
    Buy now, only quad core processors and slgihtly better cards, i think, will be making it into the next gen towers as there doesnt seem to be large scale issuesassociated with them that need fixing.

    You can also upgrade to the Quad core processors should you decide to do so with a simple chip swap and maybe a bios update at most. So Buy NOW!
  8. jTreu macrumors 6502

    May 20, 2006
    nov. 12 is the quad cores, maybe you could wait till then, if the eight core is too expensive the quad will have dropped in price
  9. Clydefrog macrumors 6502a


    Feb 24, 2006
  10. tjcampbell macrumors 6502a


    Aug 14, 2006
    dude, join the team. i ordered my MacBook Pro today and I am so excited that this waiting BS is over! I just advise to order a refurb cus it's THE SAME THING for way less.
    Happy mac-ing.

Share This Page