Waiting for my Powerbook...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by veebs, Oct 11, 2004.

1. veebs macrumors newbie

I ordered my Powerbook 12" 1.33 80GB BTO 2 weeks ago (after convincing myself that dual core and G5 weren't likely in the next update, but rather a modest speed bump)

How long is normal for one of these suckers to arrive? I would hate to see Apple update before it gets here!! :)

2. russed macrumors 68000

russed

well when i got my 12" pb it took about 3 - 4 weeks i think. however it was a bto so i think that pushes some more on to the production time. have you tried looking on hte apple site to track the status of the order? (well that is if you ordred with apple!)

3. russed macrumors 68000

russed

oh also, i didnt see your comment about apple upgrading before you get it. if they upgrade the spec before you get it they will automatically update it. i also think if you get your pb and then within a few weeks the update it you are entitled to get it upgraded also.

4. acceber macrumors regular

My BTO iBook arrived 5 days after it was estimated to be shipped so mine took about 3-4 weeks as well. I live in Australia though so it could be a different story.

5. veebs thread starter macrumors newbie

I ordered through an apple centre here in Australia, i just flashed them my student ID and the order is on its way (at least, that was the plan!). Previous orders through the apple store (online) meant i had to scan my card and fax it to them. I didn't know about the auto-upgrade option you mentioned, has anyone out there had experience with that?

6. Natalia81 macrumors regular

Order my BTO PB on a Saturday night...it arrived that Thursday morning. From Taiwan to South Carolina...on the standard delivery

7. NCTRNL macrumors regular

I got mine about a week after I ordered it but I am in the U.S. too. I would have gone crazy waiting as long as you have.

8. veebs thread starter macrumors newbie

:D :D Not even 24hrs after posting here, it arrived. Of course, now the extra ram doesn't work, so i have to live in 256MB for a while :(

It's NEVER easy...

9. cb911 macrumors 601

cb911

you ordered BTO & the RAM was pre-installed, and didn't work? :confused:

make sure you get that fixed up soon...

at least it's ALOT easier than if you ordered a PC from somewhere... ;)

10. veebs thread starter macrumors newbie

I got it BTO so as to get the faster HD, but i ordered 3rd party ram. about half the price apple was going to charge :). If it was easy to upgrade HD's in laptops, i probably would have done that myself too. I pulled my old dual USB iBook apart to upgrade the HD, and vowed never to do it again!

11. crazy norwegian macrumors newbie

Mine is almost here

I just ordered a 17" PB, 128 video, 1 gig ram on the 8th of October from the on-line Apple Store.

It is in Portland OR right now, almost here!

Interesting the path it took: Shanghai, Subic Bay, Incheon, Anchorage, Indianapolis, Portland OR. It's been fun watching the progress, I might have it today, but tomorrow seems more likely - live on South Coast of Oregon.

Good luck with yours!

crazy n

12. vita_kk macrumors newbie

vita_kk

I had the same problem too. When I first try to installed third party RAM to my PB, it doesn't work. What I did as a workaround is to swap the RAM slot, such that the 3rd party goes to the slot at the bottom, whereas the original RAM goes to the slot on the top. Believe it or not, in this way it works!

13. veebs thread starter macrumors newbie

I'd love to try that, but with only one slot, my options are somewhat limited :) Thanks anyway!

14. crazy norwegian macrumors newbie

baby has arrived

Veebs, wanted to let you know, my 17" pb showed up today, I didn't want to even touch it - it's just so pretty - ultra thin, screen is like a theater. Hooked up the power, then the enet cable (satellite connection here), and it proceeded to see it all, and began to download a page full of updates (it had 10.3.4 on it).

One of the things I really like about OSX is it's ability to see everything and see it correctly - I mean it just works, and does the things it needs to - to get on the net, etc. I didn't tell it a thing about my network (it told me it had an IP from DHCP), it just connected and registered itself right off the bat. Too cool. Almost as good as that, it DIDN'T do anything it didn't need to. I have set up networking on 100's of PC's and it is never like this. It is always somewhat of a struggle, even if you know what you are doing.

Hope yours comes soon.

crazy n

15. lynnpye macrumors member

Shipping from China

Hey all,

I just ordered a CTO PB 15", 1 GB RAM, 5400 HDD and 128 MB VRAM. I opted for the expedited shipping (2-3 days). I saw that as of this morning, my PB has been picked up for delivery from... Shanghai, China.

Though it's 14-Oct, the estimated delivery date to the US is 20-Oct. I called Apple support and they said just give it the 2-3 days and if it hasn't come in by then, to call them for a refund of the funds I paid for the expedited shipping.

Has anyone else seen something like this? Are the estimates usually that grossly out of whack? Shipping via FedEx.

16. NCTRNL macrumors regular

Mine did the same thing about a month ago. It got there much faster than it was showing on their site. Believe me...they really do expedite the shipping...

17. lynnpye macrumors member

Some relief...

Well, NCNTRL was right. My PB is now on the right continent anyway. Welcome to Anchorage, Alaska. FedEx shows it "in transit", which I'm hoping means they didn't stop in Anchorage but were instead just as anxious as I am to get my PB into my hot little hands.

Realistically I figure one more hop to get to Houston, TX tomorrow with delivery to take place on Saturday. I suppose I'd be happy with a Saturday delivery. Preferably in the morning. :)

18. lynnpye macrumors member

Arrived

Just to let folks know... I tracked the FedEx package to Houston and went to pick it up physically on Saturday, 16-Oct. If I had not done so, it would have been delivered on Monday, 18-Oct. Since I needed the weekend to do prep and setup (I was transferring ownership of my old laptop to my parents, who are switching from Windows :D), it made sense not to wait.