Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dombera

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2013
Ok guys, everyone seems to be only talking about Skylake and wheather it will be released late this year or Q! 2016.

But what do yuo think of the below:
1. Apple does silent upgrade for 15" this year to broadwell (keeping it in tact with 13")
2. Redesigned 15" release with Skylake sometime in Q1 2016

I do not see any reason for Apple not to do silent upgrade to Broadwell for 15" since they could still make some money with pre Xmas season coming. This would brough 13" and 15" to the same specs. Logic board upgrade for Broadwell would not be a big dseal since they've already done it for 13".

I will need a mahcine failry soon so if Apple does update 15" to Broadwell than I would buy it.

What do you think?

n7g

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Ok guys, everyone seems to be only talking about Skylake and wheather it will be released late this year or Q! 2016.

1. Apple does silent upgrade for 15" this year to broadwell (keeping it in tact with 13")

I do not see any reason for Apple not to do silent upgrade to Broadwell for 15" since they could still make some money with pre Xmas season coming. This would brough 13" and 15" to the same specs. Logic board upgrade for Broadwell would not be a big dseal since they've already done it for 13".

I will need a mahcine failry soon so if Apple does update 15" to Broadwell than I would buy it.

What do you think?
Technically I guess there is no reason BUT it would piss a lot off people off. I doubt many loyal Apple customers would be happy that the 15" rMBP that they bought in mid 2015 would be two generations behind by early 2016.

dombera

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2013
Technically I guess there is no reason BUT it would piss a lot off people off. I doubt many loyal Apple customers would be happy that the 15" rMBP that they bought in mid 2015 would be two generations behind by early 2016.

Hmm.. Interesitng. I do not think that's how Apple would feel about it, they would be keen for higher sales and profits.

dombera

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2013
Apple would not sacrifice long term sales for a short term gain.

Well, I dont really think that's the case but we may as well stop this concersation now I guess.

I am certianly not keen paying well over £2k for two years old CPU so I would be keen at least for Broadwell this year, Im sure many others would too. But thanks for weighing in.

n7g

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
Well, I dont really think that's the case but we may as well stop this concersation now I guess.

I am certianly not keen paying well over £2k for two years old CPU so I would be keen at least for Broadwell this year, Im sure many others would too. But thanks for weighing in.
No problem.

Thanks for your opinion too.

I am equally sure that the large number of rMBP owners who rely on their kit holding it's value would not appreciate three models being launched in less than a year. It would badly damage the second hand value of their kit. Many people continually trade up their kit and rely on strong resale values to do so.

frosse

macrumors 6502a
Sep 23, 2007
Sweden

What do you think?
Why only 15" redesign? Doesn't make sense for a new generation MBPs...

dombera

macrumors member
Dec 15, 2013
Why only 15" redesign? Doesn't make sense for a new generation MBPs...

Not only 15" ;) I've only mentioned 15" as 13" is already running broadwell.

When refresh happens (and if) it will be for both 13" and 15" for sure. Regards,

Luz Rodríguez

macrumors newbie
Jun 4, 2015
Should I wait two more weeks for the very slim chance that they update them? I really need a new one and I have the opportunity to buy one now, so 2016 is not an option. Do you think there's still a chance for a new 13" on October or should I just go ahead and buy one now?

maclaw21

macrumors 6502
Aug 26, 2009
Should I wait two more weeks for the very slim chance that they update them? I really need a new one and I have the opportunity to buy one now, so 2016 is not an option. Do you think there's still a chance for a new 13" on October or should I just go ahead and buy one now?

If you can't wait two weeks, buy. If Apple releases a new MBP, you can exchange the machine you bought--at least that's what I understand Apple's policy to be. You may want to verify Apple's policy by speaking/chatting with an Apple store representative.

OSX7

Suspended
Jul 26, 2015
Microsoft just bi**ch slapped me. They are really going at it. Im...speechless. Now I'm even more excited about how Apple is going to retaliate.

As much as I despise them, after this I'm not going to underestimate MSFT again.

Go :apple:!!!

Rigby

macrumors 603
Aug 5, 2008
San Jose, CA
The Surface Pro 4 sounds pretty amazing hardware-wise. Performance, display, pressure-sensitive stylus, even a fingerprint sensor on the keyboard cover. I think they just annihilated the iPad Pro.

Anyway, it's shipping October 26, so it seems to prove that Skylake CPUs suitable for the MBP are in fact available to big vendors.

OneZweiThree

macrumors regular
Feb 17, 2013
Bavaria
The Surface Pro 4 sounds pretty amazing hardware-wise. Performance, display, pressure-sensitive stylus, even a fingerprint sensor on the keyboard cover. I think they just annihilated the iPad Pro.

Anyway, it's shipping October 26, so it seems to prove that Skylake CPUs suitable for the MBP are in fact available to big vendors.

But I guess, they use a Skylake CPU with worse iGPU, so not suitable for the rMBP (if apple stays with iGPU).

OSX7

Suspended
Jul 26, 2015
Do you think, apple might go back to using a dedicated GPU in the 13"?
I mean, if microsoft can fit it...
There is a difference between approaches. Saying that MSFT could bundle a GPU in a slim 13 " doesn't make it possible for Apple to squeeze one in there. In MSFT's Surface Book the GPU resides on the bottom casing casing and the CPU is on the screen side. This is essentially a removable GPU. This approach benefits significantly from the distributed thermal workload. The GPU has it's own fan and it's the only significant heat generating part in bottom casing. Apple, as we all know doesn't plan to make a detachable hybrid OS X notebook. Fitting a GPU and CPU on the bottom case like Apple does is proving to be hard. Just look at all of the throttling issues the 15" rMBP has.

Last edited:
Reactions: GubbyMan

n7g

macrumors regular
Jul 24, 2014
According to Cnet it's a M-Serie.
As for apple's Macbook.
So is Microsoft's claim that Surface Book is twice as powerful as the current 13" rMBP based on graphics performance (only)? The discrete GPU in the base will no doubt dump all over the iGPU in the rMBP. But will the main processor?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.