Waiting for the Mac Pro...

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by briantology, Jun 5, 2006.

1. briantology macrumors 6502

Alright, college is coming up for me at the end of August. And see, I was going to get a G5 by the end of June (mainly for the FCP deal, saving me $300). I think I already know the answer to this, but should I wait for Apple to come out with the power macs with the intel chip? I really would prefer to have my comp. before school starts, but I think I can wait a couple weeks for something way better. It's something I love about Apple, but don't. They just randomly come out with their new stuff without release dates, just rumors.

2. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

If you're wanting it for video, I'd wait. It would be a different story if you were wanting it for Photoshop, which isn't a universal app yet, but since the apps you'll be using already run natively on intel, I'd wait a couple months and get one of the new machines. They'll have more hard drive space and probably some other features that you'll miss if you go the for G5 now.

3. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

If you're planning on using the PowerMac/Mac Pro throughout college, I think it's better to invest in the one with an Intel chip. I suggest you wait (a few months, hopefully) until they come out. Also remember that as a student, you can get FCP at the academic price of $600-700, which is a lot better than the deal you're referring to. :)

4. SheriffParker macrumors 6502a

SheriffParker

Conroe, (The core duo built for desktops) is coming out this summer. Julyish. So I would bet you'd see them rear their heads around then.

5. briantology thread starter macrumors 6502

yea, I know about the student discount. There is the deal where if you buy a new mac and get FCP, you can save $300, but i guess if youre a student, you can just get it for $700, which is nice. Oh, on another note, would anyone recommend waiting for Final Cut Pro 6 as well (opposed to FCS that includes FCP 5. Please don't mention $$$Extreme$$$)? I also might get photoshop at a later date, a much later date.

6. interlaced macrumors 6502a

interlaced

I don't think they'll be selling FCP by itself anymore (?).

7. briantology thread starter macrumors 6502

What I'm saying is, will FCP 6 be better / offer more / worth the wait , rather than getting FCP 5 (excluding the fact that FCP now comes in the Studio pack with Soundtrack, DVD studio, etc.)

8. Heb1228 macrumors 68020

Heb1228

Final Cut Pro 6 will likely only come as a suite of apps as well. If you're gonna wait for the Intel desktops to come out, you don't really need to worry about this question now. Version 6 may be out by that time.

9. briantology thread starter macrumors 6502

alright, I suppose I shall attempt to wait. Thanks all.

sorry, one last question, not about macs though. Anyone know if Canon printers are good to get? I was thinking about getting the PIXMA 170 or 500...

oooohhhh, upon further notice, looks like ill get a free nano as well. even though i already have a 4th gen.