Waiting is getting eaiser... (some musings)

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by rschapel, Mar 16, 2004.

1. rschapel macrumors member

Well for the past month I have been checking this site everyday, waiting to here about the new powerbook revisions. I am ready to by the 15 inch powerbook, and know I don't want to buy 6 month old machine. Since I have a computer I can afford to wait till the new revisions come out, but even so its sad to think the number of times I have checked this site for updates!(even defending Macs to PC loving friends) I was thinking though, its hard to think they would wait till a big event in june to say "we are going to upgrade the PB G4 to 1.5 Ghz" , "This is going to be a huge %12 increase in processor speed" If they are going to let us down like this this, its going to be on some random Tuesday, I would imagine anouncing something like that at a big show would give them a considerable amount of flak (personaly for %12 over 8-9 months should get "boo's"). While I do realize there could be some other things they could do to increase the PB G4's over all speed, I think I would need to see at least a 20%-%25 increase in overall speed before I would consider buying the current G4 line up. If it was a G5 I would be ok if it was just a 10-15% increase in overall speed as I personally think the chip change would give my new laptop a longer life. Even with that G5 quip being said I would still go for a 20-25% faster G4 laptop, with a faster video card and maybe a pumped up harddrive, as a G5 would be nice but this isn't going to be my last laptop. COME ON APPLE THROUGH ME A BONE!

My nightmare is in 6 months from now, Apple starts touting G5 only enhancements to iLife, os enhancements and I have a G4 laptop.

--Randy

2. rinseout macrumors regular

It'll never happen like this. For this to happen, the entire line would have to go G5 and Apple would have to take a decision to anger the lion's share of its customers. I think it will eventually come to this, but maybe 2-3 years from now. Consider the fraction of software that still runs on the G3, for example...

3. invaLPsion macrumors 65816

invaLPsion

I cannot remember a time in Apple's history where so many are waiting for new products. I have seen people waiting for new iBooks, Powerbooks, eMacs, iMacs, and, like myself, Powermacs. Why are so many waiting?

The fact is this: All of Apple's consumer line is currently getting whipped by PCs in every way. (except for software) In addition, all of Apple's consumer line has not seen an update in processor speed for over 140 days! In an speed driven computer market, this means money, and this means customers. Logi dictates that Apple MUST release updates to ALL of their products soon, and they better. (Starting with powermacs :D )

Here's to updates on the 23rd.

4. rschapel thread starter macrumors member

I have to disagree, I think it will, but it wont be like "you can not do this on a G4" it will be more like it will run 23x faster on a G5!!! They will spend oodles of time getting the G5 faster, and will spend 1/8 of the time getting the G4 to work the best it can. It just makes more buisness sense, get your flagship going as fast as possible, and just make sure it works on a G4. I would be surprised if apple spends just as much on getting the G4 to work the best it can after the "power" line has moved onto the G5. Maybe this is off set by the "experience" programmers have working with the G4.

--Randy