Waiting is the hardest part Macbook Pro?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by gadgetgirl85, Aug 13, 2006.

  1. gadgetgirl85 macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #1
    Ok I'm in a big dilemma (I know I know another merom dilemma)

    I've decided I'm definitely waiting for the merom update. However, I'm contemplating whether to wait until Leopard is released. The decision is up to me. Is it likely that the MBP will increase speed from 1.83? Is it difficult to upgrade the operating system? Should I wait just until after the Merom upgrade or wait until Leopard is released?
     
  2. bep207 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
    #2
    you must be up too late.
    the macbook pro is already upgraded from 1.83

    edit- i suppose it isnt that late in australia
     
  3. bep207 macrumors 6502

    Joined:
    Jul 20, 2006
    #3
    but to answer your question.
    if you dont need a laptop, then wait.
    if you want a laptop, then get one after merom is released

    if you wait until leopard is included you might as well wait for the santa rosa design on the chips too

    while you are at it, go ahead and wait for 32 core chips and 68gb of RAM with 1TB flash hard drives


    you cant wait forever
     
  4. Flowbee macrumors 68030

    Flowbee

    Joined:
    Dec 27, 2002
    Location:
    Alameda, CA
    #4
    Personally, if I need a new machine, I try to always buy it right after a new OS is released. Apple usually just tosses the full install disk into the box until the machines start arriving pre-loaded. Makes me feel like I'm getting a $129 discount. ;)
     
  5. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #5
    I want to use it as a "main" computer. Would this be a huge drain on the battery? I know I tried it with my Toshiba laptop. 8 months later and the battery is shot. I am definitely waiting for merom...would the santa rosa be such a big upgrade? I'm not that knowledgable on chips
     
  6. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #6
    Maybe I should also mention that basically what I want to do on it is play some flash games...surf the net...take it to uni to do assignments and chat and play MP3s. What do you think I should do?
     
  7. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

    gauchogolfer

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2005
    Location:
    American Riviera
    #7
    If that's all you want it for, I'd say buy a MB + external display. You have no need for the extra power a MBP gives you to only do your stated activities. I'd say save the money, use it to upgrade RAM, buy an external drive, and a display for when you're at home. Also, no point in waiting for an entire new chipset and processor for your needs. Go ahead and get it now. Installing a new OS is pretty easy, btw, so no worries.
     
  8. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #8
    Yep I have an external display...keyboard all that stuff. I was thinking of going the Macbook but I just love the look of the MBP. What I want to do is buy the standard model and upgrade to 1gb memory. I know I should do some research but what exactly is the merom chip and what will it do?
     
  9. gekko513 macrumors 603

    gekko513

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2003
    #9
    The merom chip is expected to make the MacBook Pro run a little bit faster, I guess around 20%, a little bit cooler and have a slightly longer battery life.
     
  10. beanybean macrumors newbie

    Joined:
    Jun 16, 2005
    #10
    dude seroiusly viccles, if thats all you will be doing with a computer, dont waste money on a macbook pro... you dont even need a brand spanking new laptop for that stuff. check the refurbisheds (which just got updated - you'll save hundreds of dollars) or even ebay. why spend a ton of money if you dont need the power?
     
  11. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #11
    I know I know. I might do some adobe photoshop work as well would that make a difference?
     
  12. gekko513 macrumors 603

    gekko513

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2003
    #12
    Well, I'd say the larger screen is the biggest advantage of the MacBook Pro over the MacBook for your use, because you don't really need the better graphics card. Of course the size is also a disadvantage when it comes to portability.

    I chose the MacBook Pro mainly because I intend to use it as my main computer for the next two years and I knew I'd become frustrated working on a smaller screen, but then again I do play 3D games from time to time, so I also get a benefit from the better graphics card in the MacBook Pro.

    Beanybean has a point, though. The MacBook Pro has more power than you need, so if money is an issue, a used PowerBook G4 15" could be a good option. The prices on them seem to have fallen a lot lately, and they'd be better for Photoshop work until Adobe releases the next version some time next year.
     
  13. Shotgun Pete macrumors regular

    Joined:
    Jul 11, 2006
    Location:
    Saskatchewan, Canada
    #13
    Well I dont know about a refurb or a used, but maybe thats just because I have had bad experiences with them.
     
  14. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #14
    I just want a computer that I will be able to use for the next 2-3 years that won't be obsolete. I want to use it as my main computer I'm not much of a gamer but mostly a chatter etc but I love the graphics on the MBP. My decision is whether to wait for the Merom chip and in the future I want to upgrade to Leopard. Would it be a big drain on the battery to use it as a main computer?

     
  15. gekko513 macrumors 603

    gekko513

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2003
    #15
    It won't be a drain on the battery as long as you keep it plugged in. If you use it as your main computer, but not plugged in, I suspect it could take its toll on the battery after a while. I think the battery should be OK for over a year even if you use it unplugged. Just don't plug it in and out constantly, because I think the life of the battery is affected by the number of charge cycles it's gone through.

    If the battery goes bad, but not so bad that AppleCare will replace it for you, an extra battery for the MacBook Pro is AU$199 on the online Australian Apple store.
     
  16. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #16
    Ok I guess my biggest question is if I don't wait for the merom chip is will I be able to upgrade to Leopard in the future? I dont mind waiting for the merom chip upgrade just whether it will make a difference to me or not. (Sorry this might be a noobie sounding question)
     
  17. gekko513 macrumors 603

    gekko513

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2003
    #17
    Yes, you will be able to upgrade to Leopard with the current MacBook Pro. The only people who need to worry about not being able to upgrade to Leopard are people with G3 Macs (from before 2004), I'd say.
     
  18. gauchogolfer macrumors 603

    gauchogolfer

    Joined:
    Jan 28, 2005
    Location:
    American Riviera
    #18
    I use my PB as my main computer, and it's fine. Just to clarify the point above, plugging and unplugging often has no consequences, because it's only total charge cycles that is important. If you run the battery down 10% and then charge again, then another 10%, etc. After 10 of these times you'll have used 1 charge cycle, not 10. So it really doesn't matter.
     
  19. gekko513 macrumors 603

    gekko513

    Joined:
    Oct 16, 2003
    #19
    Thanks for clarifying. I had misunderstood the use of charge cycle, then, I thought it did matter if you did short cycles or long cycles. I'm glad it doesn't matter.
     
  20. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #20
    Now the tossup is whether to wait until September 12. Do you think I should?
     
  21. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #21
    Decided to wait until then hopefully before that the merom will be released. Only a few weeks away to wait
     
  22. eenu macrumors 65816

    eenu

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    #22
    I don't see why your waiting given what you want the machine to do. The speed increase with merom before santa rosa next year is negligable.

    In fact you personally maybe better getting a MBP or MB now before any upgrades to avoid the early adopter issues
     
  23. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #23
    I heard that merom will be faster and more stable? What early adapter issues
     
  24. eenu macrumors 65816

    eenu

    Joined:
    Aug 11, 2006
    Location:
    Manchester, UK
    #24
    you change anything on a machine then its a different machine and as such you run the risk of new issues being introduced. Apple are famous for early adopter issues. You may have none.....many people do but given what you want the machine for the MBP is already over spec'd for you.

    Its negligable in speed increase and i don't see how it can be more stable!?
     
  25. gadgetgirl85 thread starter macrumors 68040

    gadgetgirl85

    Joined:
    Mar 24, 2006
    #25
    Its really hard to make up your mind when your being told a million different things by a million different people :( I just want to make the right choice.
     

Share This Page