Waiting - Which is the lesser of two evils?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by FatSweatyChimp, Feb 19, 2004.

  1. FatSweatyChimp macrumors member

    Feb 12, 2004
    When you're waiting for new hardware which do you find to be the least painful?

    Stuff getting announced but not shipping for weeks/months? (like the G5)

    Or - not knowing anything and building your hopes up each Tuesday? (But when stuff IS released it's available fairly quickly)

    I think I'd prefer a definite date to be given. You'd know one way or the other then.
  2. flyfish29 macrumors 68020


    Feb 4, 2003
    New HAMpshire
    Yeah, but the problem with knowing is knowing how disappointed one can be with the update:D

    At least with the Tuesday release expectations you can still dream for that "perfect mac"
  3. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040


    Apr 21, 2003
    washington dc
    i agree... surprises are FUN!
  4. rschapel macrumors member

    Feb 5, 2004
    Also remember that each day that passes makes the current model that much OLDER, I mean why pay First day prices for equitment thats been out for over 5 months with out an update? It would be REALLY sad if apple decides to wait a YEAR with out updating the powerbook line.

    I will not pay their premium prices for equitment that is over 5 months old. If I am going to pay good $$ for a powerbook its going to be for a unit thats just been released, even if its just a speed bump.

  5. virividox macrumors 601


    Aug 19, 2003
    Manila - Nottingham - Philadelphia - Santa Barbar
    id rather be surprised than know something has been anounced but delayed in its release you know its there but you just cant touch it
  6. x86isslow macrumors 6502a

    Aug 10, 2003
    i'm annoyed that apple has slashed prices even a little. the current models are old (consumer) the eMac should start at 600, and the imac at a 1000.
  7. Capt Underpants macrumors 68030

    Capt Underpants

    Jul 23, 2003
    Austin, Texas
    It is me, or have I seen this post before??? Did u just copy and paste one of your older posts to this new thread? lol
  8. aswitcher macrumors 603


    Oct 8, 2003
    Canberra OZ
    Re: Waiting - Which is the lesser of two evils?

    I would want them to announce as soon as they have an approximate month of release, so I can make an informed decision about waiting or not. If PBG5s aren't out for 6+ more months then I would at leats be able to know it would be worth upgrading some hardware and software to tide me through until then...at present I suffer half expecting an update anytime as I don't want to spend more money on an outdated PC I want to toss.
  9. FatSweatyChimp thread starter macrumors member

    Feb 12, 2004
    I'm weakening badly.

    I could get a 1.6 G5 for £1227 by ditching the superdrive and modem and use 1 Gb of pc2700 ram from my pc and not have to spend any more on new memory.

    Tempting, but I don't know what to do.

    If new PMs come soon I presume the lowest of the new range would take pc3200 ram so I'd need to shell out more cash if I wanted more memory.

    *goes for a lie down* :confused:
  10. invaLPsion macrumors 65816


    Jan 2, 2004
    The Northlands
    I, too am weakening. I have been waiting for two months with nothing showing up. My mouse finger is poised to buy a dual 1.8 but I can't do it. I have to wait! Or do I? BLAH!:confused:
  11. gopher macrumors 65816

    Mar 31, 2002
    Maryland, USA
    The bright side about not waiting:

    1. If the model is several months old, most of the bugs have been worked out.

    2. If Apple releases something new in the next 10 days and you purchase from one of their stores, they will replace what you bought frequently at no extra charge with the equivalent priced model. Read their pricing policy here:

    http://store.apple.com/Catalog/US/Images/salespolicies.html#Apple Prices

    Frequently they will even delay shipment of your product until the new model is released if it is close enough to that release date.

    3. New models probably will have eccentricities which have not been debugged by others leaving you as a beta tester, though AppleCare does cover you for both hardware and software free of charge for the first 90 days, and hardware for the first year. If you decide to purchase AppleCare, it extends both to 3 years.

    4. Buying now means that you will get the use of the product that you wouldn't have gotten if you waited. Every day you get to use the product is another day that the total cost of ownership goes down.

    5. Shopping around you can frequently find better prices:


    and if you are really adventurous check these used and refurbished Mac shops:


    Oh and never buy the free extra RAM from vendors. Only buy RAM from vendors who back their RAM 100%:


    Otherwise you may find yourself with kernel panics which are a pain to diagnose:


    6. The only reason to wait is that if you have already tried the current model and nothing you do can make it meet your needs. Ask around though to find out if you may have missed something that could have helped you. I have posted this page so you can find compatible hardware and software:

  12. rschapel macrumors member

    Feb 5, 2004
    Yea, I did re write it, but is very close to tsomething I wrote before. didn't mean for the repost :) Though I still stand by it!!!

    I'll try to spice it up a little next time, maybe apple will give me something to work with. Come on Updates... I just can't wait!

  13. takao macrumors 68040


    Dec 25, 2003
    Dornbirn (Austria)
    coming from the x86 side as a future/planned switcher i'm not used to the whole 'waiting for updates' thing

    personally i would prefer the 'annoucing' before shipping because of that it's easier to plan a purchase: i'm planning a mac purchase for 2005 and i found it very difficult to find a model which suits my needs exactly: will there be a headless model in the <1500 price range ?nobody knows... so i am looking at ibooks at the moment because they are the best deal

Share This Page