Wakeboarding!!!

Discussion in 'Community' started by agreenster, Sep 20, 2004.

1. agreenster macrumors 68000

agreenster

Hey everyone!

Does anyone else here do any wakeboarding? I just learnt this summer and I have some video of my second time out EVER. I skied for my first time last summer, and skied quite a bit this summer, and tried to wakeboard with NO success for most of the year. Finally last week I could STAND on one in the water, just before immediately falling. Well something finally clicked this weekend and I can wake a little....even tried jumps. My brother in law is really good, and can get like 4 feet+ out of the water. Well, to me thats really good.

So yeah, it was pretty cool this weekend (water temp-wise) but we went anyway. Probly next weekend too...

If you're wondering, it's lake Tippecanoe near Warsaw, Indiana. Shot with the "video" feature of a Nikon CoolPix Digital Camera. I dont have a video camera...

If anyone else has any videos, please share. I'm a TOTAL newbie at this....but it is FUN. It's definitely going to be a new hobby of mine. Totally embarrassing video to follow...

www.willanimateforfood.net/wakeboard/Adam_jump.mov
    www.willanimateforfood.net/wakeboard/Adam_jumpWipe.mov
    www.willanimateforfood.net/wakeboard/Adam_lowjump2.mov

2. scem0 macrumors 604

scem0

I've had a couple people tell me I should take up wakeboarding after doing a backflip on the ground. I could definitely see me doing wakeboarding, but until I try it I'll never know.

scem0

3. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

I've tried surfing, but my bad balance and hatred for water made surfing a miserable experience, as I really can't stand falling into water again and again for weeks... :)

4. etoiles macrumors 6502a

etoiles

I only went wakeboarding once this year, took me a few days to recover because I was really out of shape (broke my leg earlier)...

went a couple times last year, though, lots of fun. It took me about three attempts before I was able to get out of the water the first time I tried, but I have been snowboarding for a few years so that helps.

My jumps are still pretty modest (maybe 3 feet), I need to build up some muscles in my legs and overall confidence (and go more often). :)

nice movies, btw

5. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Yeah, my bro-in-law gets waaaay out of the water, grabs the board, and jumps over the wake. It's pretty cool. Not as good as the other dudes on the lake doing whirlybirds and what not, but still pretty good

6. makisushi macrumors 6502

Wakeboarding rules!

I have been wakeboarding for about 12 years and I love it. It never gets old. My first board was an O'brien Woody, I wish I still had it.

You should check out wake skating too.

7. Mr. Anderson Moderator emeritus

Mr. Anderson

Drove by Tippy the other day, have to say its a nice lake and I'm looking forward to taking the kayak out on it.

So how sore were you afterwards? :D

D

8. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Tried a wake skate this summer, what i really want to try is wake surfing. But we dont have a boat that puts out enough wake.
    :(

9. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

Not sore, I did plenty of skiing this summer to work the kinks out. But crashing sometimes rings yer bell.....instant headache.

Tippy is pretty nice, a lot of BioMet flags flying at the mansions...

10. makisushi macrumors 6502

Crashing and smacking the water with your face and open eyes is the worst.

11. Spizzo macrumors 6502

Yeah, my brother used to complain about landing on his eye. I never believed him, but the last time i went riding, it happened to me. I landed on my eye. Worst wreck i've had yet. :D

12. MacAztec macrumors 68040

MacAztec

Its fun, but too much stuff is needed. A boat, a driver, a board, a large lake, etc. I like surfing. All you need is a board and waves.

13. paxtonandrew macrumors 6502

I do, but recently i have struggled to find the time. I have the perfect setup (Boat and Gear wise) for Wake-boarding, a Sea Ray Bow-rider with a 320 Hp Mercruiser that propels the boat to over 95 km/h on a flat day. The only problem is there are only two in my family at the moment (i.e no kids) so getting the in-laws or other family members out, so you can enjoy a Ski is hard, but not impossible. It is a bit difficult to take any videos at the moment, as I have just purchased a new camera, and i have trouble driving and videoing the skier as well :rolleyes: . The sport is a good one to get into, but becomes very expensive with fuel costs and the booze costs (that is the only way to get my brother out) and then when you break some equipment, the repair/replacement costs are high also.

14. agreenster thread starter macrumors 68000

agreenster

True true, but try finding some waves in Indiana. ;)