Waking From Sleep Not Immediately Responsive?

Discussion in 'MacBook Air' started by $MacUser$, Dec 15, 2011.

1. macrumors 6502

When my MBA wakes from sleep the screen comes on, etc, but it takes a few seconds for the mouse pointer to become responsive. I know this doesn't sound like a lot, but it is kind of noticeable and I don't recall this on any previous macs.

Normal or not?

2. macrumors 604

theSeb

Are you sure about that? I am not sure why people expect a computer to wake up from sleep instantaneously.

3. macrumors 6502

It is normal. When the Air has been asleep for more than a certain time (a few hours, not sure of the exact time) it goes to deep sleep. This means that the RAM contents are written to SSD and the system is powered off. When recovering from deep sleep it needs to first recover the RAM from SSD. This takes a few seconds.

4. macrumors 6502

Mine does it too... seems normal based on the fact that it has to do something things before it can be ready to go.

5. macrumors regular

This is normal ever since lion came out, but I can say from experience that 10.7.3 (beta) definitely fixed this for me. Kind of sucks that they took so long to fix this, but better late than never, right? :D

6. macrumors 6502

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; CPU iPhone OS 5_0 like Mac OS X) AppleWebKit/534.46 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.1 Mobile/9A334 Safari/7534.48.3)

My screen takes a few seconds to switch on maybe 5-10 but doesnt bother me

7. macrumors G4

If it's unplugged and the lid is closed for more than 70 minutes, it drops into "deep sleep" which lets it preserve the battery for up to 30 days. It then takes a few seconds to wake back up. If you have FileVault 2 enabled, it adds another second or two (even from normal sleep).

If you close the lid and immediately reopen it, it should come back in about 2 seconds.

8. thread starter macrumors 6502

If i close the lid and open it immediately the screen comes on, then it takes about two seconds from screen power on to become responsive, which i guess is where the weirdness factor comes in. This is def not deep sleep, nor is FileVault enabled...

...but if it's normal I guess I'll just deal with it.

9. macrumors 65816

I noticed the same thing with my 2010 13" MBA. Takes a few seconds before the pointer responds to trackpad input.

10. RHA
    macrumors newbie

Glad to hear they fixed it in the new beta. During the week if not traveling I keep my MBA in office lid down and unplugged (not off in case I take it to a meeting) but having it available has been very slow

11. macrumors 6502

I'm running Snow Leopard (don't know if it's the same for Lion), but I disabled Deep Sleep a while back and I'm really happy with the instant on behavior after sleep:
    sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

12. macrumors member

Just saw that 10.7.3 is supposed to come out any moment now. I was encouraged to read above that 10.7.3 beta apparently fixed the long wait for waking from sleep. I'm getting really annoyed with this issue, so I do hope 10.7.3 will finally sort it.

13. macrumors 6502

Just to confirm since I finally upgraded, this seems to work for Lion too.

14. macrumors 6502

It looks like your macbook might have narcolepsy!

15. macrumors 68030

The only time I get a wake delay is if I close the screen then immediately reopen it, it takes a little while to respond. If I close it, leave and come back later tho, its instant.

16. macrumors G4

Note that even with 10.7.3, it still takes about 8 seconds to recover from deep sleep (maybe 1-2 seconds longer if you have FileVault2 enabled). However, waking from "normal sleep" is quick, and the snaking, jerkiness, etc. that some have reported appears to be gone.

17. macrumors regular

I am currently pulling the latest revision. I tried the 11d33 release, but the sleep issues remained. The issues are pretty much obvious to anyone who had an MBP with an SSD. My 09 MBP w/SSD woke up /instantly/. As in, within a half second. The Air, while the display turns on and is viewable, the trackpad and keyboard remain unresponsive for 3-5 seconds. This doesn't sound like a big deal, but it is very annoying from someone who's far slower machine woke up 6x faster. It is an issue, and it has nothing to do with the deep sleep feature. It is ever present.

18. macrumors 68030

anyone having long wake times...have you tried turning off bluetooth. I know it is responsible for several issues (like forgetting wifi connections)....maybe its that.

19. macrumors 6502

Mine definitely does not do this with deep sleep disabled, running 10.7.2. Yours does?
    sudo pmset -a hibernatemode 0

20. macrumors regular

Yes, it still does it, regardless of hibernate being turned off or not. The trackpad still hangs. I even went to the Apple store and tested it on every single MBA, and it does it on all of them.

21. macrumors 6502

Must be unique to the latest Thunderbolt Macbook Airs. I don't have this problem on my previous generation.

22. macrumors newbie

Just got off the phone with Apple. I installed 10.7.3 developer's version, did all the SMC / PRAM resets, disables hibernation and the issue still exists (cursor / keyboard not responding for 4-5 seconds after opening lid). Do you guys think it may be hardware related? It seems all the MBAs at the Apple store had the same issue.

23. macrumors 68040

MBHockey

This is something I noticed right away coming from a 2010 15" MBP with intel SSD. On that machine, the keyboard and trackpad are immediately responsive upon waking. With the MBA, it takes quite a few seconds (3-5) before finger movement on the trackpad elicits cursor movement on the screen or keyboard presses register.

13" MBA Core i5 with 256 GB Samsung SSD

24. macrumors 65816

agentphish

same. plus my wifi doesn't re-connect automatically or see my airport extreme 5ghz network on wake.

Lame.

25. macrumors 604

onthecouchagain

Mine has never ever been "instant on" upon waking from full sleep. It's been like this since I got it, and no update as of yet has made it better. Edit: 2011 13" base model

Personally, it's not that big of a deal waiting 4-6 seconds, but it's definitely not "instant" as Apple touts. More marketing smoke screen...?