Waking Up to the iPod Alarm Clock

Discussion in 'MacBytes.com News Discussion' started by MacBytes, Aug 6, 2005.

1. macrumors bot

2. macrumors 6502a

mac 2005

Very cool tip. Plan to make much use of this feature.

3. macrumors G5

nagromme

The iPod's built-in alarm sound is short and quiet, but it does work with no speakers attached--if you're a light sleeper!

This is why I want a top-mounted mini-speaker that runs without batteries. The cheap speakers that came with my eMachines have NO power source--they just play the signal coming down the wire, like headphones without a strap! But they're surprisingly loud, given then. Not good, but loud enough to wake by, and to fill a small room with music. And my iPod Photo can drive them for hours.

So I want the same from an iPod speaker/pair: a single unit that snaps on like an iTrip. Several exist already, but they all require batteries.

4. macrumors newbie

IndigoQuack

Nice!

Although I actually use my iBook (and previously my G3 iMac) as an alarm clock, thanks to the excellent iRooster

The clever thing about that is its ability to wake your Mac from sleep, if needbe, to play the alarm.

I liked it so much I even registered! :)

5. macrumors 68000

Squire

How about an iTalk? It would do the trick (although I wouldn't necessarily call it cheap.)

Squire

6. EGT
    macrumors 68000

EGT

Ohh cool. I've always wanted something like this! :D Thanks!

7. macrumors member

8. macrumors G5

nagromme

That's a thought--and it would allow voice memos if I wanted. But there are some little STEREO speaker units now--like Podwave, which would be ideal if only it could run without batteries! I like the stereo aspect for having background music in the room while I'm doing something.

(It's possible that Podwave does play at reduced volume without the batteries--I'm not sure.)

9. macrumors regular

I like the idea of an iPod alarm clock, but Apple needs to add a snooze function. Also, it would be nice to make it shuffle your wake-up playlist without having to set the global "shuffle songs" function on.

10. macrumors G3

Chip NoVaMac

Neat idea. But I travel with the Altec Lansing traveling iPod speakers (IIRC the IM3 now). Runs off AA batteries, no bigger than a small book. Used on my recent trip to SF to give me my tunes while in the room (trying to stay away from TV), and it was a great alarm clock too.

Since some are wowed by this tip, did you know that iPod has a sleep timer too? Fall asleep to your favorite tunes for a p[reset amount of time, and your iPod turns itself off!