Waking Up

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by lexus, Mar 24, 2007.

1. lexus macrumors 68000

Mar 26, 2006
    Depends Greatly On The Weather
    I am a heavy sleeper, so I need to use different ways to wake up in the morning. So far the best is to have an alarm go off on three of my cell phones strategically placed around the room.

What do you guys use to wake up in the morning?
  2. Shaun.P macrumors 68000

Jul 14, 2003
    Omicron Persei 8
    I just use the alarm on my mobile. That always wakes me up. I'm not that heavy a sleeper.

3. Plymouthbreezer macrumors 601

Feb 27, 2005
  4. Hummer macrumors 65816

Feb 3, 2006
    Queens, New York NY-5
    That was my old method. I've gotten prone to waking up after the first alarm and turning off all of the rest of the alarms before they go off. I got so good I would be doing it when I was half sleep with my eyes closed. My new method is only to get 2 - 3 hours of sleep because then I'm not in as deep of a sleep when I need to wake up.
  5. iSaint macrumors 603

May 26, 2004
    South Mississippi y'all, near the water!
    I've gotten better about waking up, as much as I hate mornings. My cell phone wakes my up at 5 a.m. everyday. I jump in the shower immediately to get me going.

On weekends I'll sleep until 8 or 9.
  6. siurpeeman macrumors 603

Dec 2, 2006
    the OC
    it's saturday, and i woke up at six. :confused: normally, though, i rely on an alarm clock that's outside my reach.
  7. epochblue macrumors 68000

Aug 12, 2005
    Nashville, TN
    I use a combination of an alarm clock, the snooze button, and a bit of panic. Seems to work great, but I'm sometimes later to work than I'd like to be ;)
  8. ®îçhå®? macrumors 68000

Mar 7, 2006
    I wake up at before 6:30 naturally but at 6:45, my dad comes and tells me that it is time to get up so i do, go in the shower, go bak to bed for 20 minutes and wake up at 7:18. My schedule works and the timings are very precise.
  9. iRachel macrumors 6502a

Apr 21, 2005
    The Soybean Captial of the World
    I use two alarm clocks. The first one goes off fifteen minutes before the second, and is next to my bed. The second one is out of my reach, so that I have to get up to turn it off.
  10. psycoswimmer macrumors 65816

Sep 27, 2006
    Hahaha. That would be a great April Fool's "joke" to put that in your siblings' rooms. :D

I have to get up at 6:30 for school every morning. I set my alarm for 6:22 and press snooze. Then I get up.
  11. BigPrince macrumors 68020

Dec 27, 2006
    I have 2 alarm clocks on opposite sides of the room. If I am especially tired, I set the alarm on my computer too.
  12. Chrismcfall macrumors 6502

Aug 10, 2006
    Oh wow. Great. I just use one alarm on my phone, which gets louder and louder.
  13. Motley macrumors 6502

Dec 11, 2005
    Same here, I'm actually disappointed if my alarm goes off.

I can usually pick a time and wake up by it.
  14. cheekyspanky macrumors 6502a

Jan 21, 2004
    South Bucks, UK
    I use multiple alarm clocks, 2 on a clock radio next to my bed, 5 on my MBP and a further one on my mobile phone that I leave in the corridor next to my bedroom.

And the other week I still managed to sleep through all of them and get to work 2 hours late :(
  15. TheAnswer macrumors 68030

Jan 25, 2002
    Orange County, CA
    Well...since the time change, I just can't get to sleep early enough for any successful wake-up strategy to work. I used to used the radio alarm on my alarm clock to "prep" my wake-up sequence then wake-up after the first couple of "blleeuurrpp"s of the tone alarm...now it seems I'm hitting snooze for at least another 30 minutes of sleep.
  16. vniow macrumors G4

Jul 18, 2002
    I accidentally my whole location.
    The meds I'm on make me pee a lot so I always wake up at around 8:00 having to go to the bathroom regardless of how much sleep I've actually had.

Lousy bladder.
  17. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Dec 27, 2002
    Location Location Location
    There's an alarm clock shaped like some sort of puzzle, and when the alarm goes off, the clock "falls apart". You need to put the pieces back together before the alarm stops ringing.

It's supposed to be a guaranteed way to wake you up in the morning.
  18. SkyBell macrumors 604

Sep 7, 2006
    Texas, unfortunately.

Sure, I'm going to chase that thing around the room...[/sarcasm]

My mommy wakes me up. :)
  19. thequicksilver macrumors 6502a

Sep 19, 2004
    I have an iPod alarm clock and set it to play a playlist of inspirational pieces of music very very loudly right next to my ear. Typically I can't bring myself to turn it off, only down, because I love the song, and as I love it I want to hear it out. Even when heavily tired, I'm usually (but not always) awake enough after a track or two.

I'm a very bad sleeper too (my issue is more getting to sleep at appropriate times which in turn causes me to wake up stupidly) but I've found this quite a good technique.
  20. Deepdale macrumors 68000

May 4, 2005
    New York
    Color me envious ... I used to get up at that time when I was younger. For years now, my internal clock has me up hours before any bird would even begin chirping away.
  21. mpw Guest

Jun 18, 2004
    Old style alarm clock as large as I could find empty biscuit tin with my loose change in on the other side of the room, that's what I used to use for 5:45am starts.
  22. NightFlight macrumors 6502

Feb 25, 2007
    Northern Virginia
    I never have a problem waking up, but my roommate does.

He has two alarm clocks, one of which has a vibrating pad he places underneath his pillow and another one is literally as loud as a fire alarm. First he only had the alarm that was about 100dB and he still didn't wake up, neighbors complained to the front office three times and they threatened to kick us out so he had to buy the vibrating one. True story.

Try to find a vibrating alarm clock, and immediately wake up and take a shower.
  23. TheDance511 macrumors 6502

Feb 5, 2007
    California soon
    holy mashed tapatoes.........100 db..like a rock concert
  24. macmama macrumors regular

Nov 26, 2006
    New Jersey
    Small children are especially handy to assist in the wake-up process. I bet you can find a parent nearby who would love to lend you theirs around 6am if you don't have one yourself. ;)

But in the days before the small child method, I used to set my alarm clock for about 90 minutes before I actually had to get out of bed. Then I would hit the snooze button a good 7-8 times. By the ninth time, I had resigned myself to get the heck out of bed. Whatever it takes.