Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Teh Don Ditty

macrumors G4
Jan 15, 2007
Maryland
Wal-Mart is even more evil than MSFT :eek: (if that's possible) I have never stepped foot in one and never will. The no iPod support is dumb. Jeez, just single out 65%+ of the market why don't ya?

You are pointing out Wal-Marts flaws.... cancel or allow?

Maestro64

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2005
Philadelphia
If Walmart's success (or lack of) in music downloads is any indication, Apple has nothing to worry about when it comes to movie downloads. Walmart isn't exactly known for tech-related innovation and ease of use.

My exact thoughts, I am not sure they are even ranking on the music download stats, anyone know how many songs they sold?

Face it Walmart has no concept of a user experience thus the reason they too are loosing market share to Target

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
Yes, of course, I do forget you can hook up your iPod to TV!

I was referring that you can hook up your ipod to your tv :eek: Yes, I'm aware that on laptops they have svideo out and stuff....BUT MOST budget laptops offer NO WAY of hooking your computer up to your tv, I know since I have one :mad: So then you're other choice is hopefully your desktop is sitting right next to your big screen tv. My point was with the ipod, all you need is a simple wire and presto! Most people have iPods last time I checked, so a lot of people may be left out with getting it on their tvs.....Do I even make sense, I've been busy studying and I think I've lost it, haha

You can't blame Walmart for no iPod support since Apple refuse to license out fairplay. Blame Apple.

The labels won't allow non DRM movie content, either. So, DRM has to be there and if there's DRM it won't support Apple, because Apple won't support microsoft DRM and due to the Fairplay issues.

Wal-Mart is even more evil than MSFT :eek: (if that's possible) I have never stepped foot in one and never will. The no iPod support is dumb. Jeez, just single out 65%+ of the market why don't ya?

You are pointing out Wal-Marts flaws.... cancel or allow?

Butters

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
UK
guys, who seriously think DRM protected WMV will not be hacked? its everywhere!

If people plan on cracking the DRM, they might aswell just download torrents, bigger selection and all for free ..usually in a real video format that *shock horror!* works on macs AND?? pcs!! :eek:

if you feel guilty about stealing, just buy the movie too then delete it.

*not that I'm encouraging any of this behaviour*

Stella

macrumors G3
Apr 21, 2003
Canada
whats the point for doing so? iPods video's resolution is so poor, why bother put it on TV anyway. :D

Better than watching it on a tiny screen?! :) Imagine, 5 people hundled around your iPod watching a movie - LOL.

What is the quality like - iPod -> TV? Anyone?

Watchable?

Butters

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
UK
Better than watching it on a tiny screen?! :) Imagine, 5 people hundled around your iPod watching a movie - LOL.

Watchable?

640 x 480 h.264 is very watchable.

so is the old 320 x 240 in some senses but it's not the best.

moesker007

macrumors member
Jun 28, 2005
Minneapolis, MN

Watchable?

Ya, it's definately watchable actually it's not too bad at all. But ya 5 people around a lil iPod screen is pretty fullalrious (fully hilarious)

clevin

macrumors G3
Aug 6, 2006
If people plan on cracking the DRM, they might aswell just download torrents, bigger selection and all for free ..usually in a real video format that *shock horror!* works on macs AND?? pcs!! :eek:

if you feel guilty about stealing, just buy the movie too then delete it.

*not that I'm encouraging any of this behaviour*

lol, ask ppl who want to unlock iPhones, i was stating a fact, no judgment involved. :D

BTW, usually, Xvid or DivX has better quality/size ratio. Real video is that nice, and its encoding software isn't free.

640 x 480 h.264 is very watchable.

so is the old 320 x 240 in some senses but it's not the best.

Im surprised u guys would accept this "watchable" standard. i guess that everybody's own preferences tho.

and eventually, its all about bitrate.

Butters

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
UK
lol, ask ppl who want to unlock iPhones, i was stating a fact, no judgment involved. :D

BTW, usually, Xvid or DivX has better quality/size ratio. Real video is that nice, and its encoding software isn't free.

by real video, I didn't mean the actual Real media format, no I hate that. I meant real (or "of quality") video formats such as mpg, Divx, Xvid etc. instead of wmv which IMO is a stupid format. kind of like .mov but not as bad.

Butters

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2006
UK
Im surprised u guys would accept this "watchable" standard. i guess that everybody's own preferences tho.

I guess all anybody is saying is that it's watchable, nobody is saying it makes brilliant TV or gives an enjoyable experience, because it doesn't really. I'd much prefer to watch a DVD over it or obviously HD video, as I'm sure you would too.

But if say you want to show a friend that really funny south park episode you watched last night hooking ur ipod up to a tv is an alright way of doing that

Mr. Pippin

macrumors newbie
Sep 13, 2006
Any word on the resolution and any of the technical details of these movies?? I can't seem to find it on the website

Technical details on the site when you pick a movie indicate they have two resolution downloads (portable and PC). The portable version includes two files.

Highest resolution is 640x480.

Portable version is NOT compatible with the iPod (no surprise).

More depressing is no description of sound quality. More than likely will ONLY be stereo (no surround).

So, appears to be about the same as Apple's store.

If Apple would ONLY support DVD quality movies (both video and sound) as well as this working on the Apple TV, I'd be much happier to download movies from Apple's store.

No AC3 on the Apple TV is real bummer so far.

As is, no one has a good solution, yet. IMHO

MacVault

macrumors 65816
Jun 10, 2002
Planet Earth
Two Words for WalMart: No Thanks!

3000 videos = very good amount and way more to choose from than iTunes catalog of videos.

Windows Media & DRM = F^(K it! Either of those by themselves is enough of an ABMOMINATION, but put them together and you really have the biggest CLUSTER-F^(K known to man.

fall3n

macrumors 6502
Aug 17, 2006
Definitely still beta...

Attachments

• wal_beta.jpg
    wal_beta.jpg
    145.9 KB · Views: 108

jettredmont

macrumors 68030
Jul 25, 2002

Movies playing off my wife's 5G iPod look better than most stuff coming off DirecTV (much less macro blocking) and Comcast digital cable. Not quite as good as a high-bitrate DVD, but certainly better than VHS.

"Watchable" is good for having a movie on the go with you to watch in a hotel room, etc, without hooking up your own DVD player or laptop. I wouldn't ever think of replacing my DVD player in my home theater setup with an iPod, but for what it is (video on the go) it works well.

stomachdoc

macrumors member
Jul 28, 2004
Outside of Boston
It is kind of curious how slow the arrival of new studios on iTunes has been, especially given the landslide music business. Now, iTunes has been leapfrogged by WalMart in terms of video variety.

I use my iPod as a movie storage device; I download (or, mostly, Handbrake) movies onto my Mac, put 'em on my iPod and take my iPod with me to my weekend place. I watch the movies on a 42" plasma and they are certainly acceptable, probably about as good as a VHS tape. It's a very convenient way to carry video around. I wish there was more downloadable choice. I've pre-ordered an :apple: TV; we'll see how useful that is at home streaming from the Mac.

kevinoneill

macrumors newbie
Jan 9, 2007
My first experience with Walmart.... and this wasn't a loading error, i tried reloading... nada!

But they do have an awsome (but ugly) java applet for finding actors with in movies and finding other movies they've done and who was in them, very nice feature.

worked fin in IE fyi...

walmart.JPG

andiwm2003

macrumors 601
Mar 29, 2004
Boston, MA
works only on my Internet Explorer on XP, no Firefox. but the selection is impressive. this will be tough for apple. i can't imagine that too many people care to watch videos on an iPod anyway (maybe i'm wrong) so this is a strong competition to itunes. steve better gets more movies on his service soon.

TheBobcat

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2006
East Lansing, Michigan
I don't know, I have yet to see an offering from any video download service for full movies that really makes me want to buy it as opposed to DVD. It's not that much cheaper, and it really isn't all that much more convinient (at least for me). Maybe when the Res. is comparable, and things like :apple: TV are cheaper and more prevalent, it might take off.

Until then, I'm happy with NetFlix and my DVD Burner. Wait, did I just say that out loud? :D

Krevnik

macrumors 601
Sep 8, 2003
The problem with this service is that the TV shows haven't caught up to iTunes in quality. 320x240? Sheesh! Wow, I save 4 cents, and get far worse video quality? Yay!

Movies should be on par with iTunes for quality, but even then, the pricing structure is higher than iTunes' baseline... with the advantage being more selection.

Sad thing is... I can rip certain DVDs for less money than iTunes or Wal-Mart. Now, if Apple would support managed copy from Blu-Ray or HD-DVD for Apple TV and iTunes at 720p, I would be a happy man.

kalisphoenix

macrumors 65816
Jul 26, 2005

640x480 H.264 is indistinguishable from a DVD, at least on my (admittedly low-tech) 19" CRT TV. And bitrate is meaningless unless you're comparing two different bitrates of the same codec, and even then there are other factors to consider.

macrumors 68000
Feb 5, 2007
Specs

Specifications from Wal-Mart.com:

PC Format: Recommended for our customers that do not own or intend to purchase a compatible portable video player. PC/Laptop videos can be played on a PC/Laptop or on the TV via a Windows Media Extender (e.g. Xbox 360) or through direct connection from a PC to a TV. Videos in this format have the highest image quality. Technical Specification: 640 X 480 maximum resolution, 30 fps, 1,500-1,700 kbps average bit rate. THIS FORMAT WILL NOT PLAY ON MOST PORTABLE VIDEO PLAYERS.

PC & Portable: Recommended for our customers that own or intend to purchase a compatible portable video player. This bundle provides the greatest flexibility providing you two files: one to play your on PC, and one for your portable players. This bundle requires approximately 30% more storage space and time to download as a stand-alone PC/Laptop format. PORTABLE BUNDLE FILES ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH iPODS.

Available TV Episode Formats:

Portable Format: Our TV episodes are optimized for fast downloads and viewing on the go. All TV shows can be played on both your PC/Laptop and compatible portable video players. Technical Specification: 320 X 240 maximum resolution, 30 fps, 500-810 kbps average bit rate. PORTABLE FILES ARE NOT COMPATIBLE WITH iPODS.

I think competition is a good thing. But Apple's product differentiation will easily justify the four cent premium for iTunes-purchased downloads. I don't particularly understand what Wal-Mart hopes to accomplish by completely ruling out any chance of migrating content to the iPod, the most popular portable media player on the market. However, it's entirely possible Wal-Mart, as powerful as they are, didn't have a choice in the matter.

If they were, like Apple, struggling to negotiate with studios for their own online downloads it certainly would explain a lot of the pissing and moaning from their end prior to launching the beta store. Apple has a very good head-start though... partly because of their timing, but also because of their market presence with integrated solutions to browse, access, purchase, download and play the product.

The important thing to note here is that competition IS good, that Apple will be kept on their toes by competitors seeking to edge them out and that means more choices and better products at better prices, and, perhaps most importantly, this demonstrates that despite Wal-Mart's whining and initial fears, internet distribution of movies is happening with or without them.

Wal-Mart would have been utterly foolish to persist in deluding themselves to believe otherwise.

... isn't it interesting, though, how closely this beta release comes after Disney announced their initial figures and pointed, particularly, at the fact that their biggest sellers' DVD sales were not hurt by downloads. That in fact, for "Pirates of the Caribbean 2" and "Cars", both iTunes purchases AND DVD sales grew...

It's as if the Reality Fairy flew over Wal-Mart headquarters and jettisoned a few bricks of hard data directly over the board room.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.