Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Back in May, Wal-Mart announced that it was expecting to begin offering the iPad for sale in its U.S. retail stores "later this year", and with the holiday shopping season rapidly approaching and rival Target launching the device in over 1700 stores around the United States just this past weekend, speculation has centered around when Wal-Mart might follow suit.

223929-walmart_ipad_stock_500.jpg

In a potential answer to that speculation, we've received word that Wal-Mart sent an email to its store managers today outlining the iPad models and related accessories that should be making their way to store shelves in the near future. According to this partial photo of the alleged email sent to us, Wal-Mart plans to offer all six models of the iPad, with initial stock of just five units per model for this location. In addition, a number of standard accessories, as well as AppleCare, will be also be offered.

Wal-Mart currently offers over 2,800 "Supercenter" stores around the U.S. along with an additional 750 somewhat-smaller discount stores, presenting a significant opportunity for Apple to expand the iPad's distribution network should the device be carried in all of the chain's stores.

Article Link: Wal-Mart Preparing to Offer iPad

krishatesworld

macrumors newbie
Sep 2, 2010
Statesboro, GA
"...with initial stock of just five units per model for this location."

It's not unusual for Walmart to keep low initial stock of a high value item. "One to show and two to go" is how stocking usually goes on cameras and other electronic devices, mostly for security reasons.

macduke

macrumors G5
Jun 27, 2007
Over 6 months since the iPad launch, and I still can't find a camera connection kit anywhere. Best Buy never has them, neither does the Apple Store when I'm home in KC. With there being 5 Walmarts (!) here in this podunk town that I attend college, I'm hoping that I can at least snatch up one kit. I guess I could always order it online, but meh. I don't need it THAT bad, but it would be convenient and I always check when I'm at a store.

MorphingDragon

macrumors 603
Mar 27, 2009
The World Inbetween
Over 6 months since the iPad launch, and I still can't find a camera connection kit anywhere. Best Buy never has them, neither does the Apple Store when I'm home in KC. With there being 5 Walmarts (!) here in this podunk town that I attend college, I'm hoping that I can at least snatch up one kit. I guess I could always order it online, but meh. I don't need it THAT bad, but it would be convenient and I always check when I'm at a store.

Order online?

Bytor65

macrumors 6502a
Feb 10, 2010
Canada
Apple is really making the most of their first mover advantage.

I am actually getting sick of seeing iPad commercials. Apple will own mindshare completely by the time a credible competitor shows up.

Resident Guru

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2008
I'm in management with Walmart and I can confirm this is accurate info. The communication just came down today. We will initially only have the iPads in 1000 stores.

Edit: I see now they have updated the post with info about the initial distribution to 1000 stores.

VicMacs

macrumors 6502
Sep 7, 2003
Dominican Republic
I think the production issue is overcome now, lets give iPad to the world!!

We have official distribution in latin america, and Apple is saying "I can make as many as you want"

It's beginning to look a lot like X-Mas! :D

Jennx143

macrumors newbie
Jul 16, 2010
sweet! hopefully i'll be able to pick up a camera connection kit soon :] my boyfriend has the ipad, but we all know who's it really is ;]

kugino

macrumors 65816
Jul 10, 2003
i wonder if walmart tried to bully apple into selling it at a lower price...then again, can anyone really bully apple? don't think so...

not a fan of WM...guess steve really wants this thing to sell like hotcakes, eh?

Minimoose 360

macrumors 65816
Jul 7, 2008
NY
in b4 snooty Wal-Mart haters.

EDIT: Wait, also in after.

Take the golden rods out of your asses and realize that no matter where you buy a product from, it's the same product.

halhiker

macrumors member
Jul 16, 2006
Only $499

I'm glad to see Walmart won't be sticking customers with an extra 99¢ charge like Best Buy and Target do. It's very annoying to have those places charge $499.99 for a $499 item. It's only .2% of the purchase price but it's annoying.

bruinsrme

macrumors 604
Oct 26, 2008
OMG walmart selling the ipad.

Let's see, if every walmart in the usa sold them that would increase the locations someone can walk in to buy one by over 5000.
BTW there are less than 250 apple stores.
increasing you supply chain by 5000+ outlets, that is a horrible decision.:rolleyes:
So will this move devalue the ipad, like it did to the iphone?

Caliber26

macrumors 68020
Sep 25, 2009
Orlando, FL
in b4 snooty Wal-Mart haters.

EDIT: Wait, also in after.

Take the golden rods out of your asses and realize that no matter where you buy a product from, it's the same product.

LoL...I think it's hilarious that all these insecure clowns will now have to live knowing that the uber trendy iPad they're walking around with can also be bought by any patron of Wal-Mart. Good for Apple Inc. They're in it to make money and push their brand to the masses, not to cater to the few stuck-up imbeciles out there.

cvaldes

macrumors 68040
Dec 14, 2006
somewhere else
Walmart is not exactly the type of retailer Apple would want their products to be associated with.
That kind of snobbery almost destroyed Levi Strauss. They refused to let Walmart carry their jeans and their business fell off a cliff.

Today, that episode is a classic business school case study.

Go where your customers are. The iPad is a consumer electronics gadget. Lots of people buy lots of consumer electronics at Walmart.

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL

I have been seeing them at the Apple Stores in Chicago. They were initially hard to find. I ordered mine online after failing to find them several times. You would think they could ramp up production quickly of something so simple...

4nNtt

macrumors 6502a
Apr 13, 2007
Chicago, IL
Walmart is not exactly the type of retailer Apple would want their products to be associated with.

I'm not a fan of Walmart, but they are everywhere. They reach a lot of people in rural areas. Target is more popular in metropolitan areas. By stocking at both Target and Walmart, they have pretty good coverage. I don't see why Apple would care. They only care if the product is the best, not the users. Just because they have their own stores doesn't make them a boutique brand. They are definitely going for the mainstream. Besides, think what you will about Walmart shoppers, but they often have no other choice because Walmart tends to drive out all the competition in rural areas.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.