wal-mart rant (long)

Discussion in 'Community' started by joetronic, Mar 9, 2005.

1. joetronic macrumors 6502

So today on my lunch break I go to Wal-Mart (I must add that I never go to wal-mart for anything besides car stuff) with my mother to buy a battery for her car. When I find the battery she needs I take it off the shelf and it leaks all over my pants. I go the Service desk and here is what happens:

I tell them what happenes and ask how they will reimburse me for my pants (witch now have this nasty purple stain going down my left leg) I am still in a nice and polite tone. these this is what happens.

They say they will contact the manager. 25 mins he finally shows up.

I tell him what happens and says "I don't belive that could happen. our batterys are sealed up real good" in a snotty tone.

"sealed up reall good" Now come on.

I go show him the battery thats leacking and he says "what did you do to if for this to happen?" I say "it was like this, how are you going to remburse me for my pants?"

He says "we don't have anything like here"

WTF!!! I say "thats bull s**t, I know you have some sort of liability, its F'n wal-mart"

He tells me to keep my voice down, I know I was getting out of hand, but christ. so I lower my voice, there are children around, not becuase he's afraid of a scene.

I ask him agian how he is going to reimburse me for my pants. He says "its not our policy, but you can pick anything off of the mens racks"

Again WTF. I tell him these are 50$ pants, and he say "yeah right, we have pants for 10 here.

After a little more arguing I get his name and store number. he gives me a F'n 20 gift card. I tell him if I have a rash, or any red marks when I get home I will be calling a lawyer. he gets all sh*ty and tells me to have a good day.

Oh yeah, he goes the the greeter and askes her if my pants were like this when I came in. She says "no, I would have noticed a big purple stain like that"

Now lets just say I already hate wal-mart for the money grubing capitalist pigs they are, this just takes the cake. I thought they were all about customer service, and keeping the community happy. now I'm stuck with a 20$ gift card I will never use, as I will never set foot in a sprawl-mart* again.

I don't have a rash from the battery acid, but part of me hopes I did. I would love to make them look bad. Even if I didn't win, just imagin the bad press they would get.

Also, did you know that they will not let there employees join a union. Thats just scary.

My spelling in this is bad, and I appoligize. I also appoligize ahead of time if I offeneded anyone

2. PlaceofDis macrumors Core

good customer service and wal-mart should never be in the same sentence

they are only good for low prices on some things
    i dont like 'em either, but they really are just about the only place to shop out here in DeKalb, which sucks

sorry about your problems, but it doesnt surprise me either

3. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

1. I'm not surprised you were treated like that. Wal-Mart is all about "shut up, don't make a fuss, spend your money here, work here for minimum wage and unpaid overtime".
    2. Don't go to Wal-Mart. What were you thinking? I could be bleeding to death from a head wound I just received and I would not go to Wal-Mart for bandages.
    3. Not that I wish harm on you, but I hope that you do develop a rash. If you do, hire a lawyer and SUE them. Having leaky CAR BATTERIES is inexcusable and extremely negligent. What would happen if the purple stuff got in your eyes?

Disclaimer: I'm a good capitalist, but I also believe you can go too far. Wal-Mart has gone too far.

4. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

Could not agree more

I normaly don't. But they are the only place around here that has car stuff (oil, oil filters, batterys, ect...) at a normal price, The auto parts in this area are extremly high. I would normaly rather bleed to death like you than shop here.

I am hoping too. What if it was a littel kid shoping with is partents and something happened.

5. howard macrumors 68020

howard

6. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

I might use it to buy toilet paper, so everytime I wipe, it reminds me of Jeffereson (managers name).

I wonder if they sell any with is picture on it.

7. EJBasile macrumors 65816

EJBasile

Snotty Wal-Mart Workers LOL!!!

Was it the battery acid from in battery? That suff can be very dangerous!

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

sounds to me like you got really angry really quickly... :confused:

not that you didn't have a right to, but it's not his fault that the battary leaked... he didn't make it.

what are you doing changing car parts in clothes you think are expensive anyway? edit: re-read the post, you got it off the shelf... my bad

i still dont see how flipping out at the manager helps anything...

9. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

I didn't flip out untill he got an attitude with me, and asking me what I did to cause this to happen. In my post I said I was polite untill then.

I normaly don't get upset fast, and normaly easy going. I wasn't even upset untill he got an attitude. If he would have been polite, I would'nt even be angry at all. I would have laughed it off and thought it was funny.

10. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

yeah, wal-mart is not cool, any one see how the people of inglewood, ca actually didn't allow walmart to be set up there, now that was cool. and as far as shopping at wal mart i remember i was gonna get a book case there once cause it was only 30 dollars but when i went to check it out it was just soooooooo flimsy and for 20 dollars more i went to costco instead and bought a really sturdy one, it really sucks for the communities who only have walmart to shop at. i'll NEVER shop there just because of how they manufacture everything, little kids in 3rd world countries making their clothes, or their mothers working 15 or 16 hour shifts for only a couple dollars, thats just not right, while they have like 5 of the top 10 richest people in the world as their ceo's or whatever they are. OK ENOUGH.

11. Thomas Veil macrumors 68020

Thomas Veil

I already shopped at Wally World as little as possible, because of their anti-union stance, their off-the-clock hours, etc. But the thing that really decided it for me was when they took out policies on their employees called Dead Peasant insurance.

12. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

The entire store is covered with video cameras, they probably have a 7 to 30 day hold policy and they will prove your claim.

13. tech4all macrumors 68040

tech4all

Despite the negative talks about Wal Mart, I have always had a good experience there. No it's not a "classy" store, but it is decent for some things. Take fishing tackle, when I was into fishing I loved to go to Wal Mart to buy stuff for fishing. Employees were very nice.

In regards to the thread. IMHO, it seemed a bit odd for you to ask them how they were going to reimburse you for your pants. I mean I understand the situation, but to me it seemed a bit odd and out of place, IMO. Is there some sort of policy about this? I hope that doesn't sound sarcastic, which I am not trying be. I'm not trying to say that you were wrong or anything, just seems sort of odd. Nonetheless, I do hope you get your pants replaced.

But I am sorry to hear of your bad experience :( Did you ever get the battery for your mom though?

14. MongoTheGeek macrumors 68040

MongoTheGeek

Its not so much where you are as when you are.
    One issue Walmart is with managers is that they expect them to be able to fix themselves or leave. Store managers that get complaints just sort of sit where they are.

As for the purple stuff... Automotive batteries are sheets of Lead and lead oxide packed in sulphuric acid (either gelled with silica or with fiberglass mats)

If the liquid is Sulphuric Acid it would be slightly greenish in color and smell slightly of rotten eggs. The purple may very well be a dye. In any event the pants will not likely survive the wash to get the die out. Holes from acid appear with washing.

The $20 gift card is probably not acceptable. Calling the EPA and OSHA is a good threat to get something better.

Profanity is a bad way to go because then they can call the cops and have you taken away for disorderly behavior and trespass.

For revenge drop the battery off on a stack of charcoal bags...

Anyone else see this?

15. stubeeef macrumors 68030

stubeeef

Outstanding Idea, if nothing else it will be something nasty hanging over their head, because they are government bureacracies nothing will happen, unless you know someone who knows someone in the epa/osha offices.

16. clayj macrumors 604

clayj

An even better idea would be to call the "consumer watchdog" reporters at your local TV stations, and let them know that Wal-Mart is stocking leaky and potentially dangerous car batteries in their stores. Make sure you play up the "a child could have been injured" aspect of the story. You may not personally get anything out of it, other than the satisfaction of holding Wal-Mart's feet to the fire.

17. Eevee macrumors 6502a

Eevee

Car batteries contain SULFURIC ACID, which is very DANGEROUS! Not only should they reimburse you for your pants, but also pay for the acid burns that might show up in a few days. I would take pictures of the leaky battery, pants, and any stains on your leg, document them with dates in case you get serious acid burns.

I would also get the names of the manager and the guy who got him. This is very serious blunder by Wal Mart.

18. JesseJames macrumors 6502a

You should've grabbed the battery and hurled it at the manager. Then sprint for the sporting goods department and got one of their cheapo Charles Daly
    12 gauge shotguns. Loaded up and screamed "Merry Christmas mXXherfXXXer!!!" as you dealt some satisfaction for yourself.

19. SFVCyclone macrumors 6502a

LOL, loved this way of handling it.

20. Silencio macrumors 68020

Silencio

Evil. Pure evil, I tells ya.

WalMart should be required by law to hang a sign reading "Abandon all hope, ye who enter here" at the entrance to every one of their stores. (And the employee entrances, too.)

21. joetronic thread starter macrumors 6502

follow up:

I did not have any burns, but the pants fell to shreds later that night (after I took them off, i was showing the wife).

I had a buddy go to the Wal-Mart later that day and he saw the battery in question back on the shelf. He took a picture with his camera phone, but this will not hold up as evidence in any court, so its just for personal use.

I do have a call in with OSHA, and am calling "comsumer watch" today. Everythign is documented, and I do have pictures of everything except the battery. I also have all times and names and all.

As for the purple stuff. The pants were green, and the purple did not show up untill the liquid dried. It did smell like rotten eggs.

As for the foul lanquage. I know it was a bad idea, and when I relized there were children around, I stoped. I was just very angry at the Manager for not taking it seriosly.

And no, I ended up not buying a battery for my mother. I will be going to a different store for that.

I will not be using the gift card until this is done with. I will keep you all updated.

22. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

Yeah, I hope you get that rash! ;)

Heck, I'd take the faulty battery, find the guy's car, and hold it over his hood. But wait, Walmart batteries don't leak because they're sealed so well!! Riiiight. If that were true, his car would be fine. ;)

And if he asked me to tone it down, I would, but if he continued to b.s. me, I'd make sure I caused a scene and mention the words "battery acid" and "my pants" as many times as possible. However, you SHOULD NOT HAVE ASKED FOR REIMBURSEMENT!! He should offer it to you. No customer ever gets anything if they walk up to an employee or manager and ask for it. It sounds like you're just trying to get stuff for free. Always wait for the offer. Trust me. ;)

If a red mark develops on your leg later on, make sure you take a picture of it and sue for $10 million. :) I'd get a picture of the leaky battery as well. Heck, I'd make sure that the manager caught me taking pictures of it. He'd get worried quick!!

23. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

Sorry to hear that happened.

Add me to the list of people who hate Wal-Mart. The town where I go to college has a Wal-Mart and nothing else so I'm forced to either shop there or drive 70 miles to a Target, so I just go to Wal-Mart. The place is so filthy and trashy, they've raised prices recentley on a lot of stuff (rollback my ass...) and while their TV commercials say Wal-Mart is such a friendly and liveley place to shop, the store says otherwise. The employees there are so unfriendly, and I can't stand their policies on CDs and videogames. They refuse to sell unedited CDs, I don't need Wal-Mart to babysit for me, and they won't sell violent video games but I can walk 20 feet over to Sporting Goods and buy a shotgun. Go figure :rolleyes: And I've heard they treat their employees like crap which is unacceptable. I work at Target during spring/winter/summer breaks and the work sucks, but having a trashy store and being rude towards customers not tolerated at all, plus, we risk losing our jobs if we work off the clock, where I hear Wal-Mart loves to force people to work off the clock

24. angelneo macrumors 68000

That's the sulphuric acid at work there. I used to work with vehicle batteries as well when I was a technician. Once the battery water spilled onto your clothes, that particular piece of clothing is a goner. If I am not careful to wash them off immediately, there are bound to be skin irritation.

25. Lacero macrumors 604

Lacero

Walmart will do whatever is necessary for their bottom-line.

NY Times is running an article about Walmart fighting against unionized labor by closing one of their stores in Quebec.