Wal-Mart to write own name on notebooks

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by SiliconAddict, Nov 21, 2003.

1. SiliconAddict macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

http://news.com.com/2100-1044_3-5110593.html?tag=nefd_top

I think we have a new poll question. Would you EVER purchase a Walmart laptop? I'm all for cheap computers and its nice to have options but not at the cost of having something craptacular.
    I just have to giggle at the though.
    "Hey Tom what laptop are you running?"
    "Oh I've got an IBM T40. You?"
    "I've got a PowerBook 17. What about you Bob?"
    "I'm running a Walmart." [​IMG]

The article says "it could send ripples across the PC industry" Ya fits of laughter as the screens burn out on these things, as the mobo burns out, as the CD-ROM flings disks from the drive, as ....well you get the point.
    Nothing purchased from Walmart ever seems to last very long. I doubt a laptop would be any exception.

*shrugs* I figured this would amuse you guys. :D

2. leet1 macrumors 6502

If prices are right and they end up being good quality, I would buy one when I need a new laptop.

Who cares about a name on it?

3. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

Walmart has much money to spend. I wouldn't overlook walmart.

4. kuyu macrumors 6502a

kuyu

it would be great for a sub$700 market. I wouldn't mind having a backup crapper pc for school. I bet they will sell a ton of 'em.

5. medea macrumors 68030

medea

well I wouldn't buy any pc, but if by chance I did need a windows run laptop I would doubtfully buy a walmart brand. There are many reasons for this, but the big one is I never shop at Walmart, I can't stand the place.

6. SiliconAddict thread starter macrumors 603

SiliconAddict

Name no. But quality. As I said Walmart isn't exactly known for high quality stuff. Just being cheap?

7. evil macrumors 6502

oh man im dumb. i thought this article was referring to paper notebooks until the last paragraph.
    i was wondering what the big deal was.

8. gwuMACaddict macrumors 68040

gwuMACaddict

gotta be better than a compaq or a gateway

;) ;)

i'm oh so thankful that i use a mac

:D

9. leet1 macrumors 6502

Using a compaq laptop now, they aren't bad :D

10. mico macrumors newbie

Would you support a company that does not pay a decent wage to workers or makes people work overtime without paying them for it or destroys small businesses left and right all in the name of higher profit margins when they already have high profit margins. Do a little research and see what shopping at Walmart does besides giving you cheap goods. There I feel better.
    http://www.alternet.org/story.html?StoryID=16685

11. 1macker1 macrumors 65816

1macker1

Put up a link about apple's new iTunes partners....McDonalds and Pepsi, while you are at it. Ok I feel better.

12. leet1 macrumors 6502

Local walmarts pay around 6.50-8.00ish to their workers. If small businesses can't compete and Walmart has the better prices, who cares :cool:

This is how the world works ;)

13. Mantat macrumors 6502a

--------
    Local walmarts pay around 6.50-8.00ish to their workers. If small businesses can't compete and Walmart has the better prices, who cares

This is how the world works
    -----------------

The world works as you want it to work. Thinking like that is very close minded. Its like not being interested in politic because you can't change anything. If you dont do anything, nothing will happen.

Think Different!

BTW: Wal Mart use pricing techniques which are almost illegal to destroy competition. We are not talking about the wage they pay their worker, but at how to act with their supplier.

Anyways, I hate them shopping there is totaly borring! I rather like to pay an extra 3$ and not be depressed when I come out of the store...

14. leet1 macrumors 6502

Do you usually have fun shopping for groceries or random items? lol

15. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

hmm... it's well intended to try to "expose" what's wrong with walmart (and other giant retailers) and such, but the truth is, price speaks and most consumers in this country are CHEAP when it comes to shopping for commodity goods. (defined as goods where price is the primary deciding factor... cars are not commodity but plane tickets are.)

so, not sure how we can do it... for most things, consumers in america want the cheapest prices and (somewhat hypocritically) decent services. we'll walk to the edge of earth looking to save $10 in plane tickets but scream bloody murder if we don't receive a drink on the flight... :rolleyes:

walmart caters to these consumers. there's nothing really "wrong" with walmart, as much as something's "wrong" with the mass consumers...

16. medea macrumors 68030

medea

Sorry, but there is plenty "wrong" with walmart, such as:
    Myth: Wal-Mart creates "hundreds" of new jobs for communities.

Fact: Studies show that for every two jobs created by a Wal-Mart store, the community loses three. Jobs that are retained by a community are merely shifted from local businesses to the giant retailer. In a 1994 report, the Congressional Research Service warned Congress that communities need to evaluate the significance of any job gains at big-box stores against any loss of jobs due to reduced business at competing retailers. The report also pointed out that these so-called new jobs "provide significantly lower wages then jobs in many industries, and are often only part-time positions, seasonal opportunities, or subject to extensive turnover." The Real Story is that when Wal-Mart moves into the neighborhood, it devours local businesses and lowers community living standards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myth: Wal-Mart has "always low prices, always."

Fact: The local newspaper in Carroll County, Arkansas conducted a test of Wal-Mart's low price claim. Surveying a list of 19 common household items at six Wal-Mart stores over a one month period, the newspaper staff found that Wal-Mart was cheapest on only two of the items . The lowest register receipt for all 19 items was $12.91. The highest total for all items came from Wal-Mart at $15.86. The Real Story is the high cost of Wal-Mart's prices: lower wages, more imports, lost U.S. jobs, lower community living standards.

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Myth: Wal-Mart's presence in a community generates tax revenues.

Fact: Studies conducted by small towns on the impact of proposed Wal-Mart stores have shown that tax revenue reductions are more likely to occur after a Wal-Mart moves into an area.

A Maryland study showed that in the years following the arrival of Wal-Mart, "town tax receipts from personal property and ordinary business corporation taxes grew but at a declining rate." The study said that "the expected growth in income taxes may have been offset by low-wage jobs offered by the large retailer and by the loss of employment in competing businesses. . . ."

Myth: Wal-Mart's workers receive good health benefits.

Fact: Wal-Mart's Health Coverage Leaves Most Workers Uncovered.

Huge employee premium payments and big deductibles keep participation in Wal-Mart's health plan to 38% of employees. That's 6 out of every 10 employees--more than 425,000 Wal-Mart employees, most of them women, who have no company provided health coverage. Nationally, more than 60% of workers are covered by company paid health plans. There's more: Wal-Mart workers pay insurance premiums that cover close to half of Wal-Mart's health plan expenses. The national average shows that employee premiums cover just over 25% of health plan expenses incurred by companies nationwide. The Real Story is that Wal-Mart freely acknowledges shifting its health care costs to taxpayers and responsible employers. A company spokesperson said, "[Wal-Mart employees] who choose not to participate in [Wal-Mart's health plan] usually get their health-care benefits from a spouse or the state or federal government." Wal-Mart is the biggest beneficiary of its health plan because the company shifts $1 billion in health care costs to the government and responsible employers.

Myth: Wal-Mart "Buys American" and Wal-Mart "Brings it Home to the USA."

Fact: Two 1998 studies that surveyed clothing on Wal-Mart store racks and shelves found 80% and sometimes more thatn 9o% of the apparel items were produced overseas, many in countries where sweatshops and child labor are prevelant.

"The truth is," says the National Labor Committee, "Wal-Mart has moved far more production offshore than the industry average." There's more: Commenting on Wal-Mart's "Buy Mexican" program, an expert on economic nationalism said Wal-Mart is ". . .shamelessly manipulating nationalist sentiments in both countries. . . . For all its public nationalism, Wal-mart is reinvesting its all-American dollars overseas."

17. jxyama macrumors 68040

jxyama

my point was that walmart didn't just come out of a vacuum... it's an enterprise born almost out of necessity to satisfy american consumers' hunger for a store offering the widest selection of the cheapest commodities. if it wasn't walmart, it would be something else. and the same 'evil' tactics used by walmart would have been used by some other company to achieve the same result...

walmart and its evil practices will not go away without addressing american consumer's endless desire for convenience and low prices. advocating boycott of walmart is noble and all, but will not put a dent in their operations until something is done to curve the insane american consumerism.

18. leet1 macrumors 6502

19. rainman::|:| macrumors 603

rainman::|:|

my biggest problem with walmart as a whole is that they have this silly habit of moving into (small) towns, stealing business away from every single mom-and-pop store, then realize they're not as profitable as they had hoped, so they pack up and leave. the town has no functional economy anymore, because it was monopolized by walmart, and people move away. a ghost town is born.

it's gonna be funny to see what goes wrong with these laptops first. even if they start with a decent model, they'll cheapen it further, and wind up with a pretty big mess. i hope they catch fire :) that's generally not good PR for laptops...

pnw

20. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

I'm going to Wally World, to buy a cheap computer. [​IMG]

Sorry no thanks.

But with the price of household supplies and cleaners, Wally World is a good place to go when you need to buy something to wipe you ass -- cheap.

---

They are the masters of "loss leaders."

They've figure exactly which products the average consumer, shops for deals on.

They offer those products, at (or under) wholesale. And make a profit on everything else in the shopping cart.

21. XnavxeMiyyep macrumors 65816

XnavxeMiyyep

Ugh, I would never buy anything from Walmart, especially something that was branded Walmart. But, according to one of my friends, Walmart dial-up internet is faster than AOL's dial-up internet.

22. latergator116 macrumors 68000

latergator116

23. leet1 macrumors 6502

Everything is better than AOL ;)

That service is terrible, lol

24. Mantat macrumors 6502a

YES! Its actualy fun to shop where I live (Plateau Mont-Royal, Montréal, Québec, Canada). Most of the stores are small boutique and you can find high quality food that you wouldnt find anywhere else. Google a bit and you shall see that the Plateau is rated as one of the coolest place to live in america. And yet, its not in the USA. Incredible hein? ;-)

I am used to pay premium for quality products, thats why I have a mac!

25. Sun Baked macrumors G5

Sun Baked

The La La Times has a new 3 part WalMart Series...