WALES! WALES!

Discussion in 'Current Events' started by SpaceMagic, Mar 19, 2005.

1. SpaceMagic macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

WE WON!!! (RBS Six Nations Challenge by the way FIRST TIME IN 28 YEARS! :p)

I'm so proud to be welsh! I'll go paint the town red tonight!

2. wdlove macrumors P6

wdlove

Now you know how Red Sox fans after winning the World Series after having to wait for 86 years. Congratulations to you and your team.

Haven't heard that comment in a long time. Remembering hearing it growing up. Please be safe with your celebrations. ;)

3. OnceUGoMac macrumors 6502a

OnceUGoMac

4. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

looking through rose-tinted spectacles...
    Congrats! I've been to a few Welsh rugby games and the fans were always wonderful. You deserve a good celebration although I suspect that Cardiff is pretty red already!

I stopped watching rugby quite so much when it turned pro since it was fairly obvious that the Union with the money (England) was pretty much going to stomp on everyone else. This year's been a lot of fun

5. WinterMute Moderator emeritus

WinterMute

Yes, congratulations to Wales, consistently the best team in the Championship this year, even though they rode their luck more than once.... ;)

It's a better competition when there are more teams competitive than just England and France, now all we need is for Ireland to get back on track and things could be really interesting.

Bring on 2007, I reckon England might be in shape to defend thier world title by then.

6. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

The All Blacks may have something to say about that. :p :D

7. ac2102 macrumors member

ac2102

Wales have been simply awesome. THe fans too. It was amazing to see that almost 40,000 red shirts took the trek up to Edinburgh for the Scotland match. The best team won.

Wonder if there will be any repercussions for the little punch up!

Wish i was in Cardiff tonight!

-ac2102

8. combatcolin macrumors 68020

combatcolin

About time Leek land did something to shout about ;)

9. 748s macrumors 6502a

748s

chokers :p :D your last 3 world cups have been.........well, hmm.......err.....not good. ever since the south africans poisoned the all blacks they have not gone well (and then they only lost 15-12). congratulations to the welsh. A good night to be in cardiff....or pontypridd.

10. Nickygoat macrumors 6502a

Nickygoat

Congratulations - Wales fully deserved to win the title. After all the bad times that Welsh rugby has been through it's wonderful to see a good Welsh team. I have one question for you though - why were you posting on here and not in the pub with the rest of the country? :D
    And Blue Velvet - the All Blacks aren't going to win anything until they ditch Super 12. Although I might have to eat humble pie in June ;)

11. Blue Velvet Moderator emeritus

Well, at least we have won one World Cup and a few Tri-Nations along the way... got a good feeling about 2007 (but I'm sure all Kiwis feel like that).

The Lions are a different prospect... but bring it on! :D

12. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Hey! It's the morning after the night before... and boy was it a night.

Cardiff Bars and Clubs took in ONE night what they normally don't take in a WEEK!

It was packed! And the best thing was Irish and Welsh fans dancing merrily together, I saw absolutely no fighting...

Funniest scene of the night: Irish couple outside a chippy (US: Like a fries shop.. but better fries) started irish dancing... and then EVERYONE in the queue joined in... and others came over.. huge pool about 90 ppl dancing merrily both irish and welsh fans... amazin.

13. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Sounds like a great night tho I'm less surprised at the 'no fighting' since generally rugby fans are less likely to (and the Irish fans are generally more interested in the craich!

I have vague but fond memories of the 1990 Grand Slam that Scotland won - I remember being on the midnight train home with bottles of champagne being handed around the carriage.

14. CelticBhoy macrumors member

unsaid, but it's what everyone's thinking

Congrats to Wales, I remember the teams from the 70's.

But let's be honest, a game where men round about with a funny shaped ball, throwing it to each other and trying to get it over a bar, is only for wimps. Doesn't matter which side of the pond, or whichever hemisphere, you're on.

We all know that football (soccer) is a much better game. People here are only being polite by not mentioning it.

But congrats again to Wales. They certainly gave us (Scotland) a doing !

15. Applespider macrumors G4

Applespider

Speak for yourself mate - I'd much rather watch any game with funny shaped ball over soccer which puts me to sleep - any game where a 0-0 finish can be a good result isn't for me. There's way too much kicking the ball round the middle of the park without getting it upfield in soccer - and there isn't as much strategy as in rugby/American football either.

Soccer is popular partly because it is so simple; any number of people with a ball can play some version of it. Rugby and American football require more people, more equipment and more coaching but are far more complex games.

16. SpaceMagic thread starter macrumors 68000

SpaceMagic

Agreed, while I'm not a ball sports fan in general. Rugby is by far my favourite. Its so much more involved. Same as American Football. I really lose interest watching most football games. But then again, each to his own.

17. Chappers macrumors 68020

Chappers

Wales played great rugby and deserved the title.

18. RealDeal macrumors member

heart and soul- a welsh trademark!

congrats and (terrible spelling) "prynu hufen ia" (approx.can i have an icecream) from pre-school dual welsh-english school- glory days 30 years later...

England Rugby being great has been a bit boring over last while- apart from royal alleged scandels between ol' Di and Will Carling...

Now let's get some formula one welsh greats!!!

Also- lets get some NHL Hockey again- athletic non-sterioids guys (pity no cheerleaders)- and fun for all...