Walking into a Apple store with iOS 7.

Discussion in 'iOS 7' started by Am3r1ca16, Aug 25, 2013.

1. macrumors 6502a

Am3r1ca16

Have any of you walked into the Apple store with your iPhone with the iOS 7 betas. I know employees can get fired for publicly displaying iOS 7 to customers. But what if you did? Would you get kicked out?

I'm just wondering lol.

2. macrumors 6502

No to do so I belive you must be a developer for them to service your device

3. macrumors regular

Dennis187

What if you walked into the Apple store with Google Glass on

4. Moderator

Nermal

Staff Member

I don't think he's talking about service, just showing it to other customers.

5. macrumors 6502

Apple will not service an iOS 7 equipped device, only developers should have it and as a developer one should be able to do any repairs short of physical on their test mule phone.

As for showing iOS 7 around...doubt you'd get kicked out.

6. macrumors 6502a

I'm sure they would't kick you out, but they won't service your device. And if you're showing it around they might kindly remind you of an NDA you may or may not have agreed to.

7. macrumors regular

They service your phone even if you have iOS7, i got my phone replaced with iOS7 and they knew I had it

8. macrumors 6502a

Technically they aren't supposed to. Whether or not they do is on the employee.

9. macrumors 6502a

famous600

I've seen a better post holding my fence up. You would actually be publicly executed on site.

10. bjb.butler, Aug 25, 2013
    Last edited: Aug 26, 2013

macrumors 6502a

bjb.butler

Not true, at all.

I had my 5 replaced a few weeks ago with iOS 7 beta on it... Home button was failing. They didn't even check to see if I'm a registered "developer". Genius was just like "oh cool you're running iOS 7"

In addition, I've seen at least three other threads on here where a person with iOS7 has gotten their phone replaced.

11. macrumors G3

charlituna

No you wouldn't get kicked out. However if you are going in for service and it's not something that is 100% hardware like a busted screen you are most likely SOL. Policy is they tell you to contact developer support, restore it etc. they do not support pre release software in stores.

----------

You got lucky. One that they didn't send you home to restore it first and second that they swapped the whole phone. They are supposed to fix just the home button.

Oh and they have no way to check that you are a legit developer. Which is why they assume you are and tell you to contact developer support. If you ask what that is you just confirmed it for them.

12. macrumors 6502

Nanasaki

I actually showed iOS 7 beta 1 on the released day to one of Apple store manager. I talked with that manager few times before, so I kind know him personally. I also showed iOS 7 to 2 other employees. They were all amazed by iOS 7 and we had chat around half an hour.

So, no you won't get kicked out. If you do, you could sue them for money. LOL

13. macrumors 68000

WhackyNinja

One of the Geniuses had iOS 7 on their phone and he showed it to me like it was nothing.

14. macrumors member

there's two apple stores in my city and one has a pretty huge reputation for being super dick-ish to all their customers

so healthily for the last two years it's been tradition for me to install the beta and wander in to the store with it running day 1

and have the particularly douchey people stand mouth agape when i ask for advice re: something

(I am a dick)

15. macrumors 6502a

It's fine to show the latest developer build iOS in any Apple Store. You just shouldn't be obtuse about it or mention anything that would be considered a trade "secret". They won't usher you out of the store and some of the employees might even chat with you about it. Basically, if it wasn't covered in the keynote, you probably shouldn't talk about it. You also shouldn't misrepresent the OS because it's not finalized. You have in your hand a draft copy of the OS. Things are always subject to change by the time it reached GM. It's kind of like insider trading. You have to know what information is public and what is not public. If you had a pre-developer release copy of iOS on the other hand, there was probably a very strict NDA with that and Apple would enforce.

16. macrumors G5

Macman45

If you are properly registered with Apple and are entitled to be running BETA software, then they will happily service / replace your phone irrespective of what version of IOS it's running. I suspect that roaming around the store showing off the new OS to other customers might get you a warning though..:)

17. macrumors 68040

bandofbrothers

Slightly off topic....

I remember when I walked into my Network Shop {02} in the Uk, with my iPhone 5 with the iOS 7 Theme {i'm not a Dev}, and the employee looking gob smacked , and asked to have a play around with it !

:D

18. macrumors demi-god

mirageboss

No you wouldn't get kicked out, It just depends on what exactly you were doing as to if you would get kicked out.

Same, except my issue was with the Sleep/Wake button. The Genius however did indicate they aren't supposed to do anything with iOS7 and advised next time to bring the device with iOS6 until iOS7 is made public.

19. macrumors 68030

BvizioN

Why would you? For showing an Apple product in an Apple store? I don't think so. iOS 7 announcement was prodcasted to public on WWDC 2013 so it's not like you are revealing their secret or something.

20. macrumors member

glitch82

Just relax, why don't you? Nothing going on here but some nice Apple fans sharing the iOS 7 experience with Apple employees and vice versa. We all like Apple things and short of this being escalated to a regional director or something I'm sure no one is going to get in any trouble.

21. macrumors regular

Its great that theyre being like that. It would be unfair for us iOS7 owners to have less control over service on the device just because its under software testing

22. dhlizard, Aug 26, 2013
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 26, 2013

macrumors G4

dhlizard

This thread reminds me of someone gloating over having "gotten" away with something :rolleyes:

It also amazes me the inaccurate stories that circulate about what Apple employees will do or not do if they encounter a jailbroken device (in this case running developer software). Where do folks come up with these ?

23. macrumors 6502

You're probably get laughed at and then pitied by everyone for spending $1500 on beta software?

24. macrumors 6502

Walked into the Apple Store Westfield today for an appointment for my MacBook Pro Retina.

As I was using my iPhone the Genius who was serving me said "ahh iOS 7 how do you like it"

So no. No one is getting fired.

Apple's marketing. Thats all it is.

25. macrumors P6