Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fastdrive

macrumors member
Original poster
Sep 28, 2006
Last night my phone's battery drained so I plugged in the wall charger and the phone does not charge.

If I hook it up to my laptop via the USB cable it charges. I tried two different wall adapters and both don't charge the phone. I made sure the outlets were working as well so that's not the issue.

I guess I have to make genius appt.

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
i had my iphone since june 29th. I charge it about every other day. This past thurday i went on a vacation to the Big Island of Hawaii. The first night i got there i still had around 50% battery and used most of it the first night. When i went to plug it in nothing happened. i tried nearly every outlet in the room. When i got home this past friday i plugged the same wall adapter into my monster surge protector and it worked perfectly. I called 1800-myiphone any the guy said theres no reason why the wall adapter should not be working. He also said they are experiencing a lot of problems with the wall charger.

rollingstart

Jul 15, 2007
Same here. My adapter stopped working after a pretty nasty storm last week. I woke up to find my iPhone, which was plugged in via AC all night, down to 50% battery and the AC adapter refused to work in several outlets.

Lo and behold, before I decide to make a trip to the Apple Store to exchange it, I try again...and now it works :confused:

Xtgirl

macrumors regular
Jul 15, 2007
This is a pretty common problem to have...I myself posted a while ago about it. You can call Apple and they will likely send you a new charger...you need the whole power brick...most people's problems are intermittent which creates some issues when you bring it into the store and they don't believe you. I think customer support at Apple is realizing this is a problem and they will get you a new charger.

Joshua8o8

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
Honolulu, Hawai'i
when i called 1-800-myiphone the rep was very helpful and sent me a knew one. I ordered it when i was on vacation not expecting it to work when i got back home. The rep said they would charge $15 to the credit card on my account, but when i send the old charger back the funds would be returned to my account. I hope since my charger still works i can send it back and they will still refund me. Its not my fault the charger only works when it feels like it!

JC4

macrumors member
Apr 19, 2006
Columbus, OH
Mine just died too. I always charge with my macbook, never had a problem. A month ago I read some where having issues with their power blocks, so I used it for a couple days. It worked fine. We're about to head out on vacation, so I tested the powerblock, it did nothing. Like above, I tried a few outlets, nothing. Tried it again this morning, nothing. I probably don't have time to get to the Apple store before we leave. :(

Do iPod charges work? Any warranty issues? I can probably pick one up at a BestBuy or something.

x0lliex

macrumors member
Jul 2, 2007
I also have a problem with my iPhone ac adapter. Every two weeks or so it will not charge by iPhone, and the only way to charge the phone is via USB. Only once I have FULLY charged my iPhone via USB will the ac adapter work. I have had this problem only three times since I got the phone and I have had it since two days after launch so it is not common, but it is really annoying. It makes me believe that the ac adapter alone is not the problem, it is also something to do with the iPhone power circuit not recognizing the ac adapter. Rebooting and resetting the phone does not make it respond to the ac adapter either. I guess a phone call to apple is the only way to find out what to do.

bushbaby

macrumors 6502a
Aug 12, 2007
SoCal
I'm also getting different levels of charging from my wall charger. One day I might get a full charge but then the next two days the phone says it is not fully charged (even though it was plugged in overnight).

ctakim

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2006
After a month my wall charger stopped working. Took it to the Apple store and the guy replaced it in a matter of seconds with a new unit. No complaints about customer service here!:)

Natalia81

macrumors regular
Aug 7, 2004
Yep...same thing happened to me a few weeks ago. I took to Apple and got it replaced. I don't know if it was brand new or not. The guy just grabbed one out of a drawer behind the bar (it wasn't in a box).

bbydon

macrumors 6502a
May 18, 2005
ATL
So how are the new wall chargers working....the replaced ones?
Mine nly charged my new phone to 50% last night.
I hooked it up to my computer to get the remaining charge.

HARDWARRIOR

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2008
My wall adapter of iPhone 3G "works" very strange: when I connect it to iPhone nothing happens. No bolt on battery in status bar. Lock screen shows just a background, no battery indication. And battery level does not change until I disconnect wall adapter from iPhone! After few secs charge icon in status bar changes to 100%! I tried only big charge timess so iPhone could fully charge.

rjbasmagi

macrumors newbie
Oct 12, 2009
In my case, I never had this happen before the latest software update (I have a 16GB 3GS) and I think that may be the reason, unless others can attest that they were having the issue before the update came out.

vatoloco83

macrumors newbie
Dec 18, 2009
my charger did not work either, then i thought maybe the adapter couldnt handle the power from the outlet so i plugged it into a long extention chord and it worked, then i plugged it into the wall and it worked.. then i tried every outlet and it worked i guess the cherry needs to get popped with an extention chord.. it was weird.

moiz

macrumors newbie
Sep 10, 2010
iphone does charge when turned off, and itunes wont detect it!!

i replaced the back cover of the iphone, then after putting everything back, i never ever able to connect it to itunes through usb cable, but it does connect to itunes through wifi sync. i have to turn of the phone to charge it.

please please help

jgrant83

macrumors newbie
Oct 7, 2010
Annoying but temporary fix

My adapter has had this problem for months. If you plug the cable into the iphone, and have the adapter plugged into the wall socket, you then slowly insert the usb plug into the adapter at the wall until the phone makes the sound to tell you it's charging, then push it in the whole way.

It often takes many attempts but I've always managed to make it work this way.

When I'm near an apple store next I'll get it fixed. Although I bought it in Australia and now I'm in the UK so hopefully they help.

shepherdrianna

macrumors newbie
Dec 11, 2010
gloucester, united kingdom
iphone 2G Will not charge!

i receley bought a iphone 2G From play.com on21/11/2010. :(i receley had the iphone 3GS And iphone 4, i had no problems with them untill i had this one,:) and i just had a data cable with it and no dock, and i was having problems charging it on itunes with that cable,:mad: and i wanted to know why it wasn't charging? it came up in itunes fine :Dand it sync well but no charge:mad:. i thought it would be a good idea to go and get a charging dock:rolleyes: and that works well and charges and then i deced to go and get a wall adapter and it will not charge at all, i don't know what the problem is i just hate having to charge my iphone on my laptop and i need a adapter to charge while i am away and i did buy it from ebay and i think it could be faulty and it was very cheap :mad: so maybe i need to go and buy a official adapter from apple,;) i never had no box instruction manuals when i bought the phone.;) i just think that the adapter is faulty i think,:(

mikeysc

macrumors newbie
Jan 5, 2011
Restart iPhone

Last night my phone's battery drained so I plugged in the wall charger and the phone does not charge.

If I hook it up to my laptop via the USB cable it charges. I tried two different wall adapters and both don't charge the phone. I made sure the outlets were working as well so that's not the issue.

I guess I have to make genius appt.

I restarted mine and it went from dead to full.:apple:

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.