Wall mounting a desktop securely?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips, Advice and Discussion (archive)' started by jessearl, May 26, 2005.

1. jessearl macrumors member

What products are available to securely mount a Dell desktop to a wall? I'd also need room to put a battery backup there as well.

Maybe I can just stack the battery backup on top of the desktop though.

Anyways, what is available?

2. xli_ne macrumors 6502a

xli_ne

Buying a piece of wood and building a shelve :D

How securely do you need it?

3. jessearl thread starter macrumors member

Well it's going to be up on the wall, about eye level, in a back storage closet where we have all our telephone wiring and such.

So, essentially a shelf that will hold such a heavy load and maybe just a strap to hold it.

I just thought there might be something ready-made for this type of use.

4. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

The weakness will be in the wall, not the shelf, I suspect. I think the approach of going to home depot to buy something pre-made, or the necessary lumber for it, is the right one.

You could also go somewhere like Container Store to get some Elfa shelving, or something like it. It's very secure. I have several hundred pounds of dry goods, dishes, etc., all hung from that. To secure the computer, just get a strap (like a luggage strap), and run it around the chassis of the computer and through the slats on the shelf.

Here's a link: http://www.elfa.com/index.cfm?sprakid=2

It installs really easily, and Container Store will cut to the size you want (IIRC). All you'll need is a drill and a screwdriver (maybe a couple other basic tools, but not much). As I'm writing, I'm thinking this is your best solution. You could actually create a decent rack at the side of your closet. GEt a couple of shelves (3 maybe). One has the computer, another has the UPS, a third has any networking equipment (I assume you'll have a router and a switch in there). Pretty sure you can get the shelves only one foot deep, which is probably about right for a sideways-mount computer.